Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A different red dot Q: UH-1 or two red dots?

Figured this question was specific enough that I'd start a new thread:

I've watched Josh Froelich's JP video where he is using two red dots--specifically the offset one for hard weak-side leans (and shooting over barriers on low shots).   I've also seen comments that larger windowed optics, such as the Vortex UH-1, perhaps lessens the need for two smaller reflex optics.   

Ultimately, has anyone played around with the double red dot and found it superior?   Or, have you used a UH-1 (or other larger windowed optics such as an EOTech or Holosun 510c) and found it is good enough for weak-side leans?

What say you?

Thanks

46 minutes ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Figured this question was specific enough that I'd start a new thread:

I've watched Josh Froelich's JP video where he is using two red dots--specifically the offset one for hard weak-side leans (and shooting over barriers on low shots).   I've also seen comments that larger windowed optics, such as the Vortex UH-1, perhaps lessens the need for two smaller reflex optics.   

Ultimately, has anyone played around with the double red dot and found it superior?   Or, have you used a UH-1 (or other larger windowed optics such as an EOTech or Holosun 510c) and found it is good enough for weak-side leans?

What say you?

Thanks

I have tried using a 45 degree offset optic along with my primary optic.

I gave up on using it. I just learned my hold over for close in shots (or I used my laser sight) and if I had a weak side lean I would transfer the gun over to my weak shoulder while in transition to that shooting location. I have learned to do that transfer rather quickly and to close my right eye to allow my left eye to acquire the dot.

We are all different and match stages will not be the same. You just have to know your limits and your equipment.

It is always better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.  
I've been using that saying for years. Lol

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I currently run with an offset, I keep it with the same zero as my primary.  I wouldn't run a match with out it, if there are more than 2 targets that you are hard leaning for there is a good chance that being in the gun will be faster with transitions and better hits then counting on a laser, especially if the targets are at any distance. I don't see how a larger window would assist in hard lean situations. Also there will be a time that a laser and an offset won't help and you will need to be able to transfer to the week side so I would recommend being proficient in that as well. Like said above though every shooter and stages are different so try it all out if you can and see what works for you.

7 minutes ago, stango424 said:

I currently run with an offset, I keep it with the same zero as my primary.  I wouldn't run a match with out it, if there are more than 2 targets that you are hard leaning for there is a good chance that being in the gun will be faster with transitions and better hits then counting on a laser, especially if the targets are at any distance. I don't see how a larger window would assist in hard lean situations. Also there will be a time that a laser and an offset won't help and you will need to be able to transfer to the week side so I would recommend being proficient in that as well. Like said above though every shooter and stages are different so try it all out if you can and see what works for you.

Laser isn't anything I'm interested in. 

Do you have the same optic for the pair?  The same dot size? 

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

I currently run a UH-1 as a primary ,  Romeo 4M as an offset and a CMR-206 laser @ 12 o'clock. 

UH-1 BZO = 23/100 yards ( max of 1.98" high @ 65 yrds) ( bottom Delta in recital is POA/POI @ 5-7 yards, POI is 1" below the Delta @ 3 yards or less ) 

Romeo 4M BZO= 7  yards ( bottom of the outer ring 4 o'clock in recital is POA/POI @ 3 yards) (top of the outer ring 10 o'clock in recital is POA/POI @ 15 yards)

CMR-206 BZO= 3yards or less ( 1" high @ 7-10 yards not much visibility in bright sun past that ) 

I personally like the larger window of the UH-1 and find I can lean farther with it than a smaller window and as I continue to lean the transition in to the Romeo 4M is seamless.. I tend to use the laser on Drive by close/ awkward targets (  in windows and tight to the wall, laydowns  behind props...) and have used it on a 1st target from the belt on several occasions.. but get the most use out of it @ indoor matches. .. a week side transition is still a thing but having all 3 sights has lessened the situations that it is required to be used

I ran the UH-1 last year but then I switched to the 510C; then I immediately switched back to the UH-1. I like the clean sight picture and large window. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 510C I just liked the UH-1 better. With that reticle, hold-overs are no problem. I have it sighted in for a 50/200 yard zero; so hold-overs are pretty much mindless.

I do use a vortex razor on an offset. I use it for extreme leans and maybe some close-up hosing on a short stage. My vortex is sighted in for 10 yards. I did this to keep me from defaulting to it. I have a laser but have never used it in competition.

Bottom line there is noting wrong with having an offset as a backup. Using a large window optic is a good idea but there will be the occasional lean that would be easier with an offset optic.

Edited by BiggMike