Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar9 /JHPs

Should I expect my AR9 to be able to reliably run JHPs?

I am using Colt mags and a lower with bottom inserted mag block.  

Runs fine with fmjs.  I can't get it to run my RMR JHPs, but I have to load them short(1.08) to fit in the chamber.    Would a new Ar9 dedicated lower for Colt style mags help?

Suggestions?

Reliable PCC feeding is primarily a function of 3 things. Shape of the chamfer / feed ramps, depth at which bullets are presented, and angle at which bullets are presented. I've found that franken builds typically can't reliably feed certain types of ammo. The only PCC's I've seen that reliably feed a diversity of ammo are the CMMG Guard, the JP GMR 15, and the Sig MPX (I've not played with a scorpion yet) and unsurprisingly CMMG, JP, and Sig control those 3 critical variables and tuned them appropriately. All of the franken builds I've encountered (including my own) struggle to feed some type of ammo, often JHP's.

Long answer to say...I don't know what your AR9 can feed as you probably didn't design those 3 variables in a way to ensure reliable feeding. If you want reliable feeding, go with a combination of parts that have been vetted and designed correctly.

The only hollow points I've used are 115 grain.  Either PD or Zero.  Same ammo I shoot in my CZ pistols.  Can't give you the OAL off the top of my head but both my 9MM ARs run them with no issues.  

One is a dedicated 9MM lower for Colt style mags. from Spikes Tactical.  The other is an AR15 lower with a mag. well insert for Colt style magazines.

The both work will with Federal 115 grain FMJ.  

I have not tried 124 or 147 grain hollow points or 147 grain LTCs in either of them.  Haven't gotten serious about 147's because I've not yet found a load my CZ pistols will shoot good groups with.

I had issues with Montana Gold  124g JHP bullets until I installed the Taccom feed ramp. Holy crap, best $29.00 I ever spent.

Feeds anything now, and runs the Taccom 57 round extension with zero issues.

Now if I could just get firing pin tips to stop breaking off when dry firing...

ATI (NFA clone) lower, NGA side charging upper.

I should mention my Colt mag l gun feeds better than the ATI did (before the feed ramp upgrade).

7 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

I had issues with Montana Gold  124g JHP bullets until I installed the Taccom feed ramp. Holy crap, best $29.00 I ever spent.

I should mention my Colt mag l gun feeds better than the ATI did (before the feed ramp upgrade).

Off to check it out!

Thank You!

57 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The RMR's are shaped differently than PD's and MG's - I'd try one of them and

see if they feed in your gun.

BTW, why do you want to use JHP's ?

I want a 9mm carbine that will be good for defensive purposes also.

53 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

I guess that feed ramp is only for glock mags???

13 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Yes. Colt mag lowers don't have the gap from front of magazine to chamber (I'm told)

They do have a gap between the mag and chamber but they also all have a built in feed ramp to fill that gap. 

Every colt mag fed PCC I have used would feed JHP's. In fact I run 125gr Zero JHP bullets in major matches. 

Edited by bwikel
16 minutes ago, bwikel said:

They do have a gap between the mag and chamber but they also all have a built in feed ramp to fill that gap. 

Every colt mag fed PCC I have used would feed JHP's. In fact I run 125gr Zero JHP bullets in major matches. 

So the Colt lowers and adapters being designed for this have addressed the problem. 

And they work, at least in my experience.

3 hours ago, bwikel said:

What is your oal?

I think I need to try a different jhp that I can load longer and still work in my barrels chamber.  

The price of the rmr jhp is good, the accuracy is good, but the profile doesn't work well for loading long.

1 hour ago, tk4 said:

I think I need to try a different jhp that I can load longer and still work in my barrels chamber.  

The price of the rmr jhp is good, the accuracy is good, but the profile doesn't work well for loading long.

Then don't load long. If it will feed an normal OALs, why bother?

30 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Then don't load long. If it will feed an normal OALs, why bother?

It won't reliably run my rmr JHPs that I had to shorten to 1.08 to fit in the chamber.  Now I am wondering if it would feed JHPs at 1.14ish.  That is what my fmjs are at.

I believe the misfeeds may be hitting to high.

2 hours ago, tk4 said:

The chamber on your barrel may need throated if jacketed bullets have to be run short to fit. It is a pretty common problem with PCC barrels. 

Timothy Ubl of Taccom explains the feed ramp & mag extensions extremely well around the 10 minute mark in this Shooters Mindset podcast / video.

http://
20 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

You won't regret it.

I checked, it's for Glock lowers. I have a Colt. 

The Colt ramp helps but it's far from perfect. The AR in 223/556 is near perfect!

Every PCC shooter get the nose up jamb every now and then.

Edited by Silver_Surfer