Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor - Need your insights

Norone

I was going the math and 5.0 is a few tenths more than expected. I use 3.2 with a 200 gr blue and make about 133pf. 

so 3.2/.75=4.26 gr and you will need a bit more of jhp vs moly. Not sure what your oal is, I run about 1.135 and shooting from a g35.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 40 minor load, to be completely honest I’ve never chrono’d it (guessing 130pf) because I just use it for local steel matches where no power factor is needed, but it’s money.... shooting out of a Brazo’s 2011 and an Edge. The round just barely cycles the slide, super super soft. 

3.0gr of Clays 

180gr BBI

(Have to drop from a 12.5# recoil spring to 10#)

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I used to reload without a chrono   ….   was astounded at some of the

velocities I had been reloading for many years once I did buy a chrono.

Very inexpensive insurance.    :) 

Oh I have a chrono, saved me a few times prepping new loads or confirming minor changes loads before majors. Wouldn’t load without one.

I agree very inexpensive insurance if your roll you own ammo!!

12 hours ago, jbultman said:

I love my 40 minor load, to be completely honest I’ve never chrono’d it (guessing 130pf) because I just use it for local steel matches where no power factor is needed, but it’s money.... shooting out of a Brazo’s 2011 and an Edge. The round just barely cycles the slide, super super soft. 

3.0gr of Clays 

180gr BBI

(Have to drop from a 12.5# recoil spring to 10#)

nice soft load. This use to be my go to load when I started shooting production with  a glock 35. I was using the Aussie clays though. I think I made 134 PF with this load. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 6:37 AM, bulm540 said:

nice soft load. This use to be my go to load when I started shooting production with  a glock 35. I was using the Aussie clays though. I think I made 134 PF with this load. 

Some of you have mentioned "Aussie Clays". That's what I have. "Made in Australia. Packaged in USA."

Is there a different source for Clays powder now?

And how is it different?

31 minutes ago, sierra77mk said:

Some of you have mentioned "Aussie Clays". That's what I have. "Made in Australia. Packaged in USA."

Is there a different source for Clays powder now?

And how is it different?

as far as I know the newer clays are supposedly sourced from Canada.  The  factory that produced the Aussie Clays  burned down years ago if my memory serves me right. I haven't used clays for a long time so I am not sure,  Aussie clays were more "energetic" from what I understand. 

Edited by bulm540

When I was setting up my press I didn’t get my scale calibrated correctly, the result was some of the most glorious, softest shooting .40 ever.

3.6gr WST

180gr DG bullet

1.185 OAL

725 FPS

130.5 PF

I was extremely disappointed when I learned why it was so soft.... lol

Edited by Rosswoodford
Typo