Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 vs 35 for 3 gun

Remington92

Hey guys I’m sorry If this has been beat to death but I’m looking at picking up a new pistol for predominantly 3 gun. I was pretty settled on a 34 but after talking to my local store the fella told me to go with a 35 because of the 40 to 9 flexibility and more options for other shooting disciplines. With the 35 all I need is magazines and barrel to shoot 9mm right? If looking to buy which way would y’all go?

thanks 

Get a G35 MOS and convert it to 9mm, it will give you lots of flexibility. You could use it in 9mm for 3 gun in an irons or optics division or add a dot and shoot open. It would also fit into production, carry optics and limited (minor or major) in USPSA. You are correct all you need to convert a 35 to 9mm is a barrel and mags. 

Local gun store was trying to talk you into buying the .40 since no one is buying .40s these days and they need to move their inventory ;)

Do you think you'll ever use it in USPSA Limited shooting .40? If not, then no reason to get the 35 just to have added cost of conversation barrel and mags.

16 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Local gun store was trying to talk you into buying the .40 since no one is buying .40s these days and they need to move their inventory ;)

Do you think you'll ever use it in USPSA Limited shooting .40? If not, then no reason to get the 35 just to have added cost of conversation barrel and mags.

this and to get the 40 100% you will most likely have to change the ejector and extractor .    been down that rabbit hole a few times. some work some not so much.

24 minutes ago, Remington92 said:

3 gun is the main thing I was focused on and possibly gssf shoots. Didn’t want to buy a 9mm and find out later I need a 40 but on the flip side if I’ll never shoot 40 what’s the point 

You'd only ever "need" a .40 if shooting USPSA Limited. For GSSF you couldn't use a conversation barrel so would have to shoot .40 if you get the 35. Then you need to get set up to load another caliber, which I don't think is worth it just for a few GSSF matches per year.

Also if you ever want a .40 down the road you can pick up a used 35 pretty cheap. Used .40s seem to be very cheap these days since no one is buying .40s anymore.

For 3 gun there may be an argument for the .40 depending on the types of targets you encounter. It is a lot easier and faster to flip an MGM spinner with .40, same for dueling trees and hostage silhouettes with flip-able white target over the shoulders. 

I have used my .40 for USPSA limited major and later for open. Also used it and my G22 both with 9mm conversion barrels with only need to change barrels and magazines.

Shooting 9 mm through a G35 with conversion barrel also has a little less muzzle flip because the conversion barrel is heavier than the standard G34 9 mm barrel. This conversion barrel has to fit the outside diameter of a .40 slide while still having the ID of 9mm, so it is thicker.

I guess since the 34 debate is settled what do y’all recommend as far as gen 4 vs 5? Right now all my other glocks are 4 (26,19,21). Looks like for gen 5 they’ve added front serrations and took away the slide window ( better reliability?) besides normal g5 things. I’m leaning towards gen 4 because of familiarity and being able to get a non mos that I can have specifically cut later if I decide to. 

I’ve yet to see a marked difference between 9/40 on spinners. Shot timing seems to be much more an issue than caliber. 

Unless your going to shoot uspsa limited often and with a big degree of seriousness... don’t buy the 40... 1. It pigeon holes you if you ever decide to upgrade to a better gun and you’ll not get your money from it. 2 KISS keep It Simple Soldier,, ie getthe 9.. if you decide down the road to change to do uspsa seriously. Buy another dedicated gun for it... 

personally I got a hard fast rule about not messing with something that works. Meaning I don’t monkey with springs or conversion kits on any gun, once it’s working well, I clean it and leave it. When I monkey with something I end up with bananas..

to me, pistol is the most common thing I shoot, so I spent the most money getting the best I could afford and picked up an sti used from someone I trust to keep track of round count etc.. the second was PCC so I spent a bit under the best possible and got a Nordic for myself and a MBX sig for my wife since that’s her primary. Rifle I made from parts with a arak-21 faxon upper etc shotgun I’ll likely get a stoeger because I’ll shoot it rarely. I often suggest this same priority system to friends getting into shooting because it makes the most sense to get the best possible that works for you on the things you use.

