Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stronger striker spring?

Dannybot

I have occasional ftf’s with the factory striker assembly on my M&P’s.  Is there a sronger striker spring available?  Wolff only sems to make reduced power springs.  I have ftf’s with my handloads using CCI primers and factory ammo as well.  I have about 10,000 CCI’s left.  I intend to switch to WSP’s when I exhaust my CCI’s.

9 hours ago, ParaOrdnanceLarry said:

On the advice of a  gunsmith I have always substituted a standard glock striker spring (don’t know the weight) with total reliability. I assume it’s slightly heavier than the standard M&P spring. 

Thanks! I will try one.

21 minutes ago, bigfish said:

I did try an extra power Glock striker spring in mine and it worked fine for about 2 months and then the striker broke.  When back to the original.  Bad striker or too strong of spring? Not sure what caused it

Which part of the striker broke?

No issues with thousands of cycles on my striker, Wolff extra power striker spring.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Wolff springs today.  I have not installed yet, but the package says not to use with reduced power recoil springs.  Is this an issue?  I swap back and forth with the factory spring and a 12 lb spring.

17 minutes ago, Dannybot said:

I got the Wolff springs today.  I have not installed yet, but the package says not to use with reduced power recoil springs.  Is this an issue?  I swap back and forth with the factory spring and a 12 lb spring.

The recoil spring and striker spring play tug of war with the slide and it may have issues staying in battery.

Prove it to yourself? Rack the slide a few times then notice how easy it is to tug 1/2” out of battery. Dryfire the gun and try it again. Without the striker spring’s pressure working backward on the slide, it stays much more firmly in place.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 3/3/2019 at 1:24 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

The recoil spring and striker spring play tug of war with the slide and it may have issues staying in battery.

Prove it to yourself? Rack the slide a few times then notice how easy it is to tug 1/2” out of battery. Dryfire the gun and try it again. Without the striker spring’s pressure working backward on the slide, it stays much more firmly in place.

Yep.  It did not reliably go into battery with the reduced power recoil spring.  I test fired it today, but not really enough to know how much more reliable it is.  Plan on shooting a match next week though.

I had an M&P for less than a year. Very finicky as far as springs go. Firing out of battery, FTF, etc. A top M&P smith said to leave them stock if you want less problems. Switched to a Glock and you can run damn near any spring combo within reason and they stay pretty much 100% reliable. 

On 3/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, Sarge said:

I had an M&P for less than a year. Very finicky as far as springs go. Firing out of battery, FTF, etc. A top M&P smith said to leave them stock if you want less problems. Switched to a Glock and you can run damn near any spring combo within reason and they stay pretty much 100% reliable. 

Surprising. I own several M&Ps of varying vintages for competition use with recoil springs as light at 11lbs. All have the factory striker springs, and none have given me any such problems. No FTF. No pulling of the slide out of battery. Just dead-nuts reliability. And they points where I aim them (unlike a Glock) :roflol:

OP: If you are having light strikes, I suggest you check your reloads for high primers. If the gun runs with factory ammo then the problem is your reloads, not the gun.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have had FTF’s with factory ammo too.  Yes there was a time when I had an issue with high primers, but think it’s resolved.

I shot a match today with no failures.  The new striker spring seems to take out some of the mush from the factory trigger.

so for the record: 200 rounds in testing/training with a single FTF, one match ~135 rounds with zero FTF’s.

Wow I have never had an issue with any of my MPs (have 5) with various apex part combos.    Have you checked the striker spring seat to make sure its sitting flush and level?  What about the firing pin protrusion maybe at the shorter end of tolerance.  Sorry do not have the spec in front of me.

Is this something you guys are seeing only with one gen or both?

I do not like to shoot tula but the few times I did they were all fine and I think that is the hardest primer cups.  Certainly harder than my old proddution Wolf primers I thankfully still have tons of in all sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have got to think there are some tolerance issues going on as too many people running the same ammo and spring combos some no issues ever others all sorts of sporadic issues.

Glad the spring seems to have taken care of your issues.