Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Barrel & Gas System

hlpressley

I am in the process of acquiring parts to assemble a carbine for the carbine matches. My plan was to get a 16” mid length Hanson from Ballistic Advantage but most seeem to recommend an 18” rifle length instead. I’m a bit torn as somewhat of a carbine newbie as to whether I will be able to tell a difference or not? 

I’m currently contemplating the Odin Works  3 gun 18” barrel or just sticking with the original plan of the BA Hanson 16” mid. I can get the BA barrel for almost half what the Odin works will cost. However, I don’t mind spending the cash on things that I will benefit from. What are your thoughts? 

Other components that will make up the gun :

Aero precision upper and lower

Hiperfire Comp trigger

JP SCS recoil system 

Lightweight BCG

F1 Firearms 15” handguard

SJC Titan Comp

Edited by hlpressley

You have all the right components picked out so far.

You will want 16 inch Intermediate Gas system for soft shooting 16, but 18 Rifle gas will be noticeably softer yet.

For Low Mass BCG I would recommend JP LMOS or Fail Zero Low Mass BCG.

I run Rainier Arms Ultramatch MOD2 Barrels. Absolute Tack drivers, but they come with a cost. Great company to deal with.

Oh.... and dont forget Adj Gas Block.

A 16" intermediate will be very close to 18" rifle, so you would probably be best deciding based on the format of the matches you will attend, ie lots of tight hallways and windows or tons of long range etc. 

In the long run it doesn't have to be an either or situation, as you can build a few different uppers to select from depending on the specific match layout. 

17 minutes ago, Blockader said:

In the long run it doesn't have to be an either or situation, as you can build a few different uppers to select from depending on the specific match layout. 

Good point! 

Being that this gun will be used mainly for bay style shooting with hallways, ports, shoot houses, etc., I think I will go with the original plan first. 16” mid from Ballistic Advantage. If and when I find myself needing something different I can build a new upper using the knowledge gained from previous matches. 

• 1 month later...