Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can we find a way to save USPSA Revo?

Carmoney

53 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I agree with all of this.  Especially the last portion.  Shooters I know will not bring a round gun out unless it's a "revolver match". I do think grouping Single Stack and Revo into a common match works.  Just force autos to shoot one day and revolvers the next.

To increase participation, the revo match needs to be on the local level, see my post a little bit back.  Just hosting big matches will not really drive up the overall shooters in revolver.  Correct me if i am wrong,  but weren't  the  stand alone revo nats the biggest the first year or two and then dwindled?  Maybe i remembering it wrong, but that is what i am thinking

Edited by RJH

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To increase participation, the revo match needs to be on the local level, see my post a little bit back.  Just hosting big matches will not really drive up the overall shooters in revolver.  Correct me if i am wrong,  but weren't  the  stand alone revo nats the biggest the first year or two and then dwindled?  Maybe i remembering it wrong, but that is what i am thinking

Once I experienced the revolver version of the SSC, I wasn't going back.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Once I experienced the revolver version of the SSC, I wasn't going back.

That is why local level is the way to go.  If a section has 2-4 clubs you could have a revo championship series at the section level.  With a subset for the speedloader revos that most people have laying around, there is, IMO, the greatest chance for getting new revolver shooters.  And it could happen with basically 0 extra work for match staff.  The added bonus is that after 4 matches all these guys would be classified and that might spur them on too.

3 hours ago, RJH said:

I agree with your point as well.  I started an ICORE club at my range and we decided to couple it with USPSA.  Setup is Saturday morning, ICORE starts around noon.  Sunday morning we adjust the stages and run a USPSA match.  I think it will work very well.  

I think the idea of having a class or subset for speedloader 6 shooters is a dead end, ICORE has Classic and it is the lowest participation division in a tiny sport. 

I firmly believe that MOST shooters will not shoot a revo at a USPSA match because it is hard slow by comparison to an auto.

So the question from a marketing perspective is how do you convince people to make it hard on themselves? last year I competed in Revo and Open I figured either hard or easy no half measures. 

Stand alone matches are probably the only chance.  The deeper the prize table the better, only way to even hope to get a buzz.

For those wanting an Open Revolver, if it is a Revolver Only Match, any non-conforming revolver is scored as Open and being it is a Revolver it is then an Open Revolver and technically could be scored major or minor, dot or open, comped and non-comped as all are allowed in Open.

Anyone interested can do as Rio Salado did and run a large Revolver Only Match and let it be known what the above entails.  Recognize Revolver and Open (revolver) with plaques, trophies and prizes and then see how it plays out.  I don't think that would violate any USPSA rules even on a Level II Match, but might double check with Troy DNROI.

I'd be interested in going to something in the midwest about anytime and further either late this year or next due to prior commitments.

Can a 929 handle 160 crn at 1060 f/s PF=170, a dot and a comp would trick it out to the max.

So for me being a per say outsider on this class and topic. So what would the odds be to get a introductory class into shooting revolver div. and range day? The only reason I bring this up is because I took a introductory class into  competitive shooting USPSA through SSV. This was a very good class and helped bring new people into the sport. The hard part would be to get a few clubs to participate and to help make it grow.

At the range I manage we are a USPSA, SCSA, and ICORE club, we have all three types of matches a month and have slowly got a few new Revo shooters. We have been fortunate enough to have held several large Revo matches and several large USPSA/IPSC matches. At one of our larger matches I had loaned out 4 of my wheelguns to new Revo shooters to get them interested and shoot the match. Three of them are taking up wheelguns, maybe not as their main interest,,, but enough to shoot our local matches with them. Now I don't have any answers to the problem of getting a lot of growth in the revolver community, but the biggest thing that I see is that there is too much stuff out there competing for the same people who have limited resources and it's just to easy to say I will go to place A and shoot this gun and I will stay home next weekend and not go to your match because of time or money. 

And by the way I have been shooting my revolver only in all three of these types of matches for at least 5 years, my auto feel  severly neglected.

Edited by mchapman

Guys, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on the subject--some excellent food for thought here.

BUT, having considered the issue at some length, my conclusion is that changing the equipment rules would NOT be advisable.  8 major presents a serious problem for those shooting the 929, which now seems to be the dominant platform for USPSA Revo.  And based on the meager participation at the WSRC (and in ICORE, for that matter), there doesn't seem to be a huge number of shooters who are excited about running optics on their wheelguns.  

