Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot advice needed..

TK66

I'm looking for some feedback regarding a Red Dot.   I'm considering getting a Glock 19 gen 5 mos to carry and keep in my trucks.   I'd like a sight that is rugged,  has auto on/off 

, batteries that last a while. 

Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks,

TK

The two most important things is battery life and ruggedness.  I'm not really using this as a range gun. Pretty much a utility gun,  not having to worry if the battery is still good every couple weeks and having to be super careful putting it in my glove box, back pack etc..

FWIW both my DPP's and a couple of old DP's all go to sleep, so to speak, and wake up/dot comes on when they're moved.

Use one on a nightstand gun and check it each night.

Battery on that one is over a year old, guess it's time to change it, just cause!

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

Ruggedness? RMR. Battery life? RMR. Put a battery in it and set it to your desired brightness setting and don't change it until you think about it in 12 months. 

Or just set a reminder on your smart phone or calendar to change the battery annually.

6 hours ago, dapribek said:

Recommend Leupold Delta Point Pro. Perfect sight, but does not have auto on. If this is a deal breaker, you’ll have to find a different  red dot. Good luck!

The DPP will turn off after 5 minutes (I'm not positive on that number but it's not much longer) and will automatically turn back on at any movement, UNLESS it is "turned off" at that point it will not come back on without hitting the off/on adjustment button.

I have one on my G34 MOS and leave it on all of the time sitting either in a drawer on by the couch, so I can handle it while watching TV.  It's been in there for almost 9 months and is still working good with no issues.

The only thing I don't like is it has no auto adjustment for brightness.  

The Vortex Venom has the option for both, and I tried it on a 627 (same scenario as the DPP) but the original battery failed after 6 months.  Been turning it off now, may have to try it again to see if the original battery or the unit was the issue.

The J Point has both, is lighter but the lens is plastic (scratched mine up a bit) and the battery connections just aren't as solid as the others.  The battery doesn't last much longer than 6 months.

The DPP and the J Point can  be made to work with the same adapter.

Thanks guys for the replies!  After surfing the interweb the RMR 06 type 2 looks like it fits my needs.  I'm running Vortex Venoms on 2 of my carry optics guns but honestly don't think they would hold up well getting banged around much.  The DPP has some nice features but the RMR really looks like it can handle anything. 

1 hour ago, blueorison said:

Dont be mad, Ming.  I dont have an iPhone.

LOL! means Laugh Out Loud, it does not mean Livid Over Losers, so nobody is mad.  The point was you already own something more expensive than a brand name red dot sight that was 'made in China' whether it is your phone, TV, etc...  There are plenty of shoddy products made in every country of the world, just as there are plenty of high quality products made in those same countries, well except maybe North Korea.  LOL! 

I've got a bunch of various brands of red dot sights, C-Mores, Vortex, Leupold, Holosun.  All have their quirks, strengths and weaknesses.  Reliability has been pretty uniform for all of them.

You Guys🤣,

I was just looking for a good spot to put a plug in for my Red Dot maker when i stumbled on your thread.

I have one from IJK Sales in Arizona, after 10 years he replaced it free ($20 fee).

Not as expensive, made in Europe.

Maybe this is the place for a atta  boy, maybe not.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:45 PM, pskys2 said:

The DPP and the J Point can  be made to work with the same adapter.

Not to side track the discussion, but.

I've heard that before, I have two different plate systems for DPP,  the Unity adapter and Henning in-dovetail plate, and I can't mount my J point on them. 

4 hours ago, YVK said:

Not to side track the discussion, but.

I've heard that before, I have two different plate systems for DPP,  the Unity adapter and Henning in-dovetail plate, and I can't mount my J point on them. 

May be I have both a DPP and a J Point, both fit the Glock Adapter plate of my MOS and the J Point Adapter for my S&W N Frame.

I'd have to use different screws for the J Point Adapter and the DPP though.  They are slightly different but the position of the mounting screws are the same even though the screws are different and both have holes for the adapter guides at each corner.  May be other adapters are different.

The J Point sight I have has the battery under the sight and the lens is plastic, it's very low profile.

The problem with "auto-off/auto-on" for a truck gun is that the vehicle motion during driving will trigger the auto-on feature. The gun has to be absolutely stationary for the auto-off to stay off.

+1 on the DPP.  The batteries are common, cheap and very easy to change.   

Thanks all for the feedback!  After seeing some very abusive testing, the RMR seems to take almost everything thrown at it.  I know you have to remove the sight to change the battery but if it only needs to be done once a year I can live with that.  I don't think I'm a operator going in country on tactical missions. Just a guy that doesn't want to worry about babying a electronic sight in everyday carry.. lol

I ended up buying a Glock 45.  I'll be having Jagerwerks mill the slide for the RMR.

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate the opinions.

TK