Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ron Avery

ChuckS

This is unfortunately not a mistake. Ron Avery has passed away. He was battling cancer for several years and it finally won. This is a real bummer. I knew Ron very well and he was my mentor when I first started in the practical shooting sports in 2008. We had a lot of fun together while training and attending matches over the years. His ability to assess a shooters skills, provide precise solutions, and explain the “Why” of how things should be down was second to none. I was lucky to have a chance to do a one on one training class with him late last year one last time. Even though he was struggling with his cancer then he was still able to help me learn some new stuff as always. I can’t even quantify how much of my practical shooting success is due to Ron Avery’s involvement in my quest to maximize my skills, but I know it is a TON. We are undoubtedly diminished with his loss.

Rest in Peace my friend!!!

Oh, that is terrible.  I never got to meet the man, much less take a class from him, but I found his interviews and videos of parts of his classes fascinating.  He was clearly at the far right end of the bell curve in terms of thinking about all things practical shooting (and a number of other topics, too)... what a loss.  

Losing Ron hurts. I was fortunate enough to train with him at TPC. I always hoped to go back. Never even knew he was sick.

He was an amazing diagnostician and explainer of how to shoot well. He will be missed.

I think about Ron, Louis Awerbuck--and so many other giants that we have lost. They contributed to the foundational knowledge of our sport.

Sad day.

Edited by shootmove
fix

I was sorry to hear of his passing.  In years past I was fortunate to run into Ron at different times and squad with him at matches, the last being at the High Desert Classic in ALBQ years ago.  I also spent a decent amount of time sitting around bullshi**ing in the hotel at one of the Vegas Nationals waiting for scores. Quite an interesting fellow who really was serious about shooting and being the best he could at it. 

Edited by Intel6

Today is very sad day for me. I lost Ron Avery!
I grew on his instructionals videos and dreamed one day to take classes from him. He was an instructor from GOD! Passionate shooter of IPSC and USPSA!
Rest in Peace my Friend!ff7246d74a5245e9b83334ba1fccf8fb.jpg

Boy is this a hard pill to swallow.

Two of my icons, leaders, funny men ... Ron and Mike Voight ... both too young and too soon.

I don't recall when I first met Ron. I was so very young. I would guess almost incompetent with a gun. I was just learning my way through the game of IPSC.

At the time my "club" was the Kodiak Island Sportsman's Association. I was wearing a jacket with their logo ... K.I.S.A and I distinctly remember Ron looking at it and said "there's the answer boys ... Keep It Simple A$$hole!"

It was epic.

Over the years we shot many matches together. Ron was so analytical. I remember how methodical he was at matches. He knew to the step, to the stone, where he was going to be on a stage. His vision for exactly what he was going to do was amazing. At that time in my life I thought it was too rigid. I was wrong.

Ironically enough last year when I started shooting matches again the first few matches I noticed I wasn't dialed in enough. I was slipping up here and there and I remember distinctly thinking that I needed to approach the stages more like Ron. Have a detailed plan of attack. Know the key areas. Know exactly where you want to be always. All these years later ... still influencing me.

But the memory I will cherish most is our jumping contests. I don't know how this came about but Ron and I loved to challenge each other on jumps. Flat footed we'd measure up an obstacle and see if we could tackle it. No running starts. Just flat footed, slight bend in the legs, and up you'd go. This was obviously back in my ... skinnier ... days. But I remember so clearly those competitions. And we'd scale some pretty high obstacles too.

I am so very saddened today to hear he left the range. His impact on the sport, law enforcement officers, and people is very well in tact. But losing him as a person, as a presence... it's just hard to explain. 

My heart is so heavy tonight. Prayers for his family and friends. And Thank You Ron ... thank you for everything. Your impact on a young shooter a hundred years ago you likely never realized but trust me ... it is very real.

God Speed friend.

That made me very, very sad to hear. I loved being on the same squad with Ron. With our totally opposite personalities, we had so much fun, constantly messing with each other on which was the best way to shoot the stage. His passion for both shooting and teaching was unsurpassed. Way too soon for a truly great man to have left us, and the range.

I had the privilege of taking several classes from Ron over the span of the last 20 years. I still use techniques he taught me and teach the same stuff to our officers today. He was one helluva instructor that broke things down so that it would be impossible not to understand his reasoning behind his theory. Even if you couldn't pull off the exercise you came away knowing what you needed to work on to accomplish the task. Ron was also a friend/adjunct instructor for the Texas Tactical Police Officers Association. It was easy to see his enthusiasm and his passion for the shooting disciplines when you were around him. I have been to many shooting based courses over my 36+ years in Law Enforcement but his classes were at the top of the list. The guy could just flat shoot like few on this planet can. I took a 1911 class from him at the Houston police departments range many years ago, he put a paster on a target stood about 10 yards away, drew and fired a shot and hit the paster at just under 1 second. Then he faced up range and on the beep, spun around drew his pistol, fired and put another shot on the paster at 1.01. He certainly had our attention now. He also did it with a borrowed gun. RIP Ron you will be missed my friend