Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading room pics

Jfitz427

Hey guys. So my wife and I just moved into a new house on 15 acres and finally I have a decent size room for reloading/home gun  smithing. So I’d to see some pics of your guys setups to get some ideas for mine. I pretty much know what I want to do, but I love to look at pics of nice setups.

At our old house I had very humble setup. A 4ft bench in our living room. Super small, but I made it work but now  I have an entire room in the basement, it’s probably 10x18 or so would be my guess. I think I’m going to do an L shaped bench, run a bench  across the whole back 10ft wall, then 12 or so feet down the other wall. Mount my lee turret, my Lee loadmaster in 40 and my new 1050 in 9 when it arrives, and my singe stage for push though sizing. And then leave another 4-5ft space specially for cleaning and working on guns. Won’t even get into the range im going to build our back, that’s for another thread. But I’m gonna be able to shoot a lot more rounds. I don’t have any pics yet, but I’ll take some tomorrow. In the mean time let’s see some pics of your setups. 

10 hours ago, anbrumm said:

Here's a thread on it in the Gallery section. I've gotten some good ideas from setups in this thread.

Ya I’ve looked though that thread, but the problem is it’s from 2003, so most of the pictures no longer work. It would be good to do an updated thread. 

Just now, Jfitz427 said:

Ya I’ve looked though that thread, but the problem is it’s from 2003, so most of the pictures no longer work. It would be good to do an updated thread. 

True. I just skip to something like page 40. 

16 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

This is an older photo of mine, before it was finished.  I don't think I have a current photo (which is good, because it's a mess right now)

Acoustical tiles behind the press. That's next level. 

Bravo.

Just now, reverse_edge said:

Acoustical tiles behind the press. That's next level. 

Bravo.

I don't know if they actually do anything.  The echo-ness of the room has gone down quite a bit since I added more shelving and since it's currently filled with boxes.

Just now, TennJeep1618 said:

I don't know if they actually do anything.  The echo-ness of the room has gone down quite a bit since I added more shelving and since it's currently filled with boxes.

At this point, I'm impressed regardless of actual function. 

I’ll work on it. My first try with pics. It was a great conversion since the house had another dedicated laundry room we essentially had an over sized closet with cabinets. Now I have a 550 and a 650 set up with room to spare, and it’s not in the garage.

3 hours ago, Jay1957 said:

I’ll work on it. My first try with pics. It was a great conversion since the house had another dedicated laundry room we essentially had an over sized closet with cabinets. Now I have a 550 and a 650 set up with room to spare, and it’s not in the garage.

A79683A7-16AE-46C9-9F9B-72DCD4F5B4B9.jpeg

I moved recently and lost my dedicated room. I have been banished to the garage now but I made it work the best I can. 

This is my only work area now for everything. 

20190301_173205_resized.jpg

20190301_173355_resized.jpg

Edited by bwikel

23 hours ago, TennJeep1618 said:

This is an older photo of mine, before it was finished.  I don't think I have a current photo (which is good, because it's a mess right now)

lUFDVVQ.jpg

Wow, that is a great looking setup. This is what I’m leaning towards. I wish I could afford a thick butchers block type countertop, but the ones I’ve seen are over 800 bucks when buying 12+ feet of it. 

I’m debating between buying  some  cabinets and a countertop for my bench, which will look the best imo and the cabinets will be great for storage. Or build a typical work bench out of 2x4s and plywood. 

I’d like a really rigid bench top. Are 4x4s all gluded together overkill? And how did you mount the top to the cabinets? I’ve build a few kitchens and there isn’t really any good spots to put some big bolts though. Most people use caulk or some type of adhesive to secure the countertop to the base cabinets. Which works fine in a kitchen. But in a shop with these presses mounted and the force that’s put on it, I’d like to bolt it to the base. 

