Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 2 STI mag follower in gen 1 tube?

BlueBulletBeaker

13 hours ago, CzViper said:

Do you need/want lock back?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Negative. Let me elaborate. I have and old set of beat up STI gen 1 140mm mags with stock followers, springs, and base pads. The guts are not in the best of shape.

When the price of gen 2 mags came down recently, I bought four. I also have four new grams FKS-11 kits. My plan is to take the guts out of the new gen 2 mags, install the grams kits in them, and then use them as my match mags.

I was hoping that the brand new guts that came out of the gen 2 mags could be installed in the old gen 1 tubes to breath new life into them. They would make a good practice set.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have four STI Gen 1 mags that all work great.
I swapped the followers for a gen 2 follower and none of them even come close to working. The dimensions on the Gen 2 followers are way wider. They won't even push up through the top. My feed lips are set at .380- .385.

Gen 1 followers on left
Gen 2 followers on right

Gen 1 mags in picf35de0d85d2d130f8c59b31c47d86bd6.jpgccc9d5cd1a5170d30c425c49808e74b6.jpge6518b016605a5c6c4255cbc4469eea6.jpg

My assumption is that with some material taken off and some tuning they will fit and function but from stock factory form they won't even come up through the Gen 1 tube. At least mine as shown. YMMV.