Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand seating primers

kimmie

I hand seat primers after stainless pinning, I try to do everything in large batches so I'm usually priming a 4 gallon bucket of brass at one time.  I don't prime it all at once, but do over a couple of evenings of TV watching.  I use Tula SRMP primers and have never had one not fire.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, don't de-prime first, it's completely unnecessary and asking for trouble.  Don't try to ream the primer pockets, it's completely unnecessary and asking for trouble!

Just tumble the brass with primers in, then load your ammo.  Re-squeeze with a hand-priming tool if your machine doesn't consistently seat the primers to below flush with the primer cups just starting to flatten.  

If you have access to a 1050, it primes on the down-stroke and can be adjusted to create the correct primer seating depth. 

I have gotten quite partial to hand priming with the Frankford Arsenal tool.  For  38 special I prefer Federal SPMMP.

For 45acp I prefer Federal LPMP.  I decap, wet tumble w/pins, dry, size, polish tumble, and hand prime.  Brass is sorted  by Manufacturer for loading.

Edited by synchronicity
spelling

Dirty brass is tumbled in corn cob media then loaded on Dillon 650 extra pressure when seating primer. No problems so far and that is after thousands of rounds over the last 25 years or close to that. I can't exactly remember when I bought my first 650. Revolver goes bang every time with Federal primers and all autos with Winchester. Do what makes you feel good when seating primers but all the other extra steps are unnecessary in my opinion. Revolver is at 6 1/2 lbs  on DA.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update -  press cleaned and everything tightened up. One thing I noticed was that I needed to readjust the location of the loaded round bin holder where it attaches to the bench to keep it from interfering with the handle on the upstroke.  It was loose where it was screwed into the bench and moving occasionally.  Federal small pistol primers seat deeper than the federal magnum match and I also followed the suggestions on how to seat them with force, from this post. Gun came back this week from TK custom with a master action trigger job which included the speed hammer.  Eli left it at 8lbs just in case I was still having a primer issue.  I took it to the range to test and was able to get it down to 6 1/2 pounds.  I think I could have gone even lighter but 6 1/2 feels really good.  Amazing!  Shot a match yesterday.  150 rounds.  No misfires and functioned flawlessly.  Happy lady here.