Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 510c and astigmatism

hiker88

I’m looking into getting a Holosun 510c for my PCC but I have astigmatism. I’m currently using a Vortex sparc ar and have other 2moa red dot sights. All of which have dots that appear like star bursts to me. Has anyone with astigmatism used or currently using a 510c see a dot distortion? Or is it a crisp dot and ring?

Nobody in my local matches use the 510c, so there’s no way for me to check firsthand. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

You should try to take a look at one. I can't think of a reason it would be any better for you. I have astigmatism and have been dealing with red blobs for a long time, up until cataract surgery. With new lenses, there is just some traces of astig. The dot that I really liked prior to surgery was the delta point 7.5. For close hoser stuff, center the blob and shoot. The blob was sort of triangle shaped so I could pick up the peak for more precision stuff. You are wearing corrective lenses, aren't you?

Later,

Chuck

18 minutes ago, hiker88 said:

I’m looking into getting a Holosun 510c for my PCC but I have astigmatism. I’m currently using a Vortex sparc ar and have other 2moa red dot sights. All of which have dots that appear like star bursts to me. Has anyone with astigmatism used or currently using a 510c see a dot distortion? Or is it a crisp dot and ring?

Nobody in my local matches use the 510c, so there’s no way for me to check firsthand. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

I use the 510c on my  Ruger PC9 in PCC. I’m 61 with Astigmatism. Without my prescription glasses the dot is messed up. Glasses bring it to crystal clear. Donyou wear prescription glasses?

1 hour ago, hiker88 said:

Yes, I do. 🤓

41 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Is your dominant eye lense set to distant?

Could be a bunch of things. I wear bifocals, and i’m Cross-dominant. Leafs eye dominant and shoot right handed. My vision is not horrible, 20/80 or so. My right lense is set to correct at My pistol front sight. My left is my normal distance prescription. I put a translucent sticker on my left lense to block my front sight. This gives me a great sight picture withou my dominant eye messing things up. Target is a bit blury, but it should be if you are focused on sight picture. I used to shoot with astigmatism correcting contacts. I didn’t like them. The orientation of the lenses on your eyes is critical and if they move around they could cause what you are seeing.

46 minutes ago, Jay1957 said:

Could be a bunch of things. I wear bifocals, and i’m Cross-dominant. Leafs eye dominant and shoot right handed. My vision is not horrible, 20/80 or so. My right lense is set to correct at My pistol front sight. My left is my normal distance prescription. I put a translucent sticker on my left lense to block my front sight. This gives me a great sight picture withou my dominant eye messing things up. Target is a bit blury, but it should be if you are focused on sight picture. I used to shoot with astigmatism correcting contacts. I didn’t like them. The orientation of the lenses on your eyes is critical and if they move around they could cause what you are seeing.

I need to try that sticker on my left lens. My prescription glasses are set similar to yours. I do notice that with bigger dot sizes, from 6 moa and up, the circle is sharper without any distortion. 

I’ll try to see if I can check a 510c firsthand. Or just go with C-more with a bigger dot

4 minutes ago, hiker88 said:

For my glasses, right lens (dominant) is set to the distance of my iron sight at about 1 yard while my left lens is for distance.

You need to replace the lens for your OD for target focus. Due to the magic of optics, your eye sees the dot as the same distance as the targets. Fuzzy targets, fuzzy dot. Before my surgery, I had 2 lenses for my OD: one a couple yards past the front sight for shooting irons and one at my "distance" Rx for shooting a dot. 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You should try to take a look at one. I can't think of a reason it would be any better for you. I have astigmatism and have been dealing with red blobs for a long time, up until cataract surgery. With new lenses, there is just some traces of astig. The dot that I really liked prior to surgery was the delta point 7.5. For close hoser stuff, center the blob and shoot. The blob was sort of triangle shaped so I could pick up the peak for more precision stuff. You are wearing corrective lenses, aren't you?

Later,

Chuck

The thought of surgery scares me 😱 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You need to replace the lens for your OD for target focus. Due to the magic of optics, your eye sees the dot as the same distance as the targets. Fuzzy targets, fuzzy dot. Before my surgery, I had 2 lenses for my OD: one a couple yards past the front sight for shooting irons and one at my "distance" Rx for shooting a dot. 

Thanks, Chuck. I’m due for an eye check up soon. I’ll have a set of glasses made based on your suggestion.

And do your self a favor, and go see a real eye doc and not just an optition

Just now, hiker88 said:

The thought of surgery scares me 😱 

I hear that but I had no choice since I was growing my own sunglasses. As long as I have you here, let me say this: Be sure to get looked at by a real eye doc, not just an optician. When I was getting laid off from work, I hit everything covered by insurance and I went to the local lasic wiz. He gave me the total scan and he re-did a couple tests. He then asked me if I had one complaint about my corrected vision, what would it be? I told him that my OD corrected vision is nowhere near as sharp as my SD.

