Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Bullets and Comp Leading

I have a quick question, I usually shoot 124gr MG JHP and I recently switched to Blue Bullets , 125gr round nose, to give them a try. After a practice session I noticed I had a lot of lead in the comp. The crimp on the round is very light, I'm using 4.2gr of N320 @1.130 and the PF is about 135-140.

My question is; is the comp leading normal and I just have to get use to it? I do not want a comp full of lead every time I shoot my GMR-15 and I am thinking of going back to my 124gr MG's to solve this problem.

Am I being to OCD???

I think it depends some what on the type comp you are running,

I was using a Canibal with Blue, Bayou and some local coated bullets. Lead build up was normal but not bad.

My shooting friend made me a comp to try and it does not build up enough lead to bother with. Plus it actually works a TINY bit.

9 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

On this topic, are something like Berry's plated good to reduce lead on the comp?

Yes, since plated doesn’t have expose lead and the coating is way stronger compared to the coated bullets. I practice with RMR plated bullets and shoot PD JHP in competition.

This one is easy.....don't use blue bullets and comps.

Don;t care what power you use......at the point that the back of the bullet leaves the barrel, the gases (probably fire) will flame cut that back corner all the way around the bullet.....and you get molten lead (and blue plastic) spitting forward into your comp........gonna do it no matter what powder you use. Go back to FMJ

Edited by TRUBL
14 hours ago, BiggMike said:

I have a quick question, I usually shoot 124gr MG JHP and I recently switched to Blue Bullets , 125gr round nose, to give them a try. After a practice session I noticed I had a lot of lead in the comp. The crimp on the round is very light, I'm using 4.2gr of N320 @1.130 and the PF is about 135-140.

My question is; is the comp leading normal and I just have to get use to it? I do not want a comp full of lead every time I shoot my GMR-15 and I am thinking of going back to my 124gr MG's to solve this problem.

Am I being to OCD???

In my experience with a few different JP barrels I found them to be a tight bore. I was getting a lot of comp leading with coated bullets and after recovering a few out of some snow I could see why. The barrel was really stripping the coating off more than some other barrels I have.  I switched to jacketed bullets.  FWIW I was using N320 and WSF at the time. 

I picked 70 grains of lead out of my comp after the first 250 rounds of coated bullets though my pcc. Decided that was not something I wanted to deal with regularly and switched to everglades plated. Over 1000 rounds later and I have 0 lead in the comp.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I use this comp so I get no leading problems at all. Thanks, EricIMG_1678.thumb.jpg.4e9e2b78ff2cade472ae5f8e17470cde.jpg

After reading all of the warnings above about using coated bullets and from CCI about thin plated bullets with a comp, I bought the same model for my JP.  That should end all of the worry and the effect on recoil and muzzle climb will be negligible also based on what I've read here.   

I have no experience with the PCC but I run bayou bullets 124 grain at 172 power factor  and I get very little leading. I clean my comp with hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar then I put some anti splatter spray for welders in the comp and I give it a spray here and there at a match and the comp stays nice and clean for the most part. I must say i also use a bullet that's .357. 

This is just my milage and yours may very. 

Edited by Jamese35