Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

smaller diameter MPX handguard

I am looking for a smaller diameter 14" handguard for my Gen2 MPX that is NOT carbon fiber. The stock one adds SO much weight over my old blowback pcc.

I really can't afford a CF handguard and have been looking around a lot on the ol interweb and cant seem to find anyone who sells one.

Do any of you here know of a company that sells a smaller diameter handguard?

The new competition MPX has a smaller diameter HG, don't know it's weight. A new take-off sold on the EE recently, I just missed it. I thought about having some holes drilled and the top rail milled off my Gen 2 to lighten it up. The only after market HGs I've seen are the Isler ($$), Lancer ($$), both carbon fiber, and the Midwest Industries aluminum Mlok. Didn't look like the MI saved much on weight, just offered Mlok in place of Keymod.

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

The new competition MPX has a smaller diameter HG, don't know it's weight. A new take-off sold on the EE recently, I just missed it. I thought about having some holes drilled and the top rail milled off my Gen 2 to lighten it up. The only after market HGs I've seen are the Isler ($$), Lancer ($$), both carbon fiber, and the Midwest Industries aluminum Mlok. Didn't look like the MI saved much on weight, just offered Mlok in place of Keymod.

EE?

25 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Sounds like you want smaller and lighter. Save up and do the cry once buy once and get the carbon fiber

might be getting to that spot.

I find it hard to believe that with as many shooters using the mpx that there is not an option that does not include CF.

If someone with a new PCC MPX could weigh and measure OAL of the new style handguard, that would be awesome. I'll do the same for my Gen 2, and we can compare, see if getting the new one is worth it. 

Agree, a $75-$100 lightweight aluminum handguard would be perfect.

Edited by OPENB
Just now, OPENB said:

If someone with a new PCC MPX could weigh and measure OAL of the new style handguard, that would be awesome. I'll do the same for my Gen 2, and we can compare, see if getting the new one is worth it. 

Oh how I would be all over one in that price range

I think the C/F offerings going for the MPX is over priced. I know C/F is expensive but they don't even look good. I would shave/machine the one you have, or do you know a good welder ?  It could not be any worse than what is on the market at this time.

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

If someone with a new PCC MPX could weigh and measure OAL of the new style handguard, that would be awesome.

Measuring from the lower half of the muzzle end:

To the far end of the hand guard is 15.75 inches

To the point where the top of the receiver ends is 12.125 inches

I don't have a scale, but in a other thread I saw the weight listed as 11.2 ounces

Measuring from the lower half of the muzzle end:

To the far end of the hand guard is 15.75 inches

To the point where the top of the receiver ends is 12.125 inches

I don't have a scale, but in a other thread I saw the weight listed as 11.2 ounces
What is the OAL diameter?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mstamper said:

What is the OAL diameter?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I.D. is 1.95 x 1.4

O.D. is 2.2 x 1.6 (not including the height of the short section of rail at the muzzle end)

ETA: that o.d. was from the bottom of the muzzle end which has a short protrusion.  O.D. not including the section of rail or the protrusion is right at 2 inches

Edited by biggulp
Added info

I snagged the PCC takeoff on here last week and am super happy with it. I had the Taccom CF tube and it was nice but the oval shape of the PCC one just fits better IMO.

i really like how close the HG sits to the bottom of the barrel. Weight distribution feels good too. Cuts provide some really nice texture to sink your hand flesh into.

7B452AAC-4F7F-4286-B7B4-5DE0BB9FE4E1.jpeg

Because the number of people using MPX for PCC/USPSA competition is the world's tiniest market share and there are already options out there. Midwest Industries made one, but it's for the tacti-cool crown that want to hang lights and helicopter landing pads on their 4.5" K model.

First of all, make sure you actually NEED a 14"+ HG. While I run them on my AR's, I find I don't put my hand out as far on my MPXs and nothing goes out front/sight distance doesn't matter. That might save you some coin. I went from a 14" Lancer to a 10" Isler and I still use the 10" w/ a 16" barrel. Also look for deals on the lancer. Gun pro deals/other generic dealers online often have MUCH better prices than you'd expect. 

On 2/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, OPENB said:

The new HG on my MPX carbine is 11.2 OZ 

• 5 months later...