Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can anyone point me to a source for S&W Cylinders?

speederlander

if its a performance center 327, then ask to talk to the performance center,  give the serial # and see if they will get you one.   If its for a retrofit to a 627, then I would suggest that you stick with the SS cylinder.  I've had two 327 cylinders that have flame cut from split cases and are eroded before the cylinder gap.  My 2 cents. 

Hey George,  I'll show you one of the cylinders if you remind me.  I usually carry one in the back of my jeep.

4 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

if its a performance center 327, then ask to talk to the performance center,  give the serial # and see if they will get you one.   If its for a retrofit to a 627, then I would suggest that you stick with the SS cylinder.  I've had two 327 cylinders that have flame cut from split cases and are eroded before the cylinder gap.  My 2 cents. 

Hey George,  I'll show you one of the cylinders if you remind me.  I usually carry one in the back of my jeep.

I'm looking to replace a titanium with a SS but it seems ALL 327 cylinders are performance center parts and S&W won't give me the time of day unless I send them the gun (3 to 4 month wait for a probably questionable result). If I have a cylinder I can drive it over to TK Custom and have it fitted in a week or so.

Edited by speederlander

My cylinder change for my 586-7 from 7 shot to 6 shot took a little over 6 months at S&W. It also got a barrel replacement. It took them 3 months to tell me how much it would cost!

They did do a fabulous job, but the wait was brutal.

Last year I called S&W and they sold me three 8 shot SS cylinders with extractors with no problems. I think they were about $100 each. 

I think if they have a run they sell them without a problem but if they don’t have a run made then the answer is we don’t sell them. 

I would just ask when they are going to make another run of cylinders. 

You want to put a SS cylinder into a 327 right?    I don't think they're a shorter cylinder like the PC625 was so A 627 SS cylinder should work ok

But if you are going to drive over to TK and have them do the work, why not just take the 327 minus a cylinder to them and tell them what you want.

I'm sure they can find one somewhere and then fit it.  Might be a bit more expensive, but less trouble.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, matteekay said:

Out of curiosity, what's the going rate on a 8-shot Ti cylinder? My new to me TRR8 came with one and I'm trying to weight out if I want to use it or stick with the steel one.

200-300 depending on condition

10 hours ago, alecmc said:

200-300 depending on condition

Thanks, appreciate it. I think this one is in good shape but I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I cleaned it with a non-ammonia cleaner when I bought the gun and that's been the extent of my interaction with it.

40586103833_16c39257ea_c.jpg

32609649197_29de8c01ed_c.jpg

46828507324_98e8ef9713_c.jpg

46828507314_2156bca799_c.jpg

I guess I should know this, but are all Ti 8-shot cylinders cut for moons? 

17 hours ago, matteekay said:

Thanks, appreciate it. I think this one is in good shape but I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I cleaned it with a non-ammonia cleaner when I bought the gun and that's been the extent of my interaction with it.

At least that one looks like it's cut for moon clips.

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2019 at 7:56 PM, matteekay said:

This is probably a long shot as I am over a year and a half late but are you still trying to get rid of that 8 shot titanium cylinder?  I have a 327PC and I'd really like a titanium cylinder for it to lighten up the carry weight.

1 hour ago, TacticalSquatchGunsmithing said:

This is probably a long shot as I am over a year and a half late but are you still trying to get rid of that 8 shot titanium cylinder?  I have a 327PC and I'd really like a titanium cylinder for it to lighten up the carry weight.

Don’t 327s come with titanium cylinders? 

6 hours ago, TacticalSquatchGunsmithing said:

Long gone - sorry about that.