Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Gen 5 for Production?

Windlogik

I'm considering getting back into practical pistol. I'd like to shoot production and keep it simple with a bit of room for pistol upgrades (sight, trigger, so on). What are thoughts on the G17? Also, what is a good quality holster or rig for G17 production? Thanks!

I just got one of these after spending the past several years shooting 1911 and 2011.

Going back to basics if you will....

I think they are a great choice. Dawson sights, a little polishing on the internals, and a 4.5lb striker spring are all the upgrades that I have planned for mine.

For holsters a good choice is blade tech or comp tac - mount it to a Boss hanger from the Ben Stoeger proshop. I have been using a Double Alpha belt with Double Alpha mag pouches, but the cheaper GHOST brand mag pouches work fine as well.

Hello: I fondled one after our match and think they are a good choice. Front cocking serrations and the trigger was actually pretty good. I would get the MOS version so you can shoot Carry Optics also. I am using a Safariland Holster with their USPSA hanger. It is great since you can change the angle and drop to just the right spot. I am also using some old Safariland 771's that I had for STI mags and they work great. For a belt get the Shooters Connection one since it is a fair price and not super stiff. Thanks, Eric

Good choice.

After 25 years of USPSA I've gone to Glock 19s.  Tired of chasing smiths and sorting issues. 

Glocks are like Legos, just show up and shoot.

Bullets go where you point the gun and the amount of options for each part is amazing.  And did I mention no smiths 🙂

10 hours ago, floater said:

Liking the gen 5 17 mos fs, as for holsters, Red Hill tactical for the win! I really like how rigid the double layer red hill holsters are.

I have one of their holsters for my 2011 and it is great but I just don't see the need for it with a lightweight polymer gun.

As long as you use a good mount (Boss Hanger) I think any single layer holster is fine.

The MOS version will not only give you later options for CO if your interested, but also does not have the cut out in the front of the grip which makes the “mag well” work even better. Just a thought.

only downside other than price is the rear-sight dovetail is a bit further back so longer sights can create some overhang, if that bothers you.

21 hours ago, JLB-US said:

The MOS version will not only give you later options for CO if your interested, but also does not have the cut out in the front of the grip which makes the “mag well” work even better. Just a thought.

only downside other than price is the rear-sight dovetail is a bit further back so longer sights can create some overhang, if that bothers you.

Dawson makes a set of sights specifically for the MOS that don't overhang. I just put them on mine and they are the typical Dawson quality and fit.

I really like the mag opening of the Gen 5 versus the Gen 4 and Gen 3 that I have. It is a small, but noticeable improvement.