Love the current rules or hate them, we at least have equipment stability in the division today.

MWP's point is well taken that our efforts would be better placed in promoting creative ways to encourage USPSA revolver participation under the structure we are geared for.  

I posted this thread because I believe the BOD may be actively looking at ways to improve the dismal level of interest we are currently experiencing in Revo.  If I am asked, I plan to recommend that they NOT monkey with the rules, but to consider meaningful and tangible ways to better support and promote the division as it stands.

I have been shooting revos in USPSA and ICORE for not quite 20 years, but close.

I dont think the division is broken.  Its just plain hard, and your average dude doesent like hard.  You pretty much turn every stage into a Virginia count stage.  Keeping that front sight steady while trying to pull the trigger fast is nowhere as easy as a decent autoloader.

The 8 round deal helped, but nowhere near as much as I had thought it would.  I dont think allowing optics will gain us much.

I say leave it alone.

I am just spit balling here, but what about removing the minimum # of revolver shooters at matches for plaque/trophies?  I have heard a number of shooters say they don’t sign up for revolver because there aren’t going to be enough shooters present, maybe if that wasn’t an issue they would sign up....  or maybe different people would sign on to have a shot at the smaller pool.  

That's one of the best ideas I've seen so far. There have been several good thoughts in this thread. If there is no minimum, and for sure recognition, more people are likely to sign up. Nobody wants to go first and risk the chance of shooting for nothing, so they get in a class they're sure will have good participation. I think it would open the gate. Some will sign up because there are few and the odds of winning SOMETHING, even a plaque, are very high with only 2 or 3 shooters. After a few times of that, probably more people will jump on the bandwagon to get in on the action. Everyone wants to have something to show for their efforts.

I think the key is guaranteed recognition with trophy or plaque and prize table draw or cash. It doesn't have to be a large amount. Any plaques or trophies could be generic as to date and match. If you had 3 each 1st, 2nd, 3rd place Revolver ones, you could hand out what's appropriate at the first match, what's left over at the next match, what's left over at the next match, etc.

What I've seen that works well for awards is the winners get a trophy and maybe some cash, too, and everyone gets a shot at the prize table by random drawing. The drawings we have are plastic poker chips in a coffee can that are magic marker numbered 1-100. If there are 45 shooters that match, numbers 1-45 only go in the can. The shooters are on a signup sheet, each with one of those numbers. That way the people who shot the best are recognized and rewarded, but everyone there has a shot at something, even those at the bottom of the skill level, who will otherwise never get anything and quit coming out.

Human nature hasn't changed in recorded history, probably much longer. Everyone is asking "What's in it for me?" Why should I choose this gun over that one? This match over that match? There needs to be some clear reward for doing so, or at least a reasonable chance of a reward. In a situation where there is no lower limit of entries and still have an award, and everyone gets an equal (random) pick off the prize table, there is motivation to do it.

Edited by Toolguy

41 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

If only the number of people that have posted in this thread would show up at a revolver match.  Imagine how well revo division would be doing.

How do you know we don't?

8 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

The IPSC Canadian Nationals doesn't recognize a revolver division due to lack of participation.

Dude that's f*#ked. Like you can't shoot it at all, or you just don't get a trophy for winning? Kinda glad I missed the sign up for that one then haha.

Sorry that's not exactly what I meant.  They recognize it, but there are no provincial teams sent/no trophys.

This is the reason:

Minimum of 10 is required to recognize a division in a level 3 match

They don't get even 10 revo shooters at the Nat's.  I'll be shooting mine next year when the Nationals are at my home club!

There is a list somewhere listing # of shooters in each division for the last 6 Nat's.  Need to find it but for revo it's d-e-a-d/dying

Ha! In that chart ... the biggest crowd is the people that shoot 10 rounds!!

AND ... that is funny ... w/ I shoot a "magazine" gun I like to shoot production or L10 ... The high cap stage planning is completely different.

Have you even noticed ... every time you leave a shooting position you reload whether you need to or not?? 

In Canada it's 10 rounds only for everyone!!  I think we are the reason NY state is 10 too.  Albany didn't have to look far for dumb ideas.

Production is huge.  Cheap to shoot.  I get it, my 6 limited mbx mags cost more than a Shadow 2 and way more than a CZ75

Edited by MikeyScuba