Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 2nd Match

anonymouscuban

Some POV video of my 2nd match. Had my first last month. I'm pretty happy with how I did. My goals for this match were to move faster and get my reloads done on the move. I did that. Far from perfect but much better than last match.

Few things my inexperienced eyes see that I need to work on. First, I need to keep my gun up during large transitions. I'm bringing it down. Still need to move faster. My reloads need to be cleaner. And I need to keep my composure when things don't go as plan. I completely choked on the stage with all the steel and I let it get to me and it only made it worse. I can shoot those steel targets at that distance all day long but the pressure got to me and I got frustrated.

Would love to hear feedback from you all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Curious about the makeup shots. Were they helpful (read: absolutely necessary because you called a miss)?

Much of USPSA is cutting out excess (everything: shots, reloads, movement).

Edited by Rez805

Curious about the makeup shots. Were they helpful (read: absolutely necessary because you called a miss)?

Much of USPSA is cutting out excess (everything: shots, reloads, movement).
I had no hits on the make up shots I did on the tuxedo targets. There was one open target where I did a makeup that wasn't necessary in hindsight. I thought I threw a delta but it was a Charlie. Ended up with 2 alphas but not sure it was worth the time I spent.

This is the kind of stuff I still don't understand. When to spend the extra time to make up a shot I think I threw. I'm guessing if it's a no hit or a mike it's worth it but not to make up a charlie. But what about a delta?

1 hour ago, anonymouscuban said:

I had no hits on the make up shots I did on the tuxedo targets. There was one open target where I did a makeup that wasn't necessary in hindsight. I thought I threw a delta but it was a Charlie. Ended up with 2 alphas but not sure it was worth the time I spent.

This is the kind of stuff I still don't understand. When to spend the extra time to make up a shot I think I threw. I'm guessing if it's a no hit or a mike it's worth it but not to make up a charlie. But what about a delta?

Just an A-Class production shooter, but here are some thoughts:

Misses - 99.999999999999999999999999% of the time you should take the makeup*

Deltas - Rarely (I suppose if your first shot is a Delta and you're dragging your gun into the A-Zone, you might be okay with taking that makeup shot since it's probably only costing you your split time). It's best to just avoid Deltas as much as possible.

Charlies - Pretty much never

Some competitors can break a stage down and determine the stage hit factor. When you determine that, you consider the amount of time it would take to take a make-up on that Delta and how the points would affect the hit factor. It's kind of tough to do during a stage. 

Here's a vid from some shooters who break it down a bit and give some insight on how the Stage Hit Factor can affect your plan

*There are edge cases where a make-up shot on a miss might be the wrong decision. It's usually at the very end of a stage and involves a standing reload. For example:

Final array had some hardcover. I buried the very last shot into the black. My slide didn't lock back due to my weak hand resting on on the slide release/lock. Making up that miss (even if it were an alpha) would be detrimental to my HF. Here's why:

Here's the stage as it played out (including a miss)

Screenshot_20190224-200207.thumb.png.8161801bc92bc0e9b93b1d4e8081ca11.png

Here's what would have happened if I took a makeup on that very last target that I engaged (and re-engaged with no ammo).

Screenshot_20190224-200213.thumb.png.e3f639ce0f3bceefcf98386282518fda.png

I put a "counter" on that video and estimated that my final time would have been around 25.80 to 26.00 (remember, the last shot I took was buried into the black, I did a weird boogie to the left because I though I missed a shot on paper in the previous array but when I got there it was fine. Finally, I went back to the final array and determined that I would have needed to do a standing reload. I estimate that it would take around 1.25 seconds. The combined time penalty is ~3.65 seconds to replace the miss/penalty with an Alpha.

No Make-up shot on the Miss: 5.9142 HF

With Make-up shot on the Miss: 5.6589 HF

Edited by Rez805

Just an A-Class production shooter, but here are some thoughts:

Misses - 99.999999999999999999999999% of the time you should take the makeup*

Deltas - Rarely (I suppose if your first shot is a Delta and you're dragging your gun into the A-Zone, you might be okay with taking that makeup shot since it's probably only costing you your split time). It's best to just avoid Deltas as much as possible.

Charlies - Pretty much never

Some competitors can break a stage down and determine the stage hit factor. When you determine that, you consider the amount of time it would take to take a make-up on that Delta and how the points would affect the hit factor. It's kind of tough to do during a stage. 

Here's a vid from some shooters who break it down a bit and give some insight on how the Stage Hit Factor can affect your plan

[/url]  

*There are edge cases where a make-up shot on a miss might be the wrong decision. It's usually at the very end of a stage and involves a standing reload. For example:

Final array had some hardcover. I buried the very last shot into the black. My slide didn't lock back due to my weak hand resting on on the slide release/lock. Making up that miss (even if it were an alpha) would be detrimental to my HF. Here's why:

Here's the stage as it played out (including a miss)

Screenshot_20190224-200207.thumb.png.8161801bc92bc0e9b93b1d4e8081ca11.png

Here's what would have happened if I took a makeup on that very last target that I engaged (and re-engaged with no ammo).

Screenshot_20190224-200213.thumb.png.e3f639ce0f3bceefcf98386282518fda.png

I put a "counter" on that video and estimated that my final time would have been around 25.80 to 26.00 (remember, the last shot I took was buried into the black, I did a weird boogie to the left because I though I missed a shot on paper in the previous array but when I got there it was fine. Finally, I went back to the final array and determined that I would have needed to do a standing reload. I estimate that it would take around 1.25 seconds. The combined time penalty is ~3.65 seconds to replace the miss/penalty with an Alpha.

No Make-up shot on the Miss: 5.9142 HF

With Make-up shot on the Miss: 5.6589 HF

[/url]

Makes sense but I think at this stage in my match shooting, it's a little too abstract for me to consider while I'm running a stage. Who knows, maybe not but I'm still pretty tense when I'm shooting. Have a lot going on in the melon so adding one more factor think about may be too much.

I will try to consider this concept when I'm doing my stage planning. It makes sense that on certain stages, time matters more than points and vice versa. Those longer stages that involve lots of movement, I will have to remind myself that get through it faster with a few more Charlie's will rank better than slowing down to assure alphas.

The part where Stoeger talks about choosing where and how to engage a target depending on the hit factor is something I haven't thought of. It makes sense now. There were a couple of stages where I could have engaged a target from the starting position but this meant a longer shot. I chose to engage later to assure better hits. Once I get my scoring I will do some calcs to see if it would have worked out better if I did shoot them earlier but got charlies.