Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switch away from Cmore?

darthdively

i'm thinking of switching from my standard Cmore to one of the fangled smaller ones. aiming to reduce weight at the top end. have any of you done this. i see the smaller dots are more popular.

i want something smaller, lighter, and a big window. was thinking about getting a holosun sometime(i like their products).

suggestions?

thanks in advance315ec793f1af219681addaf3282d2c9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hard to beat the size of the glass in a cmore. For me, that is the determining factor. I want to be able to see the most dot in the most situations. If I have a poor draw and i'm not aligned perfectly, with a bigger glass I have a better chance of still being able to see my dot.

Chris

There are some other threads on this already, but I will say I started with a Cmore and switched to a smaller dot and have no regrets. The battery life of the smaller dots is a big plus IMO. I also like the way they adjust better than the old style.

I still use the large CMore on my open guns. They have been reliable and inexpensive so I stick with them. 

When the RTS2 came out, I contemplated on switching over. Then there were reliability issues so I gave up on the thought of switching over. And the cost to switch for two open guns is a little painful. New scopes, and new mounts and a different battery. 

I played with another shooters gun with the RTS2 and I don’t believe I’m missing anything. 

I just made the switch. I did love the huge glass of the cmore, but my Romeo is super wide, just not that tall. The Romeo is as bright, if not brighter then my cmore was. That was my one worry. I had some other micro dots in the past and they just weren’t bright enough for sunny days. That’s not a problem with the Romeo. I never really had problems with ejection. Once in a while a FTE. I’ve put around 1000rds though my gun with the micro dot and didn’t have a single malfunction. I’d say go for it. 

Rts2 is the way to go. 

It has the most dot size options (3, 6, 8 or 10 moa). Easy dot adjustment. Holds zero. Easy battery change. Small and light and with the tallest window of the micro dots (width is not that important. Height is). Very nice, bright, clear dot. 

I have had isssues running them on slides after 25,000 rounds but no issues on 2 open guns. When frame mounted they should be trouble free. 

49 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

Rts2 is the way to go. 

It has the most dot size options (3, 6, 8 or 10 moa). Easy dot adjustment. Holds zero. Easy battery change. Small and light and with the tallest window of the micro dots (width is not that important. Height is). Very nice, bright, clear dot. 

I have had isssues running them on slides after 25,000 rounds but no issues on 2 open guns. When frame mounted they should be trouble free. 

I agree that height is more important. I’m not big on the lack of height with my Romeo 1. One of the shortest, but also the widest at 30mm. I’d rather those dimensions be flipped. 

I used a full size cmore for years on my open gun (2011). Had issues with ejection path early on but got it tuned to work. After about 15k rounds ejection problems came back and I had a hard time fixing it. Switched to an RTS2 for last season and struggled all year finding my dot on the first shot after draw. Switched back over winter And it was like looking through a 55gal drum. After intensive tuning I think she’s ready for another season.  Dot is there every draw, maybe not centered but it’s in the glass every time. Sitting at 93.48 in open SC hoping for GM this year.  

Hello: I am still testing the Holosun 510C on my open pistol. I really like the large glass window and the bright dot. No problems so far after only 1500 rounds or so. I did remove the shield to make it lighter which it actually lighter than a metal C-More. Some of the other red dots have not been holding up around here very well. C-More slide rides seem to last for me a very long time since I have never had one break yet. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I am just using the red dot with just the dot. The circle is pretty large on the 510C. The circle on the 507C is a better size for USPSA pistol matches. I know some that are using just the circle for all steel matches and they seem to really like it. Circle and Dot was just too busy for me. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, OPENB said:

Those using the 510c, which reticle are you using? Any advantage in the circle/dot?

I am using just the dot.. circle+dot reticle may work great for hosing stage, need to practice to adapt the reticle though

I've had my eye on the Holosun 510c with the green dot. The larger window is very appealing. Going to let some more trial and error be done by others before making my decision.

I have been running nothing but Cmores but recently have been running the Vortex Razor red dot. The whole unit is so much smaller it changes the feel completely.  Also since I changed from a sideways mount with a Cmore to a regular mount, may have had something to do with it as well.