Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with LOK bogies on TS

jqunac

I ordered the standard Bogies for my TS and the right grip is too tight and fits rearward on the grip frame. I've looked at this closely and determined it is the front undercut that needs trimming so I contacted LOK and explained what it is I'm seeing and was told I would receive another pair so that they would match. I received only the right grip which doesn't match and the fit is very loose even the up and down which was fine. The left grip is fine from the get go.

I like these grips, the replacement grip looks much nicer than the original pair, and would like to make them work but after several emails and several calls it is apparent that there is a communication problem. I've done everything including taking pictures as I was asked, writing emails with detailed explanation and follow up calls.

My question is has anyone else experienced this with LOK? If so, did you eventually get it resolved? I'm willing to try one more time but if this is systemic I'd rather not waste more time. The owner is very nice and easy to deal with but there is no follow through. Any suggestions?

VZ doesn't list a grip for the TS where else should I look?

Nope, haven't experienced this from LOK.  In fact I've experienced just the opposite.  Communication with them has been good and the grips I've received from them have been perfect.

Ditto.  I called to ask about the TS grips and was told to order the standard size and note in the comments they were for a TS.  Lok said they would cut them to fit before shipping.  They did.  I love them.

I´m in contact with them because i want the sp01 Palm swell bogies changed on the top side. They are to chubby up there. Blake told me to try the shadow 2 grips wich they will make a bit higher to fit the Sp01.

Contact is top notch for them beeing very busy.

kneelingatlas - That is very generous though I have the stock plastic mag well. Thanks for the offering.

I received an email explaining that I should have received a pair instead of just one side and how to sand off the bottom to clear the mag well. I called and explained again that there is sufficient clearance for the mag well and the fitment issue is with the front undercut where it contacts the edge of the grip frame which doesn't allow the grip to slide forward like the left side does so well.

I'm to take a couple more pictures and they'll try again. I will hand it to them, they don't give up easily even when dealing with a terse old fart. I'm glad for that because I do like these grippy grips and they look cool. They even make the TS look good which isn't easy.

Edited by jqunac

My LOK Bogies on my TSO fit a bit sloppy. I can tighten them down max torque but within a few magazines they loosen up a bit, allowing the grip to twist a bit around the screw.  I was thinking about trying some silicone to fill the gap and snug them up.

adamge -
I would contact LOK I'm sure they would try to help or try some epoxy wood filler. The type I'm thinking of comes in a small roll you slice it off and work the layers together. You have 15 minutes or so to work with it. Push it into the gaps on the grips and screw them into place. Just wax the frame where it will come into contact. Not sure how it will hold up to oil or solvent but it is more dense than wood and can be drilled or sanded and it doesn't cost much. J-B weld makes lots of products one or more may be better suited.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NJDAJY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I see looking at my grips the holes are way large so the grips are held in place by a pliable o-ring. This is probably to accommodate an inexact fit. I've offered to send my wood grips to them for copying but my impression is that the offer wasn't considered.

DSC_0144.thumb.jpg.4d2c940aa365ea990c450dc4c6253fd9.jpg

Edited by jqunac

• 2 weeks later...

Who else makes grips to fit the Tactical Sport?

I received another pair from LOK and they will work if I find nothing else. The failure to listen to what the customer is saying has me scratching my head.

They will work but I'd rather return them and put this all behind me and not be reminded, it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

I have LOK grips on several CZ pistols and one 1911.  I have never had a single problem with any of them, response to my questions has always been timely, and delivery time has been great.  Sorry to hear about your problems.

I have the standard bogies now there is an actual menu choice for TS under CZ 75. Through our conversations they've never mentioned another choice but I'll ask them about the Shadow 2 grips, I prefer the way the texture extends to the edge.

Well, seeing I'm the only one who has this perception perhaps I shouldn't be venting. I was going to just keep these but now I'll call them and try one more time to convince them to just send a pair with the original dimensions and I'll hand fit them. I do like the grip of the standard bogies on the TS, just handling it makes it feel lighter and with more control.

I look forward to posting about a happy ending.

I'd cut down a standard set of grips. I fit mine on my Shadow and they are tight as can be. As easy as it is to work with G10 I'd rather have the oversized grips and make them work. Here is what the grips look like that I cut down, they should be the same fit as your TS. 

SP01redux.jpg.0ca930332404a9a1fd781a864f3341bd.jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 5:52 AM, bimmer1980 said:

I´m in contact with them because i want the sp01 Palm swell bogies changed on the top side. They are to chubby up there. Blake told me to try the shadow 2 grips wich they will make a bit higher to fit the Sp01.

Contact is top notch for them beeing very busy.

Use a small fine bastard file to get them to the exact profile you want, that's what I ended up doing.

The palm swells I got also didn't quite fit on one side (could feel movement and a clicking sound when squeezed) so contacted them and was advised that with different frame variations this is inevitable...if I was sent another grip it is likely the issue would not change. So added a bit of double sided tape lining the inside edges top & bottom and they are solid now.

Edited by zhuk

5 hours ago, zhuk said:

The palm swells I got also didn't quite fit on one side (could feel movement and a clicking sound when squeezed) so contacted them and was advised that with different frame variations this is inevitable...if I was sent another grip it is likely the issue would not change. So added a bit of double sided tape lining the inside edges top & bottom and they are solid now.

I had a pair that had a similar issue. 

The metal part of the grip on one side wasn't completely flat, allowing the grips to rock ever so slightly.  I used some painters tape under the grip to fill in the unevenness.  Used  a razor to trim the tape after tightening the grips and now the tape isn't noticeable unless you really look.  

38 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I had a pair that had a similar issue. 

The metal part of the grip on one side wasn't completely flat, allowing the grips to rock ever so slightly.  I used some painters tape under the grip to fill in the unevenness.  Used  a razor to trim the tape after tightening the grips and now the tape isn't noticeable unless you really look.  

Exactly, glad that worked for you too.

Just because the grips dont necessarily fit perfectly does not mean that they need to be replaced or are at fault, for the issue stated here. As I said, swapping them for new ones is not going to change anything if its the metal frame variation.

This is the specific video Blake linked me to explaining the issue, its a Tanfog but illustrates what is happening. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCFO0ugOvA

I contacted Jayson about the second set being loose and he said no they weren't trimmed down and there could be .003" difference from tool wear. I measured them and found they were .010" smaller on both panels. I informed him but he hasn't commented on why they are smaller.

The 75's I received range from roughly 2.999" to 3.012". I decided to go with Shadow 2 palm swell bogies from advice that they work better for a high grip but they will be even smaller at 2.985". This must be why some have no problem with fitting.

I've come to the opinion, as another poster, that I would rather fit them myself but that won't be an option if I go with the Shadow 2 grips. I will hand it to LOK they work to find a solution, within certain parameters of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Returned the whole lot of them last week. The grips for the Shadow were very loose fitting and the didn't go high enough for me. Ordered CZ 75 palm swell bogies this time, hope they fit tight so I can hand fit them but won't know til I get them. Been a long ride.

So, how aggressive are the bogies?  I had a set of VZ diamondbacks back in the day and they were too much.  Currently running thin aluminum grips with skate tape on them, so looking for something to replace that.  The skate tape always eventually looses its adhesion...and always at the worst time!