Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
speederlander

Can anyone point me to a source for S&W Cylinders?

I am looking for a 327 compatible cylinder (8 shot 357) and have just had zero luck. S&W won't sell them. Everyone I talk to says not available. Is there any source I could try?

Thanks.

Smith & Wesson Factory will sell replacements.   You need to get creative.

if its a performance center 327, then ask to talk to the performance center,  give the serial # and see if they will get you one.   If its for a retrofit to a 627, then I would suggest that you stick with the SS cylinder.  I've had two 327 cylinders that have flame cut from split cases and are eroded before the cylinder gap.  My 2 cents. 

Hey George,  I'll show you one of the cylinders if you remind me.  I usually carry one in the back of my jeep.

627 titanium cylinders? You've better luck winning the lotto.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

if its a performance center 327, then ask to talk to the performance center,  give the serial # and see if they will get you one.   If its for a retrofit to a 627, then I would suggest that you stick with the SS cylinder.  I've had two 327 cylinders that have flame cut from split cases and are eroded before the cylinder gap.  My 2 cents. 

Hey George,  I'll show you one of the cylinders if you remind me.  I usually carry one in the back of my jeep.

I'm looking to replace a titanium with a SS but it seems ALL 327 cylinders are performance center parts and S&W won't give me the time of day unless I send them the gun (3 to 4 month wait for a probably questionable result). If I have a cylinder I can drive it over to TK Custom and have it fitted in a week or so.

Edited by speederlander

15 hours ago, GMM50 said:

Smith & Wesson Factory will sell replacements.   You need to get creative.

+1 😀😁... it can be done.

Tom

My cylinder change for my 586-7 from 7 shot to 6 shot took a little over 6 months at S&W. It also got a barrel replacement. It took them 3 months to tell me how much it would cost!

They did do a fabulous job, but the wait was brutal.

Last year I called S&W and they sold me three 8 shot SS cylinders with extractors with no problems. I think they were about $100 each. 

I think if they have a run they sell them without a problem but if they don’t have a run made then the answer is we don’t sell them. 

I would just ask when they are going to make another run of cylinders. 

You want to put a SS cylinder into a 327 right?    I don't think they're a shorter cylinder like the PC625 was so A 627 SS cylinder should work ok

But if you are going to drive over to TK and have them do the work, why not just take the 327 minus a cylinder to them and tell them what you want.

I'm sure they can find one somewhere and then fit it.  Might be a bit more expensive, but less trouble.

Out of curiosity, what's the going rate on a 8-shot Ti cylinder? My new to me TRR8 came with one and I'm trying to weight out if I want to use it or stick with the steel one.

14 hours ago, matteekay said:

Out of curiosity, what's the going rate on a 8-shot Ti cylinder? My new to me TRR8 came with one and I'm trying to weight out if I want to use it or stick with the steel one.

200-300 depending on condition

10 hours ago, alecmc said:

200-300 depending on condition

Thanks, appreciate it. I think this one is in good shape but I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I cleaned it with a non-ammonia cleaner when I bought the gun and that's been the extent of my interaction with it.

40586103833_16c39257ea_c.jpg

32609649197_29de8c01ed_c.jpg

46828507324_98e8ef9713_c.jpg

46828507314_2156bca799_c.jpg

I guess I should know this, but are all Ti 8-shot cylinders cut for moons? 

Yup, pretty sure - all 627/327 cylinders are cut for moons. You'll probably only see non moon cylinders when you move to the actual 27 series guns. But, I'm no historian 

17 hours ago, matteekay said:

Thanks, appreciate it. I think this one is in good shape but I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I cleaned it with a non-ammonia cleaner when I bought the gun and that's been the extent of my interaction with it.

40586103833_16c39257ea_c.jpg

32609649197_29de8c01ed_c.jpg

46828507324_98e8ef9713_c.jpg

46828507314_2156bca799_c.jpg

I guess I should know this, but are all Ti 8-shot cylinders cut for moons? 

At least that one looks like it's cut for moon clips.

Oh, yeah, this one is for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk