Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering revolver again

aandabooks

Don't currently have a .357 in the safe.  Been considering getting one and figured I might as well buy something that is suitable for competition in case the urge ever strikes me again.  The last time that I had revolvers for competition it was a 625 (shortly before rule change) and then a 627 PC that I loaded with .38 short colt.  None of that stuff is left and all of the belt items are gone.

Looking at S&W again and the 327 TRR8 catches my eye.  The R8 is also interesting but not sure about the scandium frame.  I also now see that Ruger has entered the 8 shot .357 market but I know nothing about these.  I have Ruger revos in .44 but those are for deer hunting.  Have not tried to do anything with the triggers on those.  

Which of these would be a good pick to get started again?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trr8 and r8 are both scandium. 

The 929 is pretty tough to beat for a competition platform. After that I’d lean towards a 627pc. 

Ruger has a super redhawk on the market right now, but should be releasing a new gun sometime this year I hear. 

Edited by MWP

3 minutes ago, MWP said:

The trr8 and r8 are both scandium. 

The 929 is pretty tough to beat for a competition platform. After that I’d lean towards a 627pc. 

Ruger has a super redhawk on the market right now, but should be releasing a new gun sometime this year I hear. 

The 929 would likely be my first choice if I were just buying for competition.  I'm also looking to fill a hole in my caliber lineup.  I was unaware that both the trr8 and r8 are scandium.  

21 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

The 929 would likely be my first choice if I were just buying for competition.  I'm also looking to fill a hole in my caliber lineup.  I was unaware that both the trr8 and r8 are scandium.  

The trr8 and R8 are practically the same fire arm, the R8 has a different style barrel lug, pretty much it. 

I suggest to people who ask me about what revolver to get to get a 627. The reason I give is that you can shoot 357 magnum, 38 special, 38 long colt and 38 short colt. This will serve from a hunting revolver to a competition revolver and the 38 short colt uses 9mm loading data so it is like shooting a 9mm. 

The 929 can shoot 9mm.

So if you are looking for a revolver that can be both a competition and hunting revolver the 627 is the choice hands down. 

It seems that all the top guys are shooting the 929 now, I think I've seen Mr. TGO with one this last weekend while shooting the WSSS&revo match. And the prices have come down to earth with them.

Good Luck!

57 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Don't currently have a .357 in the safe.  Been considering getting one and figured I might as well buy something that is suitable for competition in case the urge ever strikes me again.  The last time that I had revolvers for competition it was a 625 (shortly before rule change) and then a 627 PC that I loaded with .38 short colt.  None of that stuff is left and all of the belt items are gone....

Which of these would be a good pick to get started again?

Why my wife gives me grief whenever I wanted to sell a competition pistol, and she's never been wrong.  Really!

627 or 929

I have and use both

Just bought back the 929 I shot for a couple of years 

Glad it's back

With that said I've got 627's in the safe also.

627 to fill caliber line up

929 for a game gun

Or do the logical thing get both !!!LOL

I went with 627 because I already had a .357/ .38 Revolver and wasn’t shooting 9 at the time. Also, the 5” 627 felt better in my hands than the 6” 929. If you don’t have another .357 and are only going to use it for competition, you’d probably be better served with the 929. Seems to be what the top guys are shooting. Until they allow 8 in major...

I love my 929 it shoots great. Slap a extended firing pin in and lighten the trigger up a bit and it runs top notch. That being said there are some issues I have had with it. 1) it always wanted to shake the bullet out of the case while firing. I solved this by useing a undersized sizing die and running .357 bullets ( always ran bayou bullets in my 929). 2) I wish the cylinder had a better chamfer. 

All in all you can't be upset if you get one 929 and a 627 and so on lol. Best of luck to you.

Or you can do what I did and for no other reason and that was I could 😁

I took a 627 and had a 38 super cylinder fitted to it and then had the 357 cylinder cut to the same length as the 38 super. I can now switch between 38 super and .357 calibers. 

All this talk of 38 super comp, 9x21, 38 short colt. Cha ching.

I raid the brass bucket at the indoor range, 130lbs just in the last few months of 9mm allows me to sort for the headstamp that works best with once shot brass.  I’m already at 4500 of what I need yet I can’t stop looking for more.  

9 hours ago, RJH said:

What is the advantage of the 929 over the 627 for a game gun?

The biggest advantage is that the 929 already comes with the 6.5 inch barrel and a titanium cylinder

Has Smith stepped up quality control on the 929's ? 

Maybe the 627's are just as bad, but from my 929 experience I would not tell anyone to consider one unless they had access to a revolver smith who could make sure things are right with the gun and guide the new shooter to a load recipe that avoided  Bullets walking and barrel leading. 

Probably a a search for something like "929" problems would be useful for a new buyer. 

29 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I am right in assuming the 929 has more aftermarket parts support?

I wouldn't necessarily say that, Accessories usually go with frame size so 929 and 627s being both N-Frames alot of stuff cross over. 

true.

Like IHAVEGAS, I have problems recommending a 929 to other shooters without the caveat that you won't want to use it straight out of the box.  Will the new 9mm Ruger be competitive right out of the box (lightened spring and all)?

it's a shame as I ALWAYS get peppered with questions whenever I take my 929 to an IPSC  or club match.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Maybe the 627's are just as bad, but from my 929 experience I would not tell anyone to consider one unless they had access to a revolver smith who could make sure things are right with the gun and guide the new shooter to a load recipe that avoided  Bullets walking and barrel leading. 

Probably a a search for something like "929" problems would be useful for a new buyer. 

My buddy just bought a new one and the bolt was too short. Called Smith and they sent him a replacement. Other than that, his is fine. Mine is also fine but it's older.

It all depends what games you want to play with a revolver. For IDPA and PPC (mandatory reload after 6 shots for both games) get a slightly used Ruger Security Six and a bunch of Safariland lll speed loaders? USPSA/IPSC permits 8 shots in Minor power and 6 shots in major power factor. If you want to shoot Minor Power Factor in USPSA/IPSC then get a S&W 929 . I traded my S&W 627 and Super Redhawk. I own all above and Smiths: 610, 617, 586 (expensive PPC). My pistols include all classifications for above games.. I've been playing PPC and IPSC games for 22 years and just turned Super Senior. I'm slower than I used to be so I like a revolver which I find more elegant and less urgent than a pistol. My favorite revolver these days is my Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP/Colt; for IPSC Major and IDPA , nice big bang without a lot of recoil. Moon clips are great with 45acp. I have ordered 45 Winchester Magnum brass from Starline (a touch shorter than 45 Colt, much longer than ACP and it accepts moonclips). I'll work up a load for my recently cast 266 gr. Spire Point 454 bullets. We will see how it goes? Happy shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I am right in assuming the 929 has more aftermarket parts support?

DAA only makes accessories for 929 and when looking for a holster for my 627, there were a lot more choices for 929.

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If you look back a couple months, you’ll find lots of threads with my carrying on getting my 627 sorted out. Like @MikeBurgess pointed out, you have to assume a new Smith is a kit that’s going to need disassembly and re-work.