Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Noob question

fastlane604

On 2/18/2019 at 6:20 PM, fastlane604 said:

I am new to Glocks.  I am not new to handguns.  I have a CZ 75 Shadow SA, an SP-01 that I converted to SAO and two P-10Cs. I have owned 1911s and M&Ps.  I just bought a Glock 34 Gen 5. When I pull the trigger on a snap cap I cannot rack the slide.  To unlock the gun,  I must release the slide, take it off the frame and move the tab on the striker to the rear.  Only then will the barrel release. If I have not pulled the trigger, the slide racks like normal and the round ejects.  Is this normal for a Glock?  All my other guns will let me rack a snap cap after I have pulled the trigger.  I have switched out the OEM striker spring for a Wolff 4.5 lb striker spring.  Would that cause the problem?  I have lighter striker springs on both my P-10Cs and they still rack a snap cap after a pulled trigger.  

No, that shouldn't cause the problem.

I've never seen this happen, but then again, I don't use snap caps (I do own them). I have seen a Glock's breech face (in person) be damaged from excessive (tens of thousands) dryfire; Glock took care of the issue. But I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. 

17 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Customize, customize, customize and you keep running into reliability problems. 99% of problems I see at local USPSA matches are due to shooter modifications. 

Stock parts, factory ammo, stock snap caps and NO problems or at least rare. Off the shelf snap caps don’t cost very much either.

If people didn’t continuously tweak things there would be fewer problems and then this Forum might even go out of business. And the aftermarket folks, too.

Call me the Grinch that tried to kill the aftermarket tweaking business. 

Paul, get up a little grumpy today?😉

22 minutes ago, blueorison said:

Haha, regardless of his mood, most of us know that he has a solid point. I make bets on all the tactical dudes who show up with everything modified on their glocks. I win said bets. 

1911s don’t work until you f**k with them extensively.

Glocks work until you f**k with them extensively.