Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a rifle

LowBoost

I am actually going to suggest you revisit your first inclination to buy a full rifle from JP.  Everyone on here is going to suggest you buy the parts they bought but from my experience a lot of rifles end up being compromises to save a few bucks over what JP would have executed perfectly as a package that all works together.  If you ask the TOP tier shooters what they would buy if they had to spend their own money and didn't get anything from sponsors I bet many or a majority would just buy a JP rifle. I dont't get anything from JP I actually shoot another brand now, but when I had to spend my own money, this is what I shot, which got me to the level where someone else gives me a rifle to shoot.  I will however strongly suggest you skip the side charge and CTR and just go with a JP15 16" light barrel, LMOS, SCS, their trigger etc. etc. standard setup.  I  use a CTR as a heavy long range 223 for particular types of hybrid precision carbine matches but you don't want the weight of that upper and lower slowing you down in traditional 3gun.  You will never regret buying a full JP rifle and it will have some value if you ever want to sell it as opposed to something you cobbled together.

I wanted a new competition rifle this year and heavily considered a complete build from JP. There's no doubt they make one of the best race ready rifles on the market, but it also comes at a heavy price tag. I ended up buying an 18" and a 13.5" Armalite 3gun rifle for the same price as one JP rifle.  I myself couldn't justify spending that much money on one,  when I could buy 2 instead.  Armalite was good enough for Greg Jordan to win the seires a few years ago, so I'm sure it will be good enough for a novice like me.  

That Armalite is a good rifle for sure, I see plenty of successful shooters running those AND they are VERY supportive of the sport, sponsoring shooters, matches, other events.  I see a couple things the JP does and some more expensive parts that justify the price difference but everyone has a different budget, and should get whats appropriate for them.  For me I spend more on ammo in a couple months than a rifle costs so the only bad deal for me would be a rifle I have to change half the parts to work the way I want OR a rifle I have replace because I tried to save money the first time around and ended up having to start over to get what I really needed.