Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite frame?

BigBamBoo

It really depends on the grip you want for the pistol.  If you want an EVO grip, then JEM (metal) or PT.  If you want a Cheely E2 grip, then Cheely Custom or JEM (poly).  Limcat says their checkered grip fits on 'STI' frames with little fitting, so again JEM (poly) of Cheely Custom.

I just finished an Open gun using a JEM poly frame and a Cheely Custom e2 grip.  The grip fit perfectly with no fitting.  The frame was spot on.  It was so good I emailed Ed teasing him.  I told him I was really pissed, because I had all these gunsmithing tools and I didn't get to use any of them.  Actually, I did.  I had to ream the GS holes to remove burrs.

My next build will be a Cheely Open heavy frame, just because I want to see one. 

Maybe I can sweet talk Matt into selling me one of the slides he has stashed away in the back room for his builds.  He stopped selling them.  So did PT.   I'm really disgusted by the quality of the slides I can buy now.  JEM's slides were good.  I just used one.  But his supplier's machine is broken and he can't male any more slides.  He's tooling up to make his own, but that may take a while.

Hello: Just pick a frame you like that has the features you want. The slide is the real trick now. I would only use Caspian slides since the rest all seem to be lacking or breaking in weird places. I have seen 4 slides from 4 different makers all crack in the same place. That tells me they are all coming from the same supplier. PT does not sell just the slides any longer but they were good also. Thanks, Eric

I'd lay off the Caspian slides as well.  The one I'm using right now disgusts me.  The last STI slide I used was better, and that's really saying something.  The last two Caspians had problems also.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

I'd lay off the Caspian slides as well.  The one I'm using right now disgusts me.  The last STI slide I used was better, and that's really saying something.  The last two Caspians had problems also.

what problems did you have with Caspian?

Hello: I wouldn't use a Cheely/CK Arms slide since I have seen 3 of them crack here in a low round count pistol. As I said above I think lots of the slides are coming from the same source. I still like the Caspian slides. Good steel in them and mill up nicely. I wish PT would sell their slide again. Thanks, Eric

• 8 months later...