This is what will be my reloading room. It’s a pretty good size room. There’s another similar unfinished room right next to it that’s about double the size that I really wanted but the boss said no, that one has to be our gym..but this room is fine size for a reloading /gun room. It’s like dungeon now, with just that one light. And there’s no electrical outlets yet. So that’s one of the first things I’ll be doing. Running new lights and outlets. I’m going to finish the room somewhat, gonna do beadboard panel on the walls and some type of floating floor. Then a drop ceiling eventually. 

The next picture is the the view of the 15 acres out back of the house. It’s heavily wooded now, but 95% are all small trees, 3-6 inch diameter. But there’s thousands of them. That’s where the range will be goijg. It looks like I’ll be able to have a rifle range go out to roughly 400 yards, and then a pit for shooting pistols. 

The house and yard need a ton of work. If I had it my way the first projects would be the range and my reloading room. But the wife says no, we have to unpack and fix the interior first. And she’s the boss. 

A8086876-9825-4512-AD51-C7A77CDB30DB.jpeg

94D265B4-C0B8-4262-B898-E25C832B93F2.jpeg

23 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Wow, that is a great looking setup. This is what I’m leaning towards. I wish I could afford a thick butchers block type countertop, but the ones I’ve seen are over 800 bucks when buying 12+ feet of it. 

I’m debating between buying  some  cabinets and a countertop for my bench, which will look the best imo and the cabinets will be great for storage. Or build a typical work bench out of 2x4s and plywood. 

I’d like a really rigid bench top. Are 4x4s all gluded together overkill? And how did you mount the top to the cabinets? I’ve build a few kitchens and there isn’t really any good spots to put some big bolts though. Most people use caulk or some type of adhesive to secure the countertop to the base cabinets. Which works fine in a kitchen. But in a shop with these presses mounted and the force that’s put on it, I’d like to bolt it to the base. 

I bought 18 linear feet of that butcher block countertop for a little over $500, if I recall correctly.  A local salvage/import place had it for a much better price than anyone else.  By the time I added up how much time and effort it would take me to make a solid benchtop myself, I just made sense to buy it.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, TennJeep1618 said:

I bought 18 linear feet of that butcher block countertop for a little over $500, if I recall correctly.  A local salvage/import place had it for a much better price than anyone else.  By the time I added up how much time and effort it would take me to make a solid benchtop myself, I just made sense to buy it.

That’s not bad at all. I’ll have to look around for used salvage places. Although I just build a part of my bench yesterday and it’s pretty rigid. This part I’m not planning to mount any of the big presses, maybe my single stage for push though sizing but I doubled up on 22/32nd plywood and it’s very very sturdy. And I’m going to add 2 2x4s between the middle of the cabinets for increased support in the opening their. But this part of the bench I imagine it as mostly working on guns, trimming brass etc. so my vise, and trimmer will be setup here. Then on the right side wall I’ll build another bench and this is where the big  press’s will be mounted. 

A8EB6F6B-F8AB-4CAD-AB08-06451AB59F4F.jpeg

• 10 months later...
That’s not bad at all. I’ll have to look around for used salvage places. Although I just build a part of my bench yesterday and it’s pretty rigid. This part I’m not planning to mount any of the big presses, maybe my single stage for push though sizing but I doubled up on 22/32nd plywood and it’s very very sturdy. And I’m going to add 2 2x4s between the middle of the cabinets for increased support in the opening their. But this part of the bench I imagine it as mostly working on guns, trimming brass etc. so my vise, and trimmer will be setup here. Then on the right side wall I’ll build another bench and this is where the big  press’s will be mounted. 
A8EB6F6B-F8AB-4CAD-AB08-06451AB59F4F.jpeg.ddcf16c180ba78bdc26cbcaf9a57c68b.jpeg

I was just at Home Depot today... they had butcher block... about $200 for 10ft x 25”. They had smaller sizes as well (pic of 50in for $96). 2ff89f92d210164441cd143ebb36930d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...