Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone using the 3 plastic trays for separating brass

JDIllon

I am very happy with them. They work very well once you perfect the technique. I understand the 380 plate works fine but I hand sort for headstamp so I find them by hand while doing 9mm so I don't use the plate.

They’re the best affordable option for brass sorting and they work well.

I try to only sort brass one painful weekend per year and I take the bowl off a big vibe tumbler and mount a 5 gal bucket to it and it’ll sort 30 gallons of brass pretty quick and easy but it’s dusty and requires respirator.

2 hours ago, BiteTheBullet said:

I have not used the plate but I take a 40 S&W 100 round cartridge case and dump my mixed 9 mm and 380 in it then pull out the short ones which are 380.

I do do exactly the same thing with a 50 round plastic cartridge case.  I use a small needle nose pliers and pick the evil .380’s out as they are very easy to see but hard to remove with fat fingers.  The rest get dumped into the 9mm bucket.  I can also see into each case and pick out the stepped brass.  And you can get a pretty close count of the amount of empties added to the bucket as every tray has right at 50 cases.  

I average 4-5 of the 380’s in every hundred from the 9 mm tray which is just enough to break the rythum when we get to the 550.

3 hours ago, BiteTheBullet said:

I also use the Cabela's Rotary Brass/Media Separator I find it faster than the 3 trays

Does this actually sort case type or are you just talking about separating the media?  If it’s a shorter, please share link

I used one for 2 years and ended up giving it away.

I could sort everything quicker by han.

The problem was 380 fit 9mm, 9 fits 40 and 40 fits 45.  You still have to sort through it again.  

IMO it's waste of coin.

Edited by RePete

Funny how experiences range both ways.  I have been very pleased with mine. Much, much, faster than doing by hand.  I use a old media vibrating tumbler on mine.  But for my next sorting session, I will be adding spacers and fixing the 380 plate to the bottom of the black tray.  Like this.

40 minutes ago, RePete said:

I used one for 2 years and ended up giving it away.

I could sort everything quicker by han.

The problem was 380 fit 9mm, 9 fits 40 and 40 fits 45.  You still have to sort through it again.  

IMO it's waste of coin.

Completely disagree. My experience has been totally flawless and the system works great.

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Completely disagree. My experience has been totally flawless and the system works great.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me.. 

It works for you but didn't for me.

Each to his own opinion.

found that smaller amounts at a time in each tray works better especially the .380 tray.

got an extra yellow (.45 ) pan to fasten the .380 plate in , removed the middle grades and ground down

the diameter of the plate .   

Thanks to all of you that have responded!! As usual great info on the forum. And thanks for the video GregJ, that was great!! Note: I did check Cabela's website on the media/cal. sorter, and it says that it does both. Based on most of the comments here, I have ordered the 3 pcs set and the 380 plate, it seems that most of you are pretty happy with that setup and it is just a case of working out what works best for you. In any case it seems to be better than hand sorting. Which is a total pain, and I still end up with lots of 380s, old eye's. Thanks again for all of the feed back!!!  JD

I have the outfit, it works fine.  Still need a magnet for steel cases and eyeball for aluminum, Berdan, and .45 Small. 

Berry's has a rotary media separator that also has adjustable slot width to sort brass.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/rotary-brass-sorter

Looks good but it only makes one cut at a time; video shows .45 retained, all other sizes and media passing. 

43 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Why would we expect you to have a problem with someone having a contrasting experience? 

All good.

👍

Some people would have a problem when you disagree with them.  I ain't one of them.  Seen it too often.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I wish they sold just the 9mm tray and 380 plate.

The 380 plate alone was worth the price paid, however. 

This site sells them individually. https://dawsonprecision.com/shell-sorter-set-for-9mm-40s-w-45acp/

also the Shell Sorter site sells them for $14.00 each plus shipping. https://www.shellsorter.com/products/shell-sorter?variant=51408502789

And there site is less than Amazon for all of the pcs including the 380 plate.  JD

Edited by JDIllon