Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Benevolence

329pd (aluminum 44mag) for competition?

Recommended Posts

I’m just getting into competition shooting but I have a 329PD for backpacking (my only revolver) and was thinking maybe it could be decent for competition if loaded with 240gr plated FN and trail boss to get just above major power factor (~700ft/s)? I don’t think the internals would be as nice as a 627/625 but perhaps a good into to revo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The internals are exactly the same as the 627/625/929 - All which are N Frame guns, so the gun could be tuned up just as nice as any other gun. Only difference is the barrel and cylinder.

 

That being said, it can work for competition, but isnt really the best choice depending on what you want to play - Because it's a 6 shot gun. For the majority of competitions the 8 shot guns really are the logical choice. But, you can absolutely participate in ICORE Limited 6, And USPSA Revolver Major division.

 

Best of luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be permitted, but you would be happier if you traded it for something else. Right now the 929 is probably the most widely applicable and ammunition is cheap.

 

The 329PD is short (sight radius) and light (heavy recoil) and reloads would be a score killer.

Edited by Waltermitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with a 329PD in IDPA and USPSA last year to see if I like revolver for competition (just like you). GO for it! IDPA is limited to 6 shots and it's a great hoot! The speedloaders drove me nuts (I used HKS) and I really fumbled with reloads on the clock. My loads were Trail Boss under 240 LSWC. I would definitely suggest plated or coated to keep the amount of smoke down when shooting fast. Ultimately I decided on a 625JM with moonclips after figuring out I really liked the challenge of revolvers. My 329 was definitely smoother than the 625 was out of the box. And you definitely know you are not going to win the whole match with a revolver so it takes the angst out of it, the measure of success is how much fun you have and how you feel you improve. Plus it is fun when you do beat a bottom loader though I had a few matches where I finished dead last, but really didn't care. Enjoy yourself!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I will look into that! I think I may have worn through the top strap shield so I need to send it in but that will give me some time to noodle on it. Thanks again. 

 

Ive shot a coupe hundred rounds of hot stuff already 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have started out shooting a 6 shot revolver.  I have a 625.  

Beating semi's is a hoot.  I've not finished dead last yet (close though) but am having a ball giving it hell. 

I say go for it.  The point is, unless you're making a living off of it, to have fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In IDPA it's not a big detriment you're limited to 4" barrels and 6 rounds with speed loaders, the PF is real light. 

In USPSA the lighter gun can be harsher due to a higher PF, the lack of options on speed loaders vs moon clips are another detriment.   8 shots moon clipped 38's are much more competitive in USPSA, but with the lack of interest you probably won't have to worry about seeing any.

I started USPSA with a 4" M29 cut for Moon Clips used 44 russians a 240 LRN and did quite well with that combo.

The frustrating downside of the 44 is the lack of RN bullets.  Though I've seen some listed for 150? rn from a place called Matts Bullets, never tried them though.

Right now I've got a 4" 325 Thunder Ranch I've used in IDPA and really enjoyed it, PF is higher for Moon Clipped guns vs Speed Loaders in IDPA.

But as a starter to see how much fun it is, go for it.  The 329PD is a nice looking gun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you pack your 329 I'd suggest getting it  cut for moonclips. That will benefit you on match day and also in the woods.  Moonclip reloads are much preferred.  My first DA was a 329 so i'm familiar with their appeal.  The 329 has since been replaced with a moonclipped .45 Redhawk.

 

 A 329 is not the most competitive gun out there due to the light weight, but is really no disadvantage if you're shooting ICORE L6 or IDPA.  If you branch out into other disciplines I'd recommend a 627 or 929.  You will be happier in the long run.

Edited by Alaskan454

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

save yourself money get a 45 for competition once you are sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you already have the revolver, I highly recommend jumping in and simply getting started.  From my experience, you will learn what you like, how deep you want to go and what will be the best fit.

