Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses lens color advantage?

vgdvc

Hello. Has anyone taken note or experimented with different shooting glasses lens colors under different conditions when using a red dot? I have heard rose/vermilion or brown may highlight the dot. I have tried rose-colored but I'm undecided if it actually is a benefit. Could just be the way my visual is relaying feedback to me. Your experiences welcomed,thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use target orange but that is for cardboard targets with a cardboard-colored desert behind. It makes the target stand out a bit. I would suggest that you try to borrow some different color glasses and give them a try in your terrain. If possible, either have a separate pair of clear lenses or glasses for the early morning or late in the day stages. 😉

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I use target orange but that is for cardboard targets with a cardboard-colored desert behind. It makes the target stand out a bit. I would suggest that you try to borrow some different color glasses and give them a try in your terrain. If possible, either have a separate pair of clear lenses or glasses for the early morning or late in the day stages. 😉

Yes. I do have a few pair. I'm actually looking for one that will help with medium/bright conditions and "wash out"on white steel targets with a red dot.

I’ve shot a lot of skeet and Sporting Clays over the years. Glass color is mostly about target and background contrast and controlling light, or in other words the glass color is used to help with target acquisition in varying light condition. Bust advice is to try different colors on a ranger you shoot at and then buy glasses with interchangeable lenses an an assortment of the colors you may need. Remember you will face an overcast morning, high sun at noon and even direct sun in the face. In Sporting Clays I carried 3 sets and would have carried more but prescription lenses are pricey.

Depending on lighting & weather conditions, I swap the lenses on my Oakley's from the Prism TR45, TR22, or Black Iridium polarized. The Prism 22 & 45 make everything VERY clear and when you take them off, natural or indoor lighting seems very harsh.

Hello: I tried alot of different lens colors on my Rudy Project Rydon glasses. For general all around use I am using the brown tint lens. We have bays here with shade and some with wide open sun. Most of the ground cover is either grass or gravel. On overcast days I use the photochromic clear-black. The muiltilaser orange and red work great for fishing. One thing I know is that everyones eyes are different and as you get older your eyes change on what you like. I found the racing reds where too bright for my eyes even 14 years ago. The last thing I learned was at altitude you need darker lenses than at sea level. Thanks, Eric

I heard hwansik Kim talk about buying a bunch of Rudy lenses to experiment with on ben’s last video podcast...
he said he did see a difference but hadn’t settled on a color just yet... (he’s shooting mostly carry optics right now)

After hearing that, I was curious and searched some past enos threads and they all sound like this one... some people recommend this or that, but no one settles on just one lens if they can afford it.

I think the impact laser red or something like that was mentioned by hwansik for seeing the dot... this was after Ben mentioned he’d been using Oakley golf glasses off and on for the past few months and he notices a difference.

Burnt orