Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses lens color advantage?

vgdvc

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I"m  missing the consistencies  ….   what are you seeing ?

In the above there are at least four contributors  have found the Prizm lenses to be a benefit. Red or variation thereof seems to be one of the more mentioned colors. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, vgdvc said:

In the above there are at least four contributors  have found the Prizm lenses to be a benefit. Red or variation thereof seems to be one of the more mentioned colors. 

I also use my polarized Oakley daily prism sunglasses when shooting with a red dot. Compared to the amber or gray lens of my SI Ballistic M frame, the red dot pops out more on the daily prism lenses. Having it polarized makes a whole lot of difference too.

1 hour ago, rooster mcbee said:

I shoot Steel Challenge almost exclusively these days.  Open guns, white targets against earth/dirt backgrounds.  Any recommendations for this situation?

Try the Oakley prism TR45 lens for low light or TR22 for medium light. They’ll enhance the target and red set against the dirt background.

Oakley

5 minutes ago, snipaz2420 said:

What frames is everyone running with the Prizm lenses? I like having thin frames under my ear pro

I run the Speed Jacket frames under my muffs without issue.  They have thin ear stems as well.

25 minutes ago, snipaz2420 said:

What frames is everyone running with the Prizm lenses? I like having thin frames under my ear pro

Good Question.     I'm on the fence about this set which includes the new 3.0 frame which is supposed to have thinner temples for better hearing protection and comfort.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1093486133759/oakley-si-ballistic-m-frame-30-shooting-glasses

Edited by jrdoran

I have those Ballistic M Frame glasses with the TR22 and TR45 lenses. It also comes with a set of clear lens. I’ve had it for a while now and all I do is go to Oakley’s website and buy the replacement lens if I need new ones.

The Ballistic M frames comes with the older 2.0 and the newer 3.0 models. The 3.0 has a slightly different mounting point but the lens are interchangeable with the 2.0. 

If if you are military, Leo, or first responder, you can go and register at Oakley’si.com. The prices are way lower compared to the civilian population. That $250 Ballistic M frame is about $165 plus $8 from Oakley’si.com. You just need to send them a photocopy or picture of your credentials.

Funny timing on this thread. I bought the prizm 22's and found they let too much light through on bright days. I ended up doing some research and found the deep blue prizm lens actually filters out the most light. The FO is hard to miss with these lenses and they are super clear. Highly recommended. 

Oakley Prizm TR22 and TR45

lately I have been using Prizm Trail 36% Base Tint  it was awesome for trail running and shooting in shadows or bright light. I find it better when shooting matches where foliage is involved

• 6 months later...

I got a pair of Rudy tralyx xl glasses.  They came with clear  to black, clear to laser red, and clear lenses.  I absolutely love them until I put my hat on. The hat blocks the sunlight which means they do not get more than 20 to 30% of the darkness they would with your half off.  They offer no other impact lenses for this frame. The only other color they offer is multicast orange  (not impact rated)which to me looks a little weird. So not much options for that frame.  You would think for as much money as they sell these for they would offer a few colors that work under a hat.  Included a picture of what the glasses look like in full sun under a hat and without a hat. 

03D93D54-C650-4A68-A6A2-FEB897F3A203.jpeg

C755B94E-9F81-45F8-B1F3-CA209F602749.jpeg

7 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

Oakley TR45, Developed for military and 3 gun shooting.  Also the Oakley Prizm trail works well for shooting. Prizm road is also decent for shooting.

Yeap. These all work really well for me. With the bright Texas sun, I prefer Prizm Trail and Road. However, Oakleys scratch incredibly easily. Just looking at them wrong will make them scratch, haha.  Rudy's are scratch resistant. In the end, I have succumbed to the fact that they are disposable.

7 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

I run Oakley prism TR45 lens in Tombstone Reap variety  pretty much all the time unless its dark or raining then I switch to Clear. I rarely use TR22 but they are good for very bright days.

Yep tr45 make everything everything pop better especially a dot. I hardly ever run the TR22 unless shooting on a very sunny day with berms without grass.