Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headlamp Vs Gun mounted light for night shoots.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I run surefire lights on both my rifles and pistols. If they're good enough to go through the rigors of military use, then I trust them on my weapons. 

My backup light I carry is a stream light, only because I like the strobe feature it has

• 1 month later...

Looks really cool and similar to the match I just went to. It was my first one and I had a light mounted to my rifle. They also had big generators with light similar to what the road crews use so you could still see a little bit. I loved my weapon mounted might to illuminate steel that was to far to see with the overhead lights so I would choose that instead. BUT the fault lines were also illuminated by the generator lights. Maybe if you couldn’t see the fault lines maybe? But then it might be a safety issue. 

We have fairly frequent night matches at the range in the original post.  I use both a headlight and a weapon mounted light.  I set the headlight on the dim white light setting and tilt it down as far as it will go and use it for seeing where I'm going and any manipulation I have to do with the gun.

Nolan