Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Bite

hlpressley

I like Glocks, I like them a lot but don’t shoot them near as much as I would like due to slide bite. I’m a big guy, with extremely big hands. Size 15 ring for reference. Before I completely write them off, is there anything that I can do? I’m running the largest back strap with the beaver tail and the slide still chews up the webbing of my strong hang in between my thumb and index finger. I shoot several brands of handguns, and shoot them all relatively well so I don’t think my grip is wrong. 

Pic for reference 

82FDCD8C-F4A3-44B0-8E40-DBFA0F4C18F2.jpeg

23 minutes ago, hlpressley said:

Doesn’t look much bigger than the factory supplied large back strap from Glock. This also likely wouldn’t be CO legal, which is my purpose for shooting a Glock. 

Too bad about the CO concerns, because that add-on is exactly what I have on both my G17 and G35. Our local USPSA club is not a stickler on the category rules, so it is not a problem for me. Although I use the G35 with frame mounted RDS and magwell in Open. The G17 has an ALG 6 Second Mount with Aimpoint and Streamlight for night matches and home defense.

Got it off eBay for ~$10 for a set of two, each a different texture. I use the same one as in the picture. 

3 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Too bad about the CO concerns, because that add-on is exactly what I have on both my G17 and G35. Our local USPSA club is not a stickler on the category rules, so it is not a problem for me. Although I use the G35 with frame mounted RDS and magwell in Open. The G17 has an ALG 6 Second Mount with Aimpoint and Streamlight for night matches and home defense.

Got it off eBay for ~$10 for a set of two, each a different texture. I use the same one as in the picture. 

Thanks. I may give one a try for some of my guns that aren’t used in competition. 

Edited by hlpressley

10 hours ago, hlpressley said:

Thanks. I may give one a try for some of my guns that aren’t used in competition. 

I’m in California so no Gen 4s or 5s for me. No exchangeable backstraps to try. I use this beaver tail piece and a Hogue Handall to make the grip a little larger for my modestly large hands, nothing like yours which make the gun look like a toy. 

To the others, aren’t these USPSA/IDPA rules something else. I understand the effort to keep categories clean, competitive and free of cheats, but sometimes they are just arbitrary.

I think your answer is in the last sentence of your post. If you shoot other guns and don't have an issue, go with one of them. There are a ton of good plastic guns out there, find the one that fits. Good luck 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I think your answer is in the last sentence of your post. If you shoot other guns and don't have an issue, go with one of them

He said he likes Glocks a lot and is looking for a fix for slide bite. Slide bite is not a unique or unusual problem. He should be able find a fix for it.

42 minutes ago, lgh said:

He said he likes Glocks a lot and is looking for a fix for slide bite. Slide bite is not a unique or unusual problem. He should be able find a fix for it.

He also said that there are a lot of guns that don't cause the issue, my input is go with one of them. So i guess the fix i am suggesting is take the ammo out  of the glock and put it in a gun that don't cause the issue for him. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

He also said that there are a lot of guns that don't cause the issue, my input is go with one of them. So i guess the fix i am suggesting is take the ammo out  of the glock and put it in a gun that don't cause the issue for him. 

Those other guns probably have a higher bore axis like Sigs. 

Just now, Paul49 said:

Those other guns probably have a higher bore axis like Sigs. 

Yeah, that seemed to hurt Max at optics nats didn't it?  And didn't Kim shoot a Walther for second?  Where was the top glock, i don't even know?   Glocks are fine guns, however, people come in all shapes and sizes, what works for one doesn't always work for another.  I hate to see someone throw good money after bad with a gun that just don't fit them.  The only reason i responded to this thread is glocks bite me too, granted they were the gen 3 models from back when you couldn't add a beavertail, so i originally was going to suggest a beavertail on a gen 4 or 5, but he is already doing that and it ain't working, so maybe one of the guns that don't bite him is the answer.  That is just a response based on logic and reason, but, whatever.... 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Yeah, that seemed to hurt Max at optics nats didn't it?  And didn't Kim shoot a Walther for second?  Where was the top glock, i don't even know?   Glocks are fine guns, however, people come in all shapes and sizes, what works for one doesn't always work for another.  I hate to see someone throw good money after bad with a gun that just don't fit them.  The only reason i responded to this thread is glocks bite me too, granted they were the gen 3 models from back when you couldn't add a beavertail, so i originally was going to suggest a beavertail on a gen 4 or 5, but he is already doing that and it ain't working, so maybe one of the guns that don't bite him is the answer.  That is just a response based on logic and reason, but, whatever.... 

You aren’t wrong. Your solution is one that I’ve already came to terms with unfortunately. I posted as a last ditch effort in hopes that someone may have experienced something similar and could share what they did to alleviate said issue. 

I do appreciate your input, as well as everyone else’s. 

Thanks for all of the input guys. Looks like my desire to shoot Glocks on a more consistent basis isn’t one that’s well founded. Too bad as I really like them. Mainly because they shoot well, but also because they’re the only platform that I’m comfortable working on myself due to the simplicity of the design. I tend to like to tinker. 

Hello: I fondled a Gen 5 Glock 17 a couple weeks ago and the owner said he put a Glock 19 backstrap on it. I don't know which Gen 19 or which one he used. That maybe an option or you will have to live with the two red racing strips on your hand like I have on mine from time to time. Grip reduction may work also. Thanks, Eric

4 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I fondled a Gen 5 Glock 17 a couple weeks ago and the owner said he put a Glock 19 backstrap on it. I don't know which Gen 19 or which one he used. That maybe an option or you will have to live with the two red racing strips on your hand like I have on mine from time to time. Grip reduction may work also. Thanks, Eric

Mine are much more than racing stripes. I’d post pics, but no one wants to see that! 

I think your answer is a Q5 steel frame😎

im shooting a gen 4 with the smallest backstrap w/beaver tail. No beaver tail will bite me sometimes. 

As bad as it pains me to say it, this might be a time when a person would be better off using a different gun instead of a bunch of practice.