18 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You'd only ever "need" a .40 if shooting USPSA Limited. For GSSF you couldn't use a conversation barrel so would have to shoot .40 if you get the 35. Then you need to get set up to load another caliber, which I don't think is worth it just for a few GSSF matches per year.

You can shoot Unlimited in GSSF. Its their open class.

18 hours ago, bwikel said:

Get a G35 MOS and convert it to 9mm, it will give you lots of flexibility. You could use it in 9mm for 3 gun in an irons or optics division or add a dot and shoot open. It would also fit into production, carry optics and limited (minor or major) in USPSA. You are correct all you need to convert a 35 to 9mm is a barrel and mags. 

Cant shoot USPSA Production with a G35 converted to 9mm. Apendix D4 21.3

I also have a G35 switched to 9mm, I've had it for a year and a half now. Never shot .40 throw it before. lol I bought it used.

10 minutes ago, asadurum said:

You can shoot Unlimited in GSSF. Its their open class.

I just knew someone was going to say that as I was typing my reply :). Sure you can, but it wouldn't be a very good idea since it doesn't sound like he's looking to build an open style Glock with dot and comp...

My wife and I both 3 gun and have Gen 2-5 34's and 35's.  For 3 gun I would get the Gen 5 gun because there are long range pistol shots in 3 gun and the Gen 5 guns are more accurate.  I have been into Glocks since 1999 and the Gen 5's are more accurate.  Some people poo poo that, but I don't care, it's true.  Ask Glock!  It was a requirement for the Army pistol trials or something.  We both switched from Gen 3 34's to Gen 5 34's  and we both agree we like them better.

Upsides of the Gen 5 are better trigger.  I went TTI Gen 5 kit with polish job.  There is a longer sight radius also, MOS if you want it, and better accuracy as mentioned.

Downside are increased cost, no adjustable sight made that I know of.  We have had great luck with the Dawson Precision sights made for the Gen 5, and the mag release is a little short.  There is a factory Glock extended slide release for the Gen 4 guns that also works in the Gen 5 and we installed those.  The mass of the slide is a little heavier and the recoil spring assembly is a little longer so I would recommend something like a Jager guide rod and a 13# ISMI recoil spring, the gun would not going into battery well with an 11 pound spring..

If you go with a Gen 4 gun I personally would do the same parts appropriate for the Gen 4 plus change to a Gen 3 trigger bar assembly.  Its part number 357 and has no bump on the trigger bar to drag on the slide.  Glock was apparently worried there was flex in the trigger bar and it would move laterally and fail to disengage the mechanical striker block.  I think its a non issue and changed one out in my wifes Gen 4 35 (for games where major is required).  Incidentally, the geometry of the mechanical striker block (firing pin safety) was altered in the Gen 5 guns negating the need for the "bump" on the trigger bars.

Bottom line is any Glock Gen will work.  I would go with a 34.  While any Gen will work, I think Gen 5 is most aptly suited to 3 gun because of the long shots and small steel.  Make sure you know where your gun hits out to 50 yards for sure.  If you want a 40 get a second gun, first world problems...

Edited by 12glocks
grammar

11 minutes ago, 12glocks said:

If you want a 40 get a second gun, first world problems...

definitely this.  <$600 and you need different mags anyway, and chance of bringing wrong barrel, ammo etc to a match, or worse, mixing them up, ain't worth it.

personally, gen 4, ghost or other connector, polish it all, lighter spring kit, and you will be good to go.  warren/sevigny fiber optic front and wide notch rear.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 35 as I am primarily focusing on USPSA Limited this year but will still be shooting some 3gun and Steel Challenge.  I opted for different color basepads from TTI in addition the KKM conversion barrel I have on the way is a different color to help keep things sorted out.

We'll see if the wrong ammo in the range bag ever bites me in the ass.

If your main focus is 3gun I'd definitely just get the 34.