He then told me why. I had this thing called EBMD (google it if interested). I must of had it for decades and no other guy saw it for at least 30 years! He did a treatment and the dot was round again! He also identified me as having near-moderate cataracts at the time. later, he did the cataract surgery. So now there is very little residual RX in either eye and my distance vision is 20/15. I need simple +1.5 readers and I have some stick on bifocals for my shooting glasses for when i CRO. Go see a real doc!

42 minutes ago, hiker88 said:

Thanks, Chuck. I’m due for an eye check up soon. I’ll have a set of glasses made based on your suggestion.

Good point. I mainly shoot limited. I have a distinct advantage in that I squad with an Opthamologist.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

And do your self a favor, and go see a real eye doc and not just an optition

I hear that but I had no choice since I was growing my own sunglasses. As long as I have you here, let me say this: Be sure to get looked at by a real eye doc, not just an optician. When I was getting laid off from work, I hit everything covered by insurance and I went to the local lasic wiz. He gave me the total scan and he re-did a couple tests. He then asked me if I had one complaint about my corrected vision, what would it be? I told him that my OD corrected vision is nowhere near as sharp as my SD.

He then told me why. I had this thing called EBMD (google it if interested). I must of had it for decades and no other guy saw it for at least 30 years! He did a treatment and the dot was round again! He also identified me as having near-moderate cataracts at the time. later, he did the cataract surgery. So now there is very little residual RX in either eye and my distance vision is 20/15. I need simple +1.5 readers and I have some stick on bifocals for my shooting glasses for when i CRO. Go see a real doc!

I do get my annual check up with my ophthalmologist. I found one that I can discuss my shooting vision needs. Maybe, I’ll bring a red dot sight on my next visit to see what he recommends for my dot issue. 😉

On 2/17/2019 at 8:18 AM, hiker88 said:

Thanks in advance.

Sir, I also have astigmatism.

May I recommend prism sights - I just got my first and it is superior in clarity/resolution to my red dots.

1 hour ago, blueorison said:

Sir, I also have astigmatism.

May I recommend prism sights - I just got my first and it is superior in clarity/resolution to my red dots.

I considered a prism sight as well but I’m trying move away from tube style sights. The field of view with a C-more sight and something like a 510c is so much more open to me.

I've used trijicon RMR, RX30, MRO. Aimpoint H1, T1, M3, PRO. Eotech XPS. Burris FF2 and 3. Leupold DPP. Primary arms and holosun T1 clones. Vortex sparc. C-more. Basically, a whole bunch of red dots and not a single one was a clear defined dot (except for the Trijicon RX30 which isnt a real red dot and had a terrible amount of blue tint). Everything looked like a smear or pixelated (eotech). 

Finally tried the 510C on a demo rifle. Went home and bought one for myself. It is the only red dot I've used that is clear and defined for my eyes. 

1 hour ago, jon49erfan said:

I've used trijicon RMR, RX30, MRO. Aimpoint H1, T1, M3, PRO. Eotech XPS. Burris FF2 and 3. Leupold DPP. Primary arms and holosun T1 clones. Vortex sparc. C-more. Basically, a whole bunch of red dots and not a single one was a clear defined dot (except for the Trijicon RX30 which isnt a real red dot and had a terrible amount of blue tint). Everything looked like a smear or pixelated (eotech). 

Finally tried the 510C on a demo rifle. Went home and bought one for myself. It is the only red dot I've used that is clear and defined for my eyes. 

Wow, thank you so much for sharing. This is huge, because my experience mirrors yours. Ive tried everything out there. Most are very useable,  but if I focus or use magnification, that goes out the window and they become smears or two pixels instead of one (to borrow your analogy).

I will check out the 510C on your recommendation.

P.s. I agree about not liking the blue tints. I thought I was the only one.

I have trouble with all most red dot sights but after trying all that I could put my hands on the Trijicon MRO is the best for me. I recently tried one of the sig sights with the circle dot similar to  a EOTech and it looked like about 4 circles with 3 crosses on top of each other.

I have astigmatism and have found that most RDS flare. I had an Aimpoint H1 that was pretty good. Currently i’ve settled on Vortex Spitfire 1X DRT, for my PCC and bay stages AR. The etched reticle does not flare at all. The 2moa dot is pretty small and I only use it for longer shots. Most of my shots are using inner ring. The Spitfire is larger than the 501 but that’s not an issue on a AR. It also cost more, but I found mine on sale fit less than $200. I have 1 of the older style with the knob for brightness and 1 of the newer that uses push buttons for brightness. I prefer the knob style better.  For me It just seems easier to use.