Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription for Carry Optics

Joe4d

Getting that time,  getting back into shooting and having vision issues, basic front sight blurry or target blurry. Read throught he FAQ's cant find what I am looking for.

I have several pairs of Wiley X's so going insert route at first.. Heading to eye doctor this week.
Going with  solid lense right eye ( dominant) all focused on front sight. Left lense will be all distance for irons as many threads suggest that.
But what about for a reddot gun ? All distance in both eyes ? polarized or not ?

You focus on the target only when shooting with a dot so you’ll want your dominant eye to be in focus at target distances. (Target focus)

Not sure about polarization (I use non-polarized) but polarized lenses make scoring tablets difficult if not impossible to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blurry front sight is why I switched to Carry Optics. I wear contacts and I have them set up as mono vision. Right eye is for distance and my left eye is set up for reading. For iron sights the front sight is still blurry (although not as bad) but my dot is pretty sharp. I shoot with both eyes open and that helps me.

Will your Optometrist let you bring your dot in to hold up and try?

I'm near sighted a bit, still manage 20/20 on dumb wall charts for my med card.

Distance script for CO, dot's very sharp that way, not so without, polarized doesn't matter. Some polarized lenses, have issues with some tablets when scoring.

Why would you do this?

I wanted to know what affect mono vision would have. When setting the prescription for the left eye (near vision) I could choose what distance the focus would be sharpest. Examples would be focus for left could be set where I hold a book to read or how far my computers monitors are, and in my case how far the dot is from my eye. For me the best all around distance for my near vision eye was the distance to my dot.

19 minutes ago, RAP said:

For me the best all around distance for my near vision eye was the distance to my dot.

Ah... so you made your non-dominate eye focus at a mid range.  Sounds like a good idea... did this setup work for you? 

I can't easily read scoring tablets without changing to reading glasses and I don't need any correction for distance.  In fact, my main issue is/was intermittently focusing on the dot like it was a front sight instead of target focusing. 

So far it’s working very well for me. I just had my annual eye exam last month and we made no changes in my prescription from the previous year. I’m in my early 50’s and I am thankful my eyes have stabilized not getting worse.

You touched on a big challenge I had when I switched to CO. Learning to focus on the target not the dot. This alone made a big difference in my shooting.

Hello: I would get your glasses made for target focus. With a dot you want the target in focus and bring the dot to the target. Shoot with both eyes open. A little test you can do to train your eyes to work is tape off the front of the glass on your dot. Shoot the targets and with both eyes open so you can see the dot and the target. Thanks, Eric

I'm nearsighted, and since I shoot Open and Limited, I went with Monovision with my dominate eye corrected for front sight distance (which turned out identical to my computer glasses) and my non-dominate eye corrected for distance vision.  It has worked very well for over a decade, for both Limited and Open, plus I don't have to dink around changing glasses to use the scoring tablet.  When I have my vision exams, I bring in a C-More with an assortment of various size dot modules and use them correcting my astigmatism.  None of the dots are round, but when we're finished they are better than the figure 8's, coma's or ampersands they were the first time.

Joe, I don't think you are going to be happy with that plan.  I tried that and my right eye got sore from trying to focus.  I ordered a pair of stick on diopters, the kind that turn your regular glasses into bifocals.  I put on one upside down at the top of my right lens.  I also use a FO front sight and shot with both eyes open.  When firing at a target I lowered my head a little to see through the diopter.  Shoot, then lift your head so you can see where you are going.  It really works.

Another reason not to go with one far and one near is you have no depth perception.  That is not a good thing if you are running around USPSA COFs.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Joe, I don't think you are going to be happy with that plan.  I tried that and my right eye got sore from trying to focus.  I ordered a pair of stick on diopters, the kind that turn your regular glasses into bifocals.  I put on one upside down at the top of my right lens.  I also use a FO front sight and shot with both eyes open.  When firing at a target I lowered my head a little to see through the diopter.  Shoot, then lift your head so you can see where you are going.  It really works.

Another reason not to go with one far and one near is you have no depth perception.  That is not a good thing if you are running around USPSA COFs.

I have had mono vision for years. It's never affected my depth perception. I have no problem running around a stage. I have hicked in the mountains many times and never did I feel my depth perception was compromising my safety. Come to think of it; I have never thought I had or noticed any problem with my depth perception. I certainly agree mono vision is not for everyone. My wife could not adjust to it. However, if you can get used to it your brain will adjust and your eyes will focus on what you are looking at. For example if your focus is on the target it will be in focus and the dot will appear slightly blurry (for me it does). If I am focusing on group shooting I can focus on the dot and it's clear. It's the same when shooting iron sights. I can have a very crisp front sight with a slightly blurry target or have a crisp target and slightly blurry front sight. For me, I'm glad I tried mono vision. It's not going to be perfect and it's certainly not for everyone. But, it's been the best compromise I have seen to date for me.   

I tried shooting glasses bifocals with the bifocal on top,, worked good for me, on just stand and shoot target stuff,,, but no use moving or shooting around a wall. What got me was I never had to wear glasses before,, go to Optometrist,, and they ask, "Well what do u want"  umm  I want to be able to see....  " Well what do you want ?" umm yeh get nowhere.
I then asked her when her car breaks down, how would she like it if mechanic asked her what part to change,,,  vs I'll just make it go.
Ended up with bifocals... top part is great for driving,,, bottom part is great for reading if u put the material at end of nose... I dont read like that usually I have to read gauges 3 feet away or read on a computer.. 
Tried the transitions,, trifovcal ish with no lines,,, Was HORRIBLE !,,, lady at liquor store wouldnt sell me Jim Beam cause I kept missing the counter with the bottle.