Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand seating primers

kimmie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you can see it well in this picture but the card slides right over the base of the case and doesn't hit the primers.  And, there is a 'tiny' bit of light between the card and the primer.

primer.jpg

3 minutes ago, kimmie said:

That's a really interesting read.  I had no idea.  Thanks!

You are welcome...and my 550 seats the Federal primers a fair bit deeper than what yours look like. Tighten that shell plate up and give it a really good push when seating the primer. I mean push that handle hard...it won't hurt that primer.

5 minutes ago, George16 said:

Looks good to me. However, mine is seated just a hair deeper than that with Winchester  and CCI primers.

So an 8 lb trigger should be working reliably on those. I'll just wait to see what happens at TK custom. 

Just now, kimmie said:

So an 8 lb trigger should be working reliably on those. I'll just wait to see what happens at TK custom. 

It worked 100% with federal primers on my Shadow 2 with the 8.5# hammer spring from CGW .

However, I had instances of light strikes (about 10-20 in 100) with the WSP so I switched to the 11.5# hammer spring. With the 11.5# hammer spring, I didn’t experienced any light strikes with WSP, CCI, Remington and fiocchi primers.

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

You are welcome...and my 550 seats the Federal primers a fair bit deeper than what yours look like. Tighten that shell plate up and give it a really good push when seating the primer. I mean push that handle hard...it won't hurt that primer.

I'm thinking a good cleaning and reassembly might help too.  I'm going to try yours and the others suggestions.  I guess I not only shoot like a girl, I reload like a girl too, lol.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:32 AM, MikeyScuba said:

I only use federal magnum match as they are cheaper.  I’ve read recently that they are harder but I’ve had no issues and I’ve got 20k of ‘em!

i hand seat all my competition rounds after loading on a 650.  Works for me.  

Did you mean that you seat primers deeper with a hand tool, AFTER they have been loaded?  

11 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Yes, I’m far from the only one however.

too much work lol. I did that for a while but the RCBS press I was using to do it seated them waaaaay too deep and I had a ton of light strikes at Nationals last year. So now I just seat them the first time to ~.008" and be done with it.

I do the same as PatJones but it sounds like you're seating them deep enough.

Only other thing would be to make sure the gauge you are using is accurate, could it be 8 lbs you're measuring is not a true reading.

Thanks for the heads up on f100's.

24 minutes ago, swordfish said:

too much work lol. I did that for a while but the RCBS press I was using to do it seated them waaaaay too deep and I had a ton of light strikes at Nationals last year. So now I just seat them the first time to ~.008" and be done with it.

I did the super deep hand seating too using a book too press down on the handle.  For a few thousand rounds.... over a 7 day span.  Switched to magnum primers and made an assumption of pf.  PF of ~117.  }{###}(}!!!!!! Keep  in mind I was going down to Buffalo in a few days to ship ammunition to the IRC and didn’t plan on going down again.  I prefer to take down boxed ammo while traveling to a match.  I’m not up for trying to explain to the border agents that I’m only declaring that I’m importing ammo to ship.  If I cross with guns and match invite then the ammo isn’t something they care about.  It’s illegal for me to ship it down from Canada, I must ship from the US.

i just sit on the couch and re-seat match rounds about 200 at a time. (With safety glasses on)

6 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I did the super deep hand seating too using a book too press down on the handle.  For a few thousand rounds.... over a 7 day span.  Switched to magnum primers and made an assumption of pf.  PF of ~117.  }{###}(}!!!!!! Keep  in mind I was going down to Buffalo in a few days to ship ammunition to the IRC and didn’t plan on going down again.  I prefer to take down boxed ammo while traveling to a match.  I’m not up for trying to explain to the border agents that I’m only declaring that I’m importing ammo to ship.  If I cross with guns and match invite then the ammo isn’t something they care about.  It’s illegal for me to ship it down from Canada, I must ship from the US.

i just sit on the couch and re-seat match rounds about 200 at a time. (With safety glasses on)

Bring a bunch and then leave it with someone lol. Are you driving to IRC this year? If flying I can probably take some back with me when I come up.

Funny you mention leaving ammo with someone, I left hundreds on the doorstep of Mesquite Mayhem.  Just didn’t shoot that many on Monday with MWP and could only take 600 home.  Shame they took the Texas stars, I could have spent hours practicing on those.  None near here, not legal for IPSC.

Driving down to the IRC. I got a rental for the East Coast Regionals last Nov and we have free breakfasts for our next stay due to issues in November.  

Thanks for the offer.  Will be shipping ammo from Rochester while shooting with jcc7x7 on the Sat ICORE matches at GCC. The ups depot is 5 minutes from a bbq place that got recommended to us yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to do a quick update.  I took apart my press and cleaned and tightened everything.  Meanwhile, my order of federal sp primers came in.  A huge difference between priming with the regular sp and the magnum.  I am able to seat them a bit deeper (along with using the recommendations of using my left hand to pull on the press and pushing really hard to seat them) and the other thing that I noticed was that the sp primers flow right into the primer tube whereas the magnum primers, I had to jiggle the primer tube to get them to go in.  So, my unscientific analysis is that the magnum primers are indeed a bit bigger (or thicker) than the regular one.

42 minutes ago, Vincerama said:

Do you clean the primer pockets when you clean the brass? I mean, do you deprime the cases, then wet tumble them so the primers are sitting on bare brass? Or do you decap them on the press and seat primers over the crap (which should still work).

No, I deprime and seat the primers at the same time.  I tumble clean with walnut or corn media.

Being new to reloading and even newer to Short Colt, I de-prime/ size and then re-tumble. When lining up brass for priming and expanding, I go over every pocket with a pocket reamer and a dental pick. Quite a few times, I've found a bit of walnut or corn cob media stuck in the flash hole. I'm going into my first busy summer session loading my own and realize that I won't be able to keep up with demand and will have to start unclenching on some of these steps.

Edited by Mcfoto

3 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Being new to reloading and even newer to Short Colt, I de-prime/ size and then re-tumble. When lining up brass for priming and expanding, I go over every pocket with a pocket reamer and a dental pick. Quite a few times, I've found a bit of walnut or corn cob media stuck in the flash hole. I'm going into my first busy summer session loading my own and realize that I won't be able to keep up with demand and will have to start unclenching on some of these steps.

That sounds like a ton of extra work. I dry tumble mine with the primers still in. Shot 16k last year and only had problems when I seated the primers too deeply for a few hundred rounds. Even then most still went off. No squibs yet.

Wet tumble.  But then I wash, deprime + size, wash again then roll-size.  Makes reloading eaaaasy.

Just be careful dry tumbling, that dust contains a lot of fine lead dust.  Slavex had to spend $17K to decontaminate his house.

Edited by MikeyScuba
grammar