 

Regardless, it's super fun and I think great training for the backcountry with the actual revolver you'd be carrying.  Really depends on your priorities and where you'd find the most fulfillment and fun?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, BHBret said:

I started with a 329PD in IDPA and USPSA last year to see if I like revolver for competition (just like you). GO for it! IDPA is limited to 6 shots and it's a great hoot! The speedloaders drove me nuts (I used HKS) and I really fumbled with reloads on the clock. My loads were Trail Boss under 240 LSWC. I would definitely suggest plated or coated to keep the amount of smoke down when shooting fast. Ultimately I decided on a 625JM with moonclips after figuring out I really liked the challenge of revolvers. My 329 was definitely smoother than the 625 was out of the box. And you definitely know you are not going to win the whole match with a revolver so it takes the angst out of it, the measure of success is how much fun you have and how you feel you improve. Plus it is fun when you do beat a bottom loader though I had a few matches where I finished dead last, but really didn't care. Enjoy yourself!!!

 

Must agree that I got spoiled with moonclips too.  Once i tried them with the 929, I don't think I can go backI   When I picked up a 686 4" for my backpack carry, I had it cut for moonclips and run some 170pf handloads for IDPA competition, just for fun and training.  I'm not a regular competitor so not competitive.  For me it's great fun and training with good people.

 

Actually enjoy the 686 so much that I'm going to sell my 929 as I'm more focussed on backcountry hunting than competitions.

 

Have fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run the 329 as you have it until you have saved up for a proper competition rig (depending on what you end up in - IDPA, USPSA, ICORE). My advice is not to sink any money into your current gun though. You’re going to end up getting a new gun anyway, so don’t waste the money on getting the cylinder cut, etc. Trust me, I speak from personal experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would respectfully disagree about spending money on the current gun.  Yes, he will likely end up buying another one.  But having moonclips on a defensive revolver is much preferred.  Also, learning to shoot your packing revolver in unpredictable ways can help illustrate your weaknesses. 

 

I've shot every packing pistol I have with full power loads in at least one match.  The most obvious lesson for me was that moonclips are king.  You can't possibly beat the reload time with speedloaders.  Especially when you are talking compact revolvers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, if he puts money into his current gun to make it better and more practical for him and keeps using it, then I would agree that it is money well spent.

 

However, if he is putting money into his current gun just to be able to play the game, and that money could go towards a separate gun, then I would consider it a waste. This is exactly what I did, and regret it.

 

The cost of specialty 44 moon clips and getting a cylinder cut would really add up fast, compared to say a 625 and stamped clips. Wouldn’t exactly need TK moonclips for 45 acp. And then if USPSA is the game, he’s going to want to go 8 shot anyway, so better to save up for a 929/627.

 

If you are putting money into a gun (any gun) for no other purpose than to compete, then it is typically better to put those dollars to use by going with the gun already designed to work (rather than retrofitting something that wasn’t specifically designed for that purpose). Same argument could be said about building up an open Glock, rather than buying a used open gun on the forum (yeah, I’ve made that mistake as well!).

 

I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from trying out Rev division with what they have... it’s just that I have made the mistake of slowly bleeding money into a gun, only later to realize that I should have waited and not spent a dime until I knew I wanted to commit. Still play, just don’t put money into a platform that isn’t designed for it. We would all agree that a Scandium framed 6 shot 44 magnum isn’t exactly designed for action pistol games, so it really comes down to what the OP wants to get out of his current gun.

Edited by J_Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, LifeisgoodSteve said:

 

Must agree that I got spoiled with moonclips too.  Once i tried them with the 929, I don't think I can go backI   When I picked up a 686 4" for my backpack carry, I had it cut for moonclips and run some 170pf handloads for IDPA competition, just for fun and training.  I'm not a regular competitor so not competitive.  For me it's great fun and training with good people.

 

Actually enjoy the 686 so much that I'm going to sell my 929 as I'm more focussed on backcountry hunting than competitions.

 

Have fun with it.

I ran one USPSA Match with full power 357 magnum 125 gold dots at 1450 f/s from my 627 (even though it still scored minor), was great fun and did quite well.

