Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a 5lb striker spring be 100% reliable?

LeviSS

I shot my Gen5 34 all last year bone stock, except for a Jager guide rod and 15lb ISMI recoil spring.

This off season, I started messing around and put a polished (-) connector that I had in it.  It helped make it a hair smoother.  Then I put a reduced power plunger spring and 5lb striker spring in it.

I really like the way it feels now, but I'm questioning whether or not I should just go back to stock.  I want 100% reliability.  I use CCI primers and have had no light strikes in stock configuration.

I know a lot of people run 4.5lb striker springs with good luck, so I think it should be fine.  If it weren't so cold, I'd just go run a bunch through it and see what happens.

What do you guys think?

I didn't have any issues with a 4.5 until I swapped out the stock striker for the Jager striker. I think my experience is an exception though, because my Jager striker broke after a few thousand rounds. 

2 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I shot my Gen5 34 all last year bone stock, except for a Jager guide rod and 15lb ISMI recoil spring.

This off season, I started messing around and put a polished (-) connector that I had in it.  It helped make it a hair smoother.  Then I put a reduced power plunger spring and 5lb striker spring in it.

I really like the way it feels now, but I'm questioning whether or not I should just go back to stock.  I want 100% reliability.  I use CCI primers and have had no light strikes in stock configuration.

I know a lot of people run 4.5lb striker springs with good luck, so I think it should be fine.  If it weren't so cold, I'd just go run a bunch through it and see what happens.

What do you guys think?

With the newer (less than 5 yrs old) CCI primers, you're fine.  It depends how your trigger is set up, also.  However, if you're using 4.5lb with CCI, you should be pretty well inside the safe zone of reliability.

Edited by blueorison

5lb will work just fine with pretty much every type of primer in my experience. The other thing I used to do was clip a coil or two off a stock striker spring. Doing that lightened the trigger pull a bit and proved to be very reliable with a variety of primers, including some considered to be on the harder side.

30 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

If you go with a lightened striker you can go lighter on the spring and keep reliability.

FWIW, I picked up one of these in anticipation of receiving my G34.5 won at my local GSSF match.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-gen-5-small-frame-tin-skeletonized-striker

I’ve not tried it yet, but it’s the lowest cost extended tip striker I found and it carries a lifetime warranty against breakage. Seems to be of decent build quality. I’ll be trying it in a range-only gun.

18 hours ago, MiWiAu said:

FWIW, I picked up one of these in anticipation of receiving my G34.5 won at my local GSSF match.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-gen-5-small-frame-tin-skeletonized-striker

I’ve not tried it yet, but it’s the lowest cost extended tip striker I found and it carries a lifetime warranty against breakage. Seems to be of decent build quality. I’ll be trying it in a range-only gun.

I've had good luck with ZEV's on both my G 34's.  But there are several brands out there with good reviews.

I've not heard of Shieldarms but it looks good.

I've run a 4.5# for 2 years in my 34. No issues at all. 

Running a 12# Wolff spring. 131-138 PF. Not to hijack, but I went from factory 17# straight to the 12#. Is there reason to use a mid weight (14-15#) if the 12 is reliable? 

17 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

Running a 12# Wolff spring. 131-138 PF. Not to hijack, but I went from factory 17# straight to the 12#. Is there reason to use a mid weight (14-15#) if the 12 is reliable? 

Not if you like the way the gun shoots and the way the sights track. 

I prefer a 15.. because I like the way the dot tracks. Also, I tend to prefer a little heavier spring than most people, in all my  pistols. Just a preference thing. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:19 PM, Slalom45 said:

I've settled on a 13#, played with heavier just didn't like them as they caused the sight to dip for me.

As long as it is 100% reliable It's all personal preference.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:53 AM, dapribek said:

I’ve been running a 4.5 striker spring forever and the only trouble I’ve ever had was with Fiochi  primers which I was told  were very hard. Everything else runs great, I think you’ll be fine. 

The older Fiocchi primers in the all black box were harder than the newer ones in the red box. The red box fioochi primers are as soft or softer than winchester in my experience.