Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Shooters - Full Length Slide vs Commander/Carry Length

Xfactor

CO Division - Full Length Slide or Commander/Carry Length Slide?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. CO Division - Full Length Slide or Commander/Carry Length Slide?

• Full-Length Slide
    • Commander/Carry-Length Slide

I'm thinking about getting into CO Division, and am curious on what's been working best for people in terms of slide length.  As a long time Master in Open and Limited, I'm very familiar with the two primary benefits of a longer slide in other those divisions....longer sight radius (for iron sights), and more muzzle velocity with a longer barrel (advantage for making major PF).  But for a minor gun with a red dot, neither of these are really a factor.

It could also be argued that, at least to some extent, a longer slide provides more static weight in the dust cover to mitigate muzzle movement in recoil... but this is offset somewhat by also having more reciprocating mass in the longer slide, as well as more heft to slow down transitions.  So many variables to consider here, that it's probably best to leave this factor out.

So what do the CO shooters among us prefer, and why?  Full length slide, or commander/carry length slide?

FWIW

Every gun I've played with in CO has been between 41/4 and 51/4 poly and metal framed guns.

Once I got the gun running smoothly and the right load /spring set up I split them all the same shooting A's

Don't really think it matters. 

Unless of course it matters to your mind.

But for me on the clock, taking the opinion out, it didn't

To me, longer is always more better. I think sight radius is the major factor. On the mass of the slide and recoil; the slide moves in both directions so it kinda negates any muzzle rise because of the extra weight of the slide. Key word there is "kinda".

19 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Every gun I've played with in CO has been between 41/4 and 51/4 poly and metal framed guns.

Once I got the gun running smoothly and the right load /spring set up I split them all the same shooting A's

Don't really think it matters...

Thanks - that's what I suspected.

50 minutes ago, BeltFed said:

To me, longer is always more better. I think sight radius is the major factor. On the mass of the slide and recoil; the slide moves in both directions so it kinda negates any muzzle rise because of the extra weight of the slide. Key word there is "kinda".

Right, but since sight radius is not relevant with a red dot, that's not really a factor in CO.  Again, so many factors involved in slide motion and muzzle rise that it's hard to isolate any one characteristic and attribute better performance to it... so just curious about general impressions and any actual results with full size vs commander/carry length.

Edited by Xfactor