Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel targets

orionshooter

I’m looking to purchase some steel to get my son started. I noticed two different designs - steel plates hung on a hook and then another mounted on a bolt and spring. Any recommendations regarding these two designs as well as preferred vendors would be greatly appreciated.  

On 2/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, orionshooter said:

I’m looking to purchase some steel to get my son started. I noticed two different designs - steel plates hung on a hook and then another mounted on a bolt and spring. Any recommendations regarding these two designs as well as preferred vendors would be greatly appreciated.  

I'm not a fan of either one. I prefer the target on a slant, the top towards you and the bottom about 2-3 inches back so it directs the fragments down. 

You do not want more angle.  You want a slight angle.  When the bullet hits the steel it fragments and the debris sprays out in a plane matching the angle of the steel.   If you angle the steel too much the fragments that go up are actually driven forward and rain on the shooter and the RO.  How do I know.  I was MD at our club for 3 years.  We tried everything.  I also RO steel challenge matches at three clubs, so I'm well aware of where the fragments go.

The advantage of a swinging target is that what remains of a soft lead bullet drop to the ground.  Disadvantages are the bolt and the chain.  Hit the bolt head a couple of times and it shears off.

We have hanging steel targets, spring loaded steel targets, and targets legal for SCSA.  The SCSA legal targets and stands are by far the best.