Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc vs Open pistol what's faster?

On 3/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, Balakay said:

If you look at the results of the 2019 Miami Open, Speedy beat Max by 7%.  They shot almost the identical # of A/C/D/M in a similar amount of time.  The Minor vs. Major scoring was the difference.  If a CO shooter beats Open, they are not of equal ability

At the Henry cup Carry optics took 4th overall shooting 97% of 1st place open Chris Tilley

Edited by Bwillis
  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, RAINY0DAYS said:

I'm pretty sure that if you scored PCC as major, the PCC would win.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

So PCC would have the edge in an ALL steel type match?

I shoot with a GM-class at one of my local matches, and he shoots open.  Only way  can even imagine shooting faster than him with a PCC would to at first be a GM with the PCC.  And even then, on those tighter stages I have to believe that the more compact setup has the advantage.

Edited by MoRivera
58 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Do clubs allow you to enter multiple classes in uspsa?

Once I get up to speed with my pcc, I think that it would be interesting to enter both classes on the same uspsa course. If it ever stops raining around here.

Usually not. Occasionally clubs will allow this, especially at all-classifier matches. 

Usually not. Occasionally clubs will allow this, especially at all-classifier matches. 
I've seen it at Saturday/Sunday locals. Shoot a division on Saturday, come back and shoot the match again in another division Sunday.

1 minute ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

I've seen it at Saturday/Sunday locals. Shoot a division on Saturday, come back and shoot the match again in another division Sunday.

That makes sense - we don’t have any matches locally that run multiple days like that, so I didn’t think of it. 

1 hour ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Do clubs allow you to enter multiple classes in uspsa?

Once I get up to speed with my pcc, I think that it would be interesting to enter both classes on the same uspsa course. If it ever stops raining around here.

We are an anomaly: if the weather is nice sometimes a dozen or so guys will “second gun.” Where you run through the whole match again, with the same gun - or a different one.

That’s uncommon.

Some areas of the country foolishly let a guy shoot two guns in one squad; perhaps he’s shooting Limited and PCC for example. That’s uncommon and just plain stupid. It makes the match take forever, and that guy is juggling stage plans and loading mags all day - he really cannot help score or paste AND shoot well.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Some areas of the country foolishly let a guy shoot two gun in one squad; perhaps he’s shooting Limited and PCC for example. That’s uncommon and just plain stupid. It makes the match take forever and that guy is juggling stage plans and loading mags all day - he really cannot help score or paste AND shoot well.

This really only works at all-classifier matches or steel challenge. Little or no resetting needed lets you get away with it a little better than at any regular match. Otherwise it’s just plain stupid, like you said. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

We are an anomaly: if the weather is nice sometimes a dozen or so guys will “second gun.” Where you run through the whole match again, with the same gun - or a different one.

That’s uncommon.

Some areas of the country foolishly let a guy shoot two guns in one squad; perhaps he’s shooting Limited and PCC for example. That’s uncommon and just plain stupid. It makes the match take forever, and that guy is juggling stage plans and loading mags all day - he really cannot help score or paste AND shoot well.

Speak for yourself. I've paid to shoot PCC and CO in the same squad. I also RO'd, of 3 squads my squad still finished the match first. We had less people than the rest of the squads. "and shoot well", finished 1st with PCC, 3rd with CO.

Edited by Smithcity
22 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

Speak for yourself. I've paid to shoot PCC and CO in the same squad. I also RO'd, of 3 squads my squad still finished the match first. We had less people than the rest of the squads. "and shoot well", finished 1st with PCC, 3rd with CO.

Then you clearly are not the average shooter. Most guys don't seem motivated to paste when they are only shooting one division let alone two.

The way i see it going down, on a 10 person squad one guy shooting two divisions. That means he's shooting twice, on deck twice, and loading mags after his run twice. That's 6 of the 10 runs that he's not helping reset. Some shooters wont help reset when they are in the whole, that get's him up to 8 of the 10 runs he's not helping. And that is assuming he doesn't waste time running his mouth like the rest of us. Get two or three guys doing this and you'll have a mess on your hands.

I haven't shot a match that allows this yet, if it starts to become a thing and it does go like I'm predicting I'll stop going. But, hopefully I'm wrong.

Not to mention from the competitive side I don't know that I like the idea of someone I'm shooting against getting a practice run on every stage.

A local USPSA club encourages shooters to sign up for two divisions.  At the shooters meeting the MD always reminds all shooters that its their responsibility to help tape and set steel.  Not many take advantage of this but when they do, the two-gunners always try to do their fair share.

I usually try to shoot with the same group of friends so I cannot say what other shooters in other squads are doing, but as far as I'm concerned, they are having twice as much fun as me.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Then you clearly are not the average shooter. Most guys don't seem motivated to paste when they are only shooting one division let alone two.

The way i see it going down, on a 10 person squad one guy shooting two divisions. That means he's shooting twice, on deck twice, and loading mags after his run twice. That's 6 of the 10 runs that he's not helping reset. Some shooters wont help reset when they are in the whole, that get's him up to 8 of the 10 runs he's not helping. And that is assuming he doesn't waste time running his mouth like the rest of us. Get two or three guys doing this and you'll have a mess on your hands.

I haven't shot a match that allows this yet, if it starts to become a thing and it does go like I'm predicting I'll stop going. But, hopefully I'm wrong.

Not to mention from the competitive side I don't know that I like the idea of someone I'm shooting against getting a practice run on every stage.

Ill agree with you that there are to many people that dont help. If i shoot 2 divisions i have all my mags loaded up b4 the match, i dont reload any mags at the match.

Id happily shoot a 2nd time for no score. As far as L1 matches go, i dont think it really matters.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:44 PM, Smithcity said:

Ill agree with you that there are to many people that don't help. If i shoot 2 divisions i have all my mags loaded up b4 the match, i dont reload any mags at the match.

Id happily shoot a 2nd time for no score. As far as L1 matches go, i dont think it really matters.

The other problem we have in this area is just too many shooters. It's not uncommon for a match to have 15-20 person squads. Some limit the number of shooters and have a wait list, some don't turn people away and just make the squads really big. But just about all the established clubs are running at capacity. So running more than one gun would just mean less guys at the match. I think that may be a problems some what unique to certain area's of the country.

The only matches I shoot that allow two guns on the same squad are SCSA matches.  The largest match allows up to five two gun shooters on a squad, with a max of 15 guns per squad.  Usually there are three or four people shooting two guns.  I do, and still have time to reload, RO and paint.  None of the USPSA matches I shoot allow it.  That's probably because if you haven't signed up online within 60 seconds of registration opening you are on the wait list.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:53 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

...Some areas of the country foolishly let a guy shoot two guns in one squad; perhaps he’s shooting Limited and PCC for example. That’s uncommon and just plain stupid. It makes the match take forever, and that guy is juggling stage plans and loading mags all day - he really cannot help score or paste AND shoot well.

FYI, I shoot PCC and CO.  I load all my magazines the night before, not reloading during the match.  I only do 1 walk through.  I shoot back-to-back, so I am the shooter and on-deck at the same time.  I believe I take less time than two shooters and do more than my share of pasting, timing or scoring.

Anyone that doesn't help with pasting should be called out.  The foolish part is not getting after the slackers, not letting a guy shoot two guns.

We allow you to run two divisions here. I plan to start doing it soon as I'm getting comfy with PCC (my first USPSA division) and want to work on Limited or CO next. PCC is my first love but I want to be competent with a pistol as well in action shooting. Plan to keep scoring and pasting so no one feels like they have to carry my slack.

Edited by ABQautoxer