Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APA new answer muzzle brake

Blaster

So I shot my first 3 gun match using this new tunable brake on Saturday. wow no recoil double taps on paper targets holes were 1inch apart Steel needing 2 hits at 50yds just pull the trigger twice.when I first got the brake I called APA to see the best way to tune it, they said just tune the regular way you shoot it,well after going thru a lot of ammo I found out the best way to tune it was 100yds  bipod and sock scope power all the way up. Its expensive but really works

On 2/19/2019 at 10:27 AM, Blaster said:

So I shot my first 3 gun match using this new tunable brake on Saturday. wow no recoil double taps on paper targets holes were 1inch apart Steel needing 2 hits at 50yds just pull the trigger twice.when I first got the brake I called APA to see the best way to tune it, they said just tune the regular way you shoot it,well after going thru a lot of ammo I found out the best way to tune it was 100yds  bipod and sock scope power all the way up. Its expensive but really works

Thanks for posting this!  I own their LB brake and really appreciate the way it interfaces; it's a no brainer vs all the other crushwasher/etc. systems.

I'm want to test this vs my fave brake once it is tuned.

Now I need to find two identical uppers...

I have one and really like it.  Easy to set up, tune and keeps my rifle flat.  It is a little on the pricey side but its the most effective break ive tested and it will be the one i'm using this year.  some of the guys i shoot with also liked it so much they bought their own.    

8 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

I have one and really like it.  Easy to set up, tune and keeps my rifle flat.  It is a little on the pricey side but its the most effective break ive tested and it will be the one i'm using this year.  some of the guys i shoot with also liked it so much they bought their own.    

Could you find out what the sjc users think about it, pretty please?

Edited by blueorison

I picked up two of these a while back while they had a sale going on, can’t wait to get my new builds finished up so I can install these. I did a ton of research and feel that this brake is going to be very effective.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, clw42 said:

Are you folks that have this brake still liking it?  I'm on the fence, but definitely leaning towards getting one. 

I still have mine on and it’s not coming off.  I’m really liking it.  Several guys I shoot with have also purchased them and they are sticking with it.  

10 hours ago, Pcew73 said:

I still have mine on and it’s not coming off.  I’m really liking it.  Several guys I shoot with have also purchased them and they are sticking with it.  

Excellent, thanks! 

47 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Have you personally compared it to other comps ?

I have compared it to the Coda Evolution, Rolling Thunder, and UM Tactical Rage.  After I played with the settings I settled on having all of the screws in on the left side and all of them out on the right.  The comp has made recoil minimal and my dot does not move much at all.  I am not sure you can completely eliminate muzzle movement after a shot but this does a great job of minimizing it.  I also like that its easy to take off and put on.  When I first got it, I took it off and put it on multiple guns due to shooters wanting to try it on theirs.  No need for crush washers or lock washers.  

It is on the pricey side compared to others, but I have been really happy with mine.  Its all personal preference though.

Erik     

Okay, so I bought one.  I guess we'll see if it's worth the money.  I've only got a couple others to compare it to and they're cheapies.  A Stag Arms 3 gun brake and a Radical Firearms Nada.  I think I'm into both for less than $50. 

Honestly, I'm doubtful that I'll see a $100+ improvement but it will be fun to find out.

35 minutes ago, nheiny13 said:

I recently got one and tuned it. It works really really well with minimal movement just as everyone else describes. I had an M4-72 on the rifle before and I'll definitely be keeping the Answer

Im awaiting feedback from an sjc user...

7 hours ago, blueorison said:

Im awaiting feedback from an sjc user...

I have an SJC as well but it's not an apples to apples comparison since it is on an 18" rifle length while the Answer is on a 16" intermediate length. I think they both perform similarly but the Answer is much lighter

1 hour ago, nheiny13 said:

I have an SJC as well but it's not an apples to apples comparison since it is on an 18" rifle length while the Answer is on a 16" intermediate length. I think they both perform similarly but the Answer is much lighter

Thank you for this input. Ive always used sjc's; I got an APA LB a while back and was very impressed; I then noticed their baffle designs were akin to that of sjc's... I have not seen that design anywhere else on any other brake. I found that the sjc apples to apples shot softer than the LB. However, with lightweight parts in my AR and a midlength gas, some snappier is to be expected vs another heavier build. Further/more importantly, less movement far outweights softness of felt recoil. Ill be trying out this brake when I get a chance.

Edited by blueorison

6 hours ago, blueorison said:

Thoughts?

Looks good.  Easy to install.  Haven't shot with it yet though.  I'm waiting for an adjustable gas block to arrive so I can install that first.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Monday.  Friggin USPS seems to want to send it to every one of their hubs between my house and Kansas.