Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Missed This One First Time Through

Smitty79

I just read the 2019 rules again.  First time through, I missed that you can mark them on the inside for Production and Carry Optics.   So I can make a mark so it's easy for my old eyes to see where to put the mag in.   This is new for 2019 right?

yeh,, not that I am a tactical Tim,, but just plain dumb thing to worry about. Practice ur reloads and learn muscle memory... If you are farting around looking for a dot instead of your next target, you are losing to an equally skilled shooter that is looking for a target.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

yeh,, not that I am a tactical Tim,, but just plain dumb thing to worry about. Practice ur reloads and learn muscle memory... If you are farting around looking for a dot instead of your next target, you are losing to an equally skilled shooter that is looking for a target.

you don't think top shooters train to look at the magwell when reloading?

34 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Let me know if your scores suddenly improve. I suspect not. 

I don't think the idea is to suddenly improve your scores. I think the idea is to make it easier to train your eyes to index on the magwell, so you do it subconsciously, so over time and practice, your reloads become more consistent.

I personally don't put any visual marker on my magwells, but I'm aware that if I look at the magwell, and have my index finger down the front of the mag, it's almost impossible to bungle a reload, so anything that trains me to look more consistently at the magwell (not at the mag) is probably beneficial in the long run.

Edited by motosapiens

hey if it works go for it,, Im just a Joe Smoo,, but to me seems if u are flipping ur gun up enough to see a dot, you are rotating gun up too much,, and adding movement... more movement meens slower. I dont have high speed internet,,, so cant watch videos,,, maybe I am wrong,,,  But I used to RO guys like Jarret and those guys were smooth as silk and wernt bringing empty gun up into their face to reload.

You don't have to bring the gun up to your face to see the magwell (although keeping the gun high is definitely faster for divisions with big magwells, and many top instructors teach that).

It sounds like perhaps you don't understand what we are talking about.

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

hey if it works go for it,, Im just a Joe Smoo,, but to me seems if u are flipping ur gun up enough to see a dot, you are rotating gun up too much,, and adding movement... more movement meens slower. I dont have high speed internet,,, so cant watch videos,,, maybe I am wrong,,,  But I used to RO guys like Jarret and those guys were smooth as silk and wernt bringing empty gun up into their face to reload.

I'd say he's keeping it just below eye level, closer to his face, and looking down at his index point. 

tj.jpg

yeah, if you flipped the gun over so you could look way up inside the magwell, that would probably be wasted movement.

OTOH, if you position the gun where the mag is going to be when you grab it aggressively from your belt, and orient the gun so the mag as you bring it up points right into the magwell, you should still be able to see the very bottom of the inside of the magwell. If your eyes are on the at spot, and you are holding the mag correctly, it is very difficult to bobble the reload. 

Here's an example of what some folks do to draw their eyes to the right place. think of it like a fiber-optic front sight.IPSC%20Rules%20-%20Brian%20Enos's%20Foru

screen shots of me from various 2.5s 4 aces drills during practice. shot to shot a 1.1 to 1.2 reload for me.

and as far as a reload effecting my score, if I can reduce my stage time even just 0.10 of a second i've improved my score.

my yellow triangle i painted is the size of one of the white dots in the picture example above. this small dot of bright color gives me a very repeatable, quickly seen, reference point.

rldsc.JPG

screlld.JPG

Edited by rowdyb