Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ball powder for 77 gr 223?

MJinPA

Thanks and one more follow up question if you don’t mind. Crimp or no crimp? If crimp how much? 

I use a Lee FCD to just remove the flare the the M die produces to seat the bullet. The actual crimping part of the die is just a touch in from doing nothing. So really, no crimp. I haven’t measured it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cvincent said:

I use a Lee FCD to just remove the flare the the M die produces to seat the bullet. The actual crimping part of the die is just a touch in from doing nothing. So really, no crimp. I haven’t measured it.

Much appreciated, thank you and Happy New Year!

7 hours ago, Shorty4087 said:

Crimp or no crimp? If crimp how much? 

Long story short try this:  Load two dummy rounds, one with a crimp and one without.  Chamber the rounds 10 times and check the COAL as you go.

I no longer crimp.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, 12glocks said:

Long story short try this:  Load two dummy rounds, one with a crimp and one without.  Chamber the rounds 10 times and check the COAL as you go.

I no longer crimp.

So I tried this and the COAL actually lengthened, which I thought was interesting. I inspected the bullet and it was scratched up. I installed the Lee FCD and adjusted until it held consistently after 10x as suggested. Total crimp is less than 0.002” per my measurements so testing starts tomorrow, thanks again.

22 hours ago, Shorty4087 said:

So I tried this and the COAL actually lengthened, which I thought was interesting. I inspected the bullet and it was scratched up. I installed the Lee FCD and adjusted until it held consistently after 10x as suggested. Total crimp is less than 0.002” per my measurements so testing starts tomorrow, thanks again.

With the Dillon crimp dies I had more movement than with uncrimped rounds.  Also as I recollect I had no movement the first few chamberings.  How many thousands movement did you get if I may inquire?

On 1/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, 427Cobra said:

I use 25.0 of 8208, and use Lee FCD to close the bell

Seems about a grain high for a 77, about right for a 69.  The highest published load data I know of for 8208 is 23.2 grain on the Hodgdon site for a 77 grain Sierra.  I load above that.

11 hours ago, 12glocks said:

With the Dillon crimp dies I had more movement than with uncrimped rounds.  Also as I recollect I had no movement the first few chamberings.  How many thousands movement did you get if I may inquire?

0.003-0.005” increase in COAL after performing the test in my uncleaned AR with uncrimped rounds. Using a kinetic bullet puller to remove the projectiles took quite a few hard whacks as well so it wasn’t super loose. I’m only using a Lyman M die for prep/bell as the powder charges are added offline for the initial tests.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 23.5 g (2,850 FPS)of SW Tactical rifle for 55g and the same loading for 68g (2744 FPS). I am planning to switch from the hornady 68g HPBT to the 77g Nosler CC HPBT w/ cannelure and was in the search for a powder. Since I am new to reloading rifle, I tend to stay away from max charge and look for powders that give me more headroom in the high end to get max velocity with low pressure.
From this topic, I reviewed the load information for TAC, CFE223, 8208 XBR, SW Precision Rifle, and varget.
I settled on CFE223, because of the above. I’ll report back when I get a chance to load and test some.

• 1 month later...

TAC with the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Match with cannelure. Western provides true 5.56mm NATO data. Others stick a heavier bullet into a .223 REM case and call it 5.56mm NATO. Testing the Hornady against the Sierra 77 gr. HPBT w/cannelure, both open-tip match, reproducing the Mk 262 load, the Sierra doesn't hold up well in water jug tests at 50 yards. That's at 2700 FPS. The Hornady 75 gr. at 2750 FPS, both velocities from 16" barrels, is better constructed.

Sub MOA for 5 rounds at 100 yards and the load is not a Max Charge. AA 2520 is also good, but SDs are better with TAC. AA 2460 will also get 2750 FPS with the 75 gr. Hornady, but closer to a Max Charge. This load is essentially a replication of the Hornady Tap 2 factory load as well as their 75 gr. 5.56mm NATO Match load,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get great velocity and accuracy using CFE223 behind 55-60gr bullets. With 77gr SMK CFE223 gave good velocity but couldn't find the accuracy that Varget gave. I single load 77 SMKs with Varget using the Charge master  lite.

ARBilly