Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can we find a way to save USPSA Revo?

Carmoney

57 minutes ago, pete627 said:

Ha! In that chart ... the biggest crowd is the people that shoot 10 rounds!!

That chart is for CANADA. Everthing nationwide is limited to 10 rounds, including Open and PCC.

It does point out something interesting, however: In the U.S. lack of wheelgun participation often gets blamed on “well, why would anyone shoot 8rd guns when they can shoot 20+ in Limited, Open, and CO and get to go fast!?”

Even when semiautos only have a 2 round advantage, Canada still proves that no one is interested in Revolvers anymore. Which is a shame.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That chart is for CANADA. Everthing nationwide is limited to 10 rounds, including Open and PCC.

Wow ... that's disappointing. Even when the whole country has limited round count there is no benefit to revolver. :sick:

This year the Nat's are in Quebec, there are a lot of revo shooters only a few hours away.  However the match was sold out in a few hours.  Given it's on a military base near a big city they totally underestimated demand. 

PCC's being rifles are limited to 5 rounds only by law.  However if a pistol mag works in the rifle then you can use 10 rounds and that is what IPSC rules allow.  So this limits competition to guns that can take glock mags.  Shame as the MPX is such a sweet PCC, but 5rounds only makes it a range toy. Don't need another toy.

Edited by MikeyScuba

1 hour ago, pete627 said:

Wow ... that's disappointing. Even when the whole country has limited round count there is no benefit to revolver. :sick:

Revolvers definitely have some real disadvantages:

Cost, face it a good Revolver & moon clips will set you back more than a Glock/tupperware Production and mags.

Speed, the popular theory is you are slower with a Revolver.  Partially true as reloads are close to double the time, but the actual shooting doesn't have to be even though that's the perception.

Skills, again the popular theory is a Revolver is harder to shoot than a semi-auto.  I've not found it to be and most I know who really tried it don't seem to struggle.

The negative perceptions and real cost tend to discourage the casual shooter.  So actual round count issues are probably low on the list of reasons not to shoot revolvers.

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Hmmmm.... wonder if I should do something for Area 5 this year? Maybe reduced fees for revolvers...

This year I'm not going anywhere I have to stay over night.

Now next year, I'd be open to any extra options as a  lure for revolvers.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hmmmm.... wonder if I should do something for Area 5 this year? Maybe reduced fees for revolvers...

That would be greatly appreciated. I might sign up, and maybe would be able to convince two of my friends to come with me.

I also shot the Western States matches and had a blast shooting my Revo. I'm currently only signed up for the IL and WI Sectionals this year, but if anybody on here plans on shooting those matches in revolver division, I'll gladly shoot it as well.

I use a c-more on my 929... My eyesight requires a "dot". I actively shoot USPSA  (all guns used have "dots") BUT not in revolver as I NEED the "dot". I'm NOT even close to being competitive with a revolver in "open" class with a revolver! Ha, shooting ICORE this Sunday in "OPEN" class..... At least ICORE is home for revolvers... I really think I would shoot revolver in USPSA IF all revolvers were in one class. WE would probably have to have a "school" for the non-revo shooter's emphasizing "DON'T STEP ON THE MOON CLIPS". Poor eyesight is a handicap for many of us, the "dot" lets me compete where I normally couldn't......Pretty soon there would be a lot more "dot" revo's....Maybe the class would survive????...

57 minutes ago, revoman said:

Why not open revolvers if we gain a few great if not what have we lost. 

You’re making an exclusive, expensive division more exclusive. And expensive. 

1 hour ago, revoman said:

what have we lost. 

anyone that already shoots revolver but can't afford or is too stubborn to shoot an optic.

You're more than welcome to shoot in Open class though. My friend made C class with  a Taurus 608

I Believe the Revolver shooters should be making the rules for the matches.   ICORE, USPSA, Steel Challenge and what ever else.

If that fails we only have us to blame and nobody else cares anyway.

IMHO ... optic equipped revolvers really belong in Carry Optics or a subset of Carry Optics. The revolvers were already on the Production list. 

At least you would be scored minor. Heck ... give us CO-R ... and remove any (Production) holster/belt equipment restrictions.

Otherwise ... just shoot Open  like SFish says and be sure to put a "-Rev" suffix on your first name when you register for the match.

Billy-Rev Baltimore

Tommy-Rev Tulsa

Phil-Rev Phoenix

Or .. they could make a class ... like Teen; Military; Senior; Law Enforcement etc ... just have the match director add Revolver as a class (to allow an opportunity to identify/select revolver results easily). 

