Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Life

Patrick Sweeney

One guy at our club had 65,000 (in 5 months!) when he replaced the barrel in his open gun shooting Montana gold 115's at 175pf.  I know another shooter with 150,000 through his limited gun shooting Lazercast 180's and its still going strong.

I asked that question to the top shooters, and the array of answers was interesting.  Several thought we couldn't wear out a barrel today, what we are doing is simply shooting the bearing surfaces loose, and the bore is just fine.  Other gave estimates from 30-40K to 70-80K.

And none check in a Ransom rest, they shoot well enough that they can simply tell when it needs work.  As Jack Benny would say: "Well."

• 4 weeks later...

with 115's at 185 pf I have seen the accuracy go away

in 25k

124 jacketed one of my guns has 65K through it and the accuracy has fallen off, with the old PF you filled the case and shook a little off the top :)

Koenig has a 45 that saw mostly lead bullets. at 105k rounds the thing shoots well, funny thing is the rifleing starts about 3/4 inch down the bore on the top.

Powder usually kills the barrels. they usually wear on the top in front of the  chamber. the case comes in scrapes the residu out of the chamber and polishes the barrel.

Jacketed bullets are much harder and the abrasive works the barrel harder. lead is much more forgiving.

AA#7 is the most abrasive stuff I have ever seen

it literally scratches the barrel. Jim Boland said the filler in

it turns to alum oxide at the burning temp.

I talked to Joe Kessler a few years ago and he said he used to use AA#9 in his Open gun. He said he liked it, but it was extremely abrasive. He said it was like a sandblaster on his comp, it would take the finishes right off of it. He also said the powder would get stuck on the baffles of the comp and every fourth or fifth round, it would ignite the unburnt powder left over on the baffles and have a large explosion and flash.

• 4 weeks later...

I occasionally use AA# 9 to clean out my comp!  About 20 rounds will clean out all the gunk that likes to collect in the dank, dark corners.  The bang, bang, KABOOM, bang, bang, KABOOM will also get you some funny looks at the range.

I asked Benny Hill this question today at a match-- his take is that the bearing surfaces wear and the barrel throat wears such that you have to keep adding powder to make Major.  He replaces barrels every 40k rounds or so on his personal open blasters, though I suspect that may be because he can.

(Edited by shred at 5:14 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

• 7 months later...

So, at the last LEO class, I get to look at the bore of my current shorty AR, and waddyaknow, the bore is heat-cracked.  (A vendor brought a bore scope, I got a ten second look.  It was ugly, but not as bad as some I've seen.)

No great surprise, I loan it to students whose rifles go down, while I work on theirs.  Sometimes theirs are brand-new stuff, too.

It has less than 5K through it, but all timed, rapid and IPSC speed shooting.  The thing is, it still drops the 300M targets with ease.  So, the question is,

How long should it last?

It is a Colt 1/7 16" lightweight, and all it ever sees is factory ball or SS-109.

Has anyone kept track for many barrels?  (I've worn out four so far.)

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 12:49 pm on Aug. 31, 2002)

I did not keep perfect track but I wore out the Douglas styainless 1 in 9 twist barrel on my open gun at about 6000 rounds.   It did start to throw wild shots.  I think a normal barrel (for .223) is "match grade" for about 5000 but is shootable for much longer.  

Wasn't there a 10,000 round test of a Colt in one of the rags a while back.  They wore the barrel out...throat erosion.  The documented the accuracy at 1,000 round intervals.  They admitted to over-heating the barrel.  They also used one brand/type of ammo...which would likely lead to the pressures working on the same area of the chamber/throat every time.

I can confirm that barrel "heat" is the most destructive aspect to barrel life.  Dirty or not,  overheating your barrel is BAD.  Some of our matches make us heat them up but don't be stupid in practice......