Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator for 9mm minor

geraldskip

Hello!

I’m currently looking at building a 2011 for 3 gun. I’ve been looking at different comps and they all seem to be based on major loads. 

Ive seen a lot of support for the Binary Engineering Compensator, and just saw they have a “cut down” model with one less port. 

Would this be be a good option? Or is there another compensator the hive mind would recommend? 

Again this is specifically for a 3 gun only dedicated minor 2011, please don’t tell me to shoot major or to build it for both. 

Hello: A well designed comp will work with the gas that is available from the powder and bullet combo you are using. Testing will be the only way to see what works or not. I have tested mine for both major and minor and think it works very well. Lots of info on here if you do a search. Thanks, Eric

30 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

is there another compensator the hive mind would recommend? 

I'd talk to aircooled6racer (above) - he has designed a very nice comp, and he

says it works with minor loads :)   He has done a LOT of work with these,

and can recommend for you how to use it - how to reload to maximize the

effectiveness.    

9 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: A well designed comp will work with the gas that is available from the powder and bullet combo you are using. Testing will be the only way to see what works or not. I have tested mine for both major and minor and think it works very well. Lots of info on here if you do a search. Thanks, Eric

I’ve been looking for info on minor comps and it has been hard to find. 

Any specific links that would be good?

Can I have a link to a thread about your comp? I tried searching your name and apparently you post a ton and I couldn’t find it ha. 

The two port comps work great for 9 minor.

While you're searching look for "steel challenge guns"  you'll see lots of comps on guns designed for minor.

Comps help with minor. I played with my tanfo, with the major comp, minor comp bbl and with a Stk 2 bbl in it all with the same loads and same cmore on it.

The major comp worked (but wasn't reliable with extraction)

The minor comp worked really well and was very noticeable compared to the stock 2 bbl w/o a comp.

EGW makes some two port comps.

Though I very seldom, if ever recommend anything from sti, their two port comp (trubor bbl) works well for minor.

FWIW

Neil

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd talk to aircooled6racer (above) - he has designed a very nice comp, and he

says it works with minor loads :)   He has done a LOT of work with these,

and can recommend for you how to use it - how to reload to maximize the

effectiveness.    

+1 - I have one of his comps also.

20 hours ago, gng4life said:

+1 - I have one of his comps also.

I have one of Eric is also. Very happy with it. I haven’t tried shooting minor out of it yet though. I have a few hundred rounds of hotish minor loaded up (7g hs-6 115g). I’ll have to give it a try with a 7lb spring and report back. It’s a good comp so I imagine it’ll shoot well. 

I experimented for awhile with Minor compensators, due to the fact we rarely use major loads or 38c here, but the best results are 2-3 port ones as posted here before. Majority of large 3-4 ports one and up will kill the power factor.

You can also consider hybrid holes.

This is a comp I found that I thought about using on a threaded barrel and slide ride optic for 9minor open in steel challenge. They will bore it to the diameter you request as well. Not many direct thread comps for standard threads out there. Most minor comps seem to be 2 ports from what I have seen.

https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-1911-compensator/

8 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Cheely has 2 port titanium designed specifically for minor powerfactor open and steel challenge pistols. 

Are they still making the 2 port version?  Trying to find one for a Steel Challenge build.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Hooked said:

Are they still making the 2 port version?  Trying to find one for a Steel Challenge build.

Thanks!

See the link. It has the side ports up front so it's listed as 4 port. http://ccgunworks.com/4-port-compensator/ Only 2 comps listed on the site.

Also see Gans comps. He doesn't do titanium, but he does offer a shorty 2 port comp. http://www.gansguns.com/MAINCOMPS.html

• 9 months later...