Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Safe Alternatives

jschweg

I've seen a few "gun safe" threads in this forum, I thought this might be a cool discussion.

I always assumed that I would end up buying one of those multi-thousand dollar gun safes when my gun collection grew to that point, but have entertained the idea of converting an empty closet to serve that purpose.

Has anyone done something like this? I realize that this would be a lot more than simply throwing a reinforced door and frame on a closet, i.e. reasonable fireproofing, a thief could just smash through the drywall next to the door, etc.

I feel like this would be a cool project and would end up with more room on the inside, and not have a huge hulking safe somewhere in the house.

I've read various things about a lot of those big expensive safes being a joke for thieves to get into anyway.

Anyone do this? Pics of your setup?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Many years ago when we had a house custom built, we included a large closet with 2x6 studs (instead of 2x4). Instead of drywall we lined the interior with 3/16" steel plates.  The area around the door was reinforced with angle iron.  The door was an exterior grade solid core steel door that matched the other interior doors.  On the hinge side we had several steel pins that when closed recessed into the angle iron.  On the lock side we had three long throw deadbolts that also set into the angle iron.

Still not as strong as a good gun safe but if anyone had gotten into the house, it may have deterred them getting anything.

About the same time a co-worker had a house built with a closet sized to where he was able to slide in his gun safe.

I liked his better.

6 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Many years ago when we had a house custom built, we included a large closet with 2x6 studs (instead of 2x4). Instead of drywall we lined the interior with 3/16" steel plates.  The area around the door was reinforced with angle iron.  The door was an exterior grade solid core steel door that matched the other interior doors.  On the hinge side we had several steel pins that when closed recessed into the angle iron.  On the lock side we had three long throw deadbolts that also set into the angle iron.

Still not as strong as a good gun safe but if anyone had gotten into the house, it may have deterred them getting anything.

About the same time a co-worker had a house built with a closet sized to where he was able to slide in his gun safe.

I liked his better.

How much did that set you back if you don’t mind me asking?

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

How much did that set you back if you don’t mind me asking?

I don't really know.  This was back in 1989.  A friend supplied the steel panels for free (required some cutting to fit) and the builder supplied the door and locks.  I do remember they needed to reinforce the ceiling joists to handle the weight.  I 'm sure that it was cheaper than a good gun safe (since the expensive parts were free)and it was a good bit larger than a gun safe (approx 8'x10").

This is pretty close to what you're looking for.

http://www.rhinovault.com/saferooms.htm

If you want a Hollywood style gun wall

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/gun-wall-kit-gun-vault-8/

Also look at modular (snap together) safes.  Some are 'lightweight' with side walls similar to conventional gun safes, but there are a couple of companies that make them with plate steel all the way around.

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/

https://zanottiarmor.com/

HI Ya, I don't see where J Schweg names his state of residence. Cal requires a safe.

but after research i found that the sheet steel boxes sold by Walmart and others fits the requirements. So I have two now. they are $100. or so each. Come in lots of sizes'; bolt to wall and floor and has three point locking systems. one is Homak,, the other is Stack-On.

why spend more?