I also shoot my 325 Thunder Ranch with 170 PF reloads, not quite SD loads of 230 HST @ 860 f/s, in IDPA and placed really high against all the semi-autos.

I shot a M29 cut for moon clips in USPSA when Revolver first became a USPSA Division.  Then upgraded to a 625 in 45 acp which just had better options for competition (before the 8 shot minor change).

The issues with a 44 for competition are the following:

Lack of good RN bullets, cutting for moon clips cost a bit over $125 (not bad and can be good to have at any point), the moon clips are more fragile and expensive than those for 45 acp and are easily bent (for SD you can't carry them in a pocket like you can for a 45 they must be in a hard carrier) and with speed loaders it is slower.

I'd recommend going with speed loaders and competing for a few matches.  Then if you're hooked, hope so at least, and you want to compete in USPSA you will be best served with a 627 Pro 4" or PC 5" or a 929.  All are cut for Moon Clips and shoot 38 short colt/38 special/357 magnum or 9mm and with the TK or HearthCo Moon Clips set for a specific brand of brass will be the most competitive.  They are expensive but buy once cry once and you won't lose many to big footed semi-auto guys.  If you want something that would have a SD/Back Pack/Competitive use go with the 627 Pro.

If you like the idea of the 329 being used with moon clips, it is novel and won't hurt the gun or it's future use without moon clips, then get it cut and try them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'd agree with psks2.  When I mentioned I love and am hooked on moonclips, I wouldn't recommend cutting your 329pd specifically for competition as it's highly recommended to simply use that gun to get a feel for it before spending too much.  

 

That said, in my case I much prefer moonclips for my carry revolver too if I have a choice as they're so much easier and faster, at least for me without massive practice with speedloaders.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LifeisgoodSteve said:

Yes, I'd agree with psks2.  When I mentioned I love and am hooked on moonclips, I wouldn't recommend cutting your 329pd specifically for competition as it's highly recommended to simply use that gun to get a feel for it before spending too much.  

 

That said, in my case I much prefer moonclips for my carry revolver too if I have a choice as they're so much easier and faster, at least for me without massive practice with speedloaders.

 

Cheers

Agreed, I just couldn't trust the moon clips for my 44 in my pocket, tried them, as I worried about them getting bent.  

So I wanted a good 45 acp EDC and wanted something other than the M29 for IDPA Revolver?

Got a good deal on a 325 Thunder Ranch, smoothed it up like I want and carried it.    I just used some old USPSA Major PF loads I had.  Took it to a local IDPA Match and smoked it.  Everything worked great, had no issues and placed 4th Overall (1-PCC & 2-CO above me).

When I do carry it, I keep 2 moon clips in a front pocket and ?maybe? one on a modified JOX Speed Loader Carrier (with the mod's it works good for moon clips).

Now in a rear pocket even the 45 acp moon clips could get bent with my fat posterior bearing down on them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Got a good deal on a 325 Thunder Ranch, smoothed it up like I want and carried it.    I just used some old USPSA Major PF loads I had.  Took it to a local IDPA Match and smoked it.  Everything worked great, had no issues and placed 4th Overall (1-PCC & 2-CO above me).

 

Wow, that's pretty sweet results.  How are the scandium frames when shooting the higher pfs (170-200+)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LifeisgoodSteve said:

 

Wow, that's pretty sweet results.  How are the scandium frames when shooting the higher pfs (170-200+)?

The courses that day were mostly 6 shot friendly (think only 1 of 6 had a mandatory 8 shot from 1 spot) and the next match may well be different.

I could tell it was recoiling but wasn't distracting.  In IDPA I'm not pushing the envelope on speed cause I'm looking for points, so there is more time to get the sight picture.  As long as the recoil was predictable it seems my firing rhythm was closer to shooting major in USPSA where I do push for speed.

