Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you have a bullet feeder on a 650, do you use a powder cop die?

Chills1994

Currently with my 5 station Dillon 650 with pre-processed...errr... re-processed brass, the second toolhead has station #1 empty, #2 is the Dillon powder measure, #3 is empty (I have a mirror and a light shining downward so I can visually see the powder in the case), station #4 is a Redding bullet seating die, and #5 is a Lee FCD.

It would seem to me that if you ran a bullet feeder, it would be ideal to have a "powder cop die".

So does that mean then that bullet seating is done at station #5 and a separate crimp die goes away?

Edited by Chills1994

Before I had a bullet feeder (on my 650) I ran a powder cop die on every toolhead in position 3. It was cool to watch the stem pop up every time I pulled the handle.

When I was contemplating getting a bullet feeder I was really worried about losing the powder cop die and felt I needed to find a way to start seating and crimping again on the last station.

YMMV but after running the bullet feeder in that position now and not having a visual powder check doesn't bother me a bit. Every time I refill the primers I empty the primer catcher box; the loaded bullet bin ... throw in more brass and take a look at the powder hopper. If the hopper and the powder bar moves when I pull the handle it drops powder.

I have been doing it that way so long now I have complete confidence I won't have a powder problem. 

I do dump every "100" into their own little plastic tray ... just in case ... ever ... I finish a batch and notice there has been a powder drop problem I didn't catch during the run (and that hasn't happened yet).

bulletfeederA.thumb.jpg.26b89305f0afb4b84ca81f9680ff1aa1.jpg   

You have a case feeder, bullet feeder and a progressive press so visually checking each case for powder BEFORE you pull the handle is literally your only job when loading.

Don’t over think it... this the preferred method assuming your press isn’t automated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

I see no need for a powder check. I run MBF IN #3 and there is ample time to look in the case just like when hand seating bullets

I do the exact same thing, you would be suprised how accurate your eyeballs are when you get used to your charge. I also don't try to run my press at maximum speed I just cruise at a comfortable speed not to miss anything going wrong.

17 hours ago, pete627 said:

Before I had a bullet feeder (on my 650) I ran a powder cop die on every toolhead in position 3. It was cool to watch the stem pop up every time I pulled the handle.

When I was contemplating getting a bullet feeder I was really worried about losing the powder cop die and felt I needed to find a way to start seating and crimping again on the last station.

YMMV but after running the bullet feeder in that position now and not having a visual powder check doesn't bother me a bit. Every time I refill the primers I empty the primer catcher box; the loaded bullet bin ... throw in more brass and take a look at the powder hopper. If the hopper and the powder bar moves when I pull the handle it drops powder.

I have been doing it that way so long now I have complete confidence I won't have a powder problem. 

I do dump every "100" into their own little plastic tray ... just in case ... ever ... I finish a batch and notice there has been a powder drop problem I didn't catch during the run (and that hasn't happened yet).

bulletfeederA.thumb.jpg.26b89305f0afb4b84ca81f9680ff1aa1.jpg   

Who makes that bullet feeder?

Is that an RCBS?

Thanks for all the replies everybody!

52 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

Who makes that bullet feeder?

Is that an RCBS?

Yeah ... it's an RCBS (caught a good deal on it at the time) but I had to use another Dillon case feeder arm to mount it. The green "stick" RCBS gives you (for a mount) is useless w/ a 650. Has worked well.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/254443-bullet-feeder-collator-mount-xl650/

Initially I was worried about getting rid of the powder check for the bullet feeder, but I've been running without it for a while now and don't worry about it at all anymore.  All you have to do with a case feeder and bullet feeder is pull the handle, so I just stare at the case in station 3 to make sure the powder level looks right while doing so.  Powder checks aren't precision tools anyway, all they're really doing making sure you don't get a double charge or no charge...each of which are easy to identify quickly visually.

Prior to getting a bullet feeder, I had the powder measure in position 3. One less index for powder to spill. My old setup for .40 was to decap and size with a Dillon die, size again with a U-die and prime at position 2, powder 3, seat 4, and crimp 5. I never used a u-die for 9 or 45. I saw the KISS bullet feeder at the 2006 Area 2 and was hooked. been running with the dropper die in position 3 since then. I load mostly 9 now so in addition to looking into the case for powder at position 3, I also glimpse at the case in position 1 just in case one of those f*#king stepped cases has escaped my rigorous inspection protocol. So, I have been running a 650 with something other than a powder check at position 3 without issue for near 15 years. I will probably continue 😉 .