Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone using the 3 plastic trays for separating brass

JDIllon

How does the 380 plate work and is it worth the extra step? I thought they were the same diameter as 9. I hate when one slips by but find it when sizing 99% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got mine and I love them!!!!! The 380 work great, I use it twice in my process. Once when I separate the brass. And when again as my final check after cleaning, to get any extra media out and a final check to get any 380s that may have got thru. If you don't do as many pieces at a time it really works better. Buy doing this, I havn't had one 380 get thru in the last 1000 rnds.  JD

Note: I spaced the 45 and the 40 with 2" wood blocks so there is more space between them and they work really great!!

Edited by JDIllon

On 2/19/2019 at 7:32 AM, RePete said:

I used one for 2 years and ended up giving it away.

I could sort everything quicker by han.

The problem was 380 fit 9mm, 9 fits 40 and 40 fits 45.  You still have to sort through it again.  

IMO it's waste of coin.

Are you sure you don't have them in the wrong order, LOL. 

45 brass can't fit trough the 40 or 9 mm tray. It gets trapped in the 45 tray

40 brass goes through the 45 but can't fit through the 40 tray.  It gets trapped  in the 40 tray

You get the idea for 9 mm

Sounds like a User error

I use these and they work perfectly.  It is (almost) idiot proof

Most of the time I have found that with all of the shaking that goes on with the 4 sets of trays, this does not happen very much any more. Most of them shake out. Keep in mind I can only speak for myself, but I don't get that many 40s in that tray, so if you see a 9 that is stuck. You just take it out or leave it and don't worry about it because I am not loading 40s. The best part for me is that I have stopped almost all 380s in the 9s. HA!WOO!   I am only loading 9s, so I sort all of my brass first and then just clean the 9s. But after I clean the 9s I shake out all of the media. I throw batches of 9s that have been cleaned into the 380 tray and give it a final shake to get out any 380s that I may have missed and get out any little bits of media that may have been left.  Works for ME!  JD

Note: it really helped a lot when I separated the 45 and 40 and 9 by putting 2" blocks between them. When I get a chance, I will shoot some pictures of my set up.

I run the brass thru the 45-40 to the black 9mm tray, then dump what ever is in the 9mm tray into the 380 bucket which is inside a 5 gal pal 

Note: the 380 bucket is a 5 gal pal cut in half and the bottom replaced with the 380 plate. That is the floor that you see thru the 380 plate!! not the bottom of the pale.

P1010276.JPG

P1010278.JPG

P1010279.JPG

P1010277.JPG

Edited by JDIllon

I've had my shellsorter.com set for years.  I picked up the .380 plate last year.  They work quite well.  I pick up a lot of extra range brass.  I don't sort brass till I have a five gallon bucket full.  Using the trays I can sort a five gallon bucket in under 1/2 hour.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2019 at 8:24 PM, JDIllon said:

Most of the time I have found that with all of the shaking that goes on with the 4 sets of trays, this does not happen very much any more. Most of them shake out. Keep in mind I can only speak for myself, but I don't get that many 40s in that tray, so if you see a 9 that is stuck. You just take it out or leave it and don't worry about it because I am not loading 40s. The best part for me is that I have stopped almost all 380s in the 9s. HA!WOO!   I am only loading 9s, so I sort all of my brass first and then just clean the 9s. But after I clean the 9s I shake out all of the media. I throw batches of 9s that have been cleaned into the 380 tray and give it a final shake to get out any 380s that I may have missed and get out any little bits of media that may have been left.  Works for ME!  JD

Note: it really helped a lot when I separated the 45 and 40 and 9 by putting 2" blocks between them. When I get a chance, I will shoot some pictures of my set up.

I run the brass thru the 45-40 to the black 9mm tray, then dump what ever is in the 9mm tray into the 380 bucket which is inside a 5 gal pal 

Note: the 380 bucket is a 5 gal pal cut in half and the bottom replaced with the 380 plate. That is the floor that you see thru the 380 plate!! not the bottom of the pale.

P1010276.JPG

Thank you for posting this:  I have had these sorters for years and love them... but never thought of permanent spacers...

I use a 5 gal bucket on top of an old vibratory tumbler, and it works great, but I can definitely see spacers making this a much faster/easier process.

• 1 year later...

Yep - And as stated above attach that bottom bucket to a Frankfort Arsenal Vibrating Tumbler - cost is about $50.00 (remove the tub that is currently on the unit and drill a hole in the center of the bucket bottom) and you will not have to hand shake anything....I just finished sorting over 25 gallons of mixed brass using this method and it worked great - And it was FAST.....I cut the tops off of three buckets to create my spacers between each sorting tray and then cut the bottom out of a 3 gallon bucket for the 380 tray (like others have shown here)....