I once shot a USPSA match with my 627 and 125 gold dots at 1460 f/s 182pf (even though it scored minor) just to test an EDC set up.  The scandium 325 TR recoiled at 170 pf about the same as that 627 with SD 182pf ammo.  With SD ammo, 45 acp 230 HST @ 860 f/s  196pf it does thump more but it doesn't hurt and is controllable.  

May have to load up some 155 pf ammo and try it again.  I am usually a real competitive type 😠 but not to the point of being pushy, it's all internal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between your 325TR and OP's 329PD I'm totally curious to shoot one.  I love my Kimber K6s 3" for carry and want to do an IDPA competition as training, but can't cut for moonclips and speedloaders feel so slow in comparison.  Just need to find more IDPA matches locally.  Cheers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, Benevolence said:

I’m just getting into competition shooting but I have a 329PD for backpacking (my only revolver) and was thinking maybe it could be decent for competition if loaded with 240gr plated FN and trail boss to get just above major power factor (~700ft/s)? I don’t think the internals would be as nice as a 627/625 but perhaps a good into to revo?

 

So did you end up trying the 329?  How did it go?

 

Actually since this thread started I ended up buying one myself for backpacking and really enjoy it.  I've handloaded some rounds with 240gr MBC (coated) come out about 775fps and are quite pleasant to shoot.  It lets you know it's there but pretty darn easy considering the comparison with a 1250fps round.

 

Looking forward to sending it in to get cut for moonclips and then doing an IDPA match.  The 6 shots and 4" barrel are both at the max. for idpa, so works just fine.

 

Very curious to hear your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started carrying a 329PD after a very close moose encounter and I hike a lot in bear country.

While I liked it for it's lite weight, The 329 broke a few times when practicing with it and stung like a hive of hornets with full power loads, even with different grips.

I'd rather shoot my 4" 500 single handed ! 

I just couldn't depend on it, so it was sold for a big loss after getting it back from S&W.

I ended up buying a Taurus 444ULT.

After beating the crap out of it and suffering no failures, I bought another one and don't worry about reloading , as I carry them both in a double shoulder rig now.

While I've never shot them in a comp(Don't have enough loaders or a proper holster), I've shot them both at steel practices with friends, using 44 spcl 200 grn coated loads.

While it has and can be done, I wouldn't want to shoot a match with the 329 and 44 mag loads.

That would make me think twice at getting into the revolver game.

 

SJC

 

IMG_1157.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shoots100 said:

I started carrying a 329PD after a very close moose encounter and I hike a lot in bear country.

While I liked it for it's lite weight, The 329 broke a few times when practicing with it and stung like a hive of hornets with full power loads, even with different grips.

I'd rather shoot my 4" 500 single handed ! 

I just couldn't depend on it, so it was sold for a big loss after getting it back from S&W.

I ended up buying a Taurus 444ULT.

After beating the crap out of it and suffering no failures, I bought another one and don't worry about reloading , as I carry them both in a double shoulder rig now.

While I've never shot them in a comp(Don't have enough loaders or a proper holster), I've shot them both at steel practices with friends, using 44 spcl 200 grn coated loads.

While it has and can be done, I wouldn't want to shoot a match with the 329 and 44 mag loads.

That would make me think twice at getting into the revolver game.

 

SJC

 

IMG_1157.JPG

Like your Rig.  Practice with the off hand too? Border shift?

 

Heck I wouldn't shoot my 4" M29 with full house hunting loads in a match either, well at least not more than 1 stage?.  Now loaded down a bit, a whole bit!, is fun.

I was shooting it with Russian Loads (240 LRN @ 730 f/s) at a USPSA match once.  Started lightning so everyone waited it out under a canopy 50 yards away from a Texas Star.  One of the young Open Division guys wanted to shoot that star with his Dot sighted Comp'd gun.   Shot a full mag and only hit 1 of the 5 plates.  I asked if I could try and proceeded to use 5 shots to take out the other 4 plates, DA only of course.  Quite humbling for the kid, but great fun to me!  The 44's are pretty good rounds.

Edited by pskys2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...