Or not ... 🙁

This may have already been said, but the risk I see of making it Open is you're just adding cost. A Revolver is going to set you back a grand, and it's going to need some trigger work from there. Then you'll need moon clips, which are pricey, and you probably should be reloading. Now you're going to add a 3-500 dollar optic to it. For some people who are die hard wheel gunners it wont matter. But if the goal is to attract new shooters I don't know if that will help. I can get a good Limited set up for less than what a revolver is going to cost me and I'll finish higher in the overall.

Personally I don't see myself ever going back to revolver. It was fun, but what it would take to get me back is good turn out in the division. As it is I can go to a major and there will be more masters in Limited then there are shooters in revolver division. We might have 3 good revolver shooters in the whole area. At a club match you'll probably be the only guy.

1 hour ago, MWP said:

You’re making an exclusive, expensive division more exclusive. And expensive. 

I am just saying add open and separate between open and stock like ICORE.  If it adds numbers great if not oh well we will still be sucking hind tit. 

50 minutes ago, swordfish said:

anyone that already shoots revolver but can't afford or is too stubborn to shoot an optic.

You're more than welcome to shoot in Open class though. My friend made C class with  a Taurus 608

I do currently shoot my open revolver in open in USPSA and I have attained B class. The reason I do is that no one shoots ICORE around here except 160 miles away and I do attend them when I can. You do what you have to do to have fun and to spin the cylinder. 

32 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

This may have already been said, but the risk I see of making it Open is you're just adding cost. A Revolver is going to set you back a grand, and it's going to need some trigger work from there. Then you'll need moon clips, which are pricey, and you probably should be reloading. Now you're going to add a 3-500 dollar optic to it. For some people who are die hard wheel gunners it wont matter. But if the goal is to attract new shooters I don't know if that will help. I can get a good Limited set up for less than what a revolver is going to cost me and I'll finish higher in the overall.

Personally I don't see myself ever going back to revolver. It was fun, but what it would take to get me back is good turn out in the division. As it is I can go to a major and there will be more masters in Limited then there are shooters in revolver division. We might have 3 good revolver shooters in the whole area. At a club match you'll probably be the only guy.

627 pro $750 optic mount $100 used Cmore $150 your own tuning on the trigger $50. There you have an open revolver for $1050. Moon clips are a one time cost only and so is the brass as you always get it back. Moon clips range from $3 to $8 apiece. You will be shooting minor so the need for a comp is irrelevant and the 4” barrel is all you would need. 

What limited set up is going to cost less than this?

Overall is a fantasy that everyone dreams of and if that is important get a PCC. Whatever I shoot with that is the only people I care about competing against. 

Not sure I’m buying the whole $ argument.  The guns and gear are not the most expensive part of this sport.

match fees 

ammo

range fees

training

and time....

like I’ve said, I always get peppered with questions from fellow shooters when I shoot IPSC revolver.  But the lack of a race ready revo always leads to this is a great gun..but it needs work.  We had to send ours across the country to get work done.  I could not even get miculek springs from Brownells.

my wife won’t shoot open revo in IPSC.  Up here most open guys are  long time standard shooters who’s eyes got old with 20+ years of shooting experience. What’s the point of coming in last, but then I win by default, at least ICORE is around here and it’s a nice bunch of shooters.

21 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Not sure I’m buying the whole $ argument.  The guns and gear are not the most expensive part of this sport.

match fees 

ammo

range fees

training

and time....

airfare, rental cars, hotels. Since 0.02% of people shoot revolver and I want to shoot against other revolvers, I go and find them. But we're so scattered. I'm not flying too much this year, only 3 times, and 1 isn't even a match with other revolvers. Maybe like 2.

Like I said, I've turned a few locals to the dark side, but to find anyone of any sort of challenge is tough. Alex is like 3 hours away and he's it.

I'm half-assed trying to get a local ICORE club set up, but that's not USPSA. USPSA is a different animal and lots of money is being spent on the go-fast divisions. I always get compliments when I shoot but I dunno if they mean it or if they just feel bad for me haha.

well once you are into it it isnt a money thing but starting out ?
Typical starting out production shooter starts out because he/she ALREADY owns a service sized polymer gun,  kydex holster , handful of mags and a mag pouch or too. Generally all they need to be competitive equipment wise is a couple more mags and a pouch or two.,,, So from NO experience to get into the game, you are talking maybe at most $100,, Yeh we all know over time u get into triggers, grip tape modes etc,, But really,, A typical shooter wanting to play generally owns almost all thats needed to be competitive in production.

Revolver ? typical revolver guy has some 6 shot 357's / 38's,,  Not competitive at all.  You need a special purpose revolver  (8) shot.  cut for moons,, to even get started,,, So basically whole new rig to even start. Wasnt much better under old 6 shot rules that allowed moon clip 45's.
Want to make revolver division bigger, you need to make the most common revolvers and gear already out there competitive.
6 shots max,, all scored minor, no moonclips,