Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Ultrasonic Cleaning Solutions

Centuriator

I'm new to ultrasonic cleaners and have settled on Lucas Oil's Extreme Bore Solvent and Ultrasonic for my cleaning solutions. Question: How many times can it be reused? If you have any other advice, tips, tricks, suggestions...I'm all ears!

It depends on how well you clean your gun before you put it in the cleaner.  If you don't clean it at all you will have a lot of gunk in the solution that will have to be filtered out.  If you don't clean the solution, enough stuff will accumulate that you could actually stain finishes like Cerakote.

I would not use bore solvent in the cleaner.  After trying some 'dedicated' ultrasonic cleaners, I settled on Slip 2000 725 cleaner.  It is water based and does an outstanding job.  It also doesn't harm anything.  I clean the gun thoroughly before placing it in the ultrasonic cleaner.  I use the cleaner to reach spots you cannot effectively get to manually.

Just a FWIW...

My buddy cleans motorcycle parts.  He fills the tub up with water, puts the parts in a ziploc and fills the ziploc with cleaner, closes it and lets the machine do its thing.  He finds that he is using much less solution.  

YMMV

I have been using Simple Green for years.  I keep it in an old glass peanut butter jar.  Put the parts into the jar, hot water into the ultrasonic, and the jar into the hot water. Cleans great, even the front end of a SS cylinder from a revolver.

I bought an heated L&R 20 years ago when I was shooting HK P7s.

It is a tank, has been great. Wish I had a rifle sized one but they were priced in the stratosphere.

I continue to use their cleaning solution which I get from Brownells.

Not to steal this topic but what do you guys use for a lubricating solution? The price of the L&R is has gone way up?

TIA

jon

On 3/2/2019 at 5:45 AM, RePete said:

I use the Lyman Cleaner and when it gets too dirty I filter it though a coffee, put it back in the machine and add as necessary.

I tried the Hornady cleaner but didn't like it.

The Hornady cleaner has worked well for me.  Regardless of the solution, your eyes will tell you when it's time to filter or replace it.  Dirty/cloudy solution with chunks of debris at the bottom.

RePete's coffer filter solution works well if you have the patience. 

I use Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision cleaner I mix 3 qts water to 1 qt cleaner as recommended on the bottle. It's non corrosive to aluminum. I rinse under hot water and blow dry and then spray with Hornady one-shot Dry lube & Cleaner. Wipe it down and reassemble. Been working great for almost a year.

• 4 weeks later...

Four step process:

1) Field strip the gun and place in the basket:  Slide up, barrel vertical with feed ramp down, spring and guide rod flat, frame upside down so the loose debris fall out easily

2) Hornady 043361 Lock-N-Load Sonic Gun Parts Cleaner Solution, Gallon, degassed, Heated to 120F, 5 minutes.  Drain the cleaner when the cycle finishes.

3)  Bore snake the barrel with Gun Scrubber Firearms Clnr 15 Oz. aerosol, wipe off any cleaning solution on the internals as they dry with cleaning patches, Q-tips, etc  Usually the patches are white after wiping two on the same spot.

4) Immediately return the parts to the cleaner, reverse arrangement from step 1 so any trapped air pockets can escape and let the lube reach everywhere.  Lyman Products Ultrasonic Barrel/Gun Parts Lubricant, 1-Gallon.  This is repeatedly reusable and I just put it right back in the can after each use.  Hand finish with lube on wear points.

Edited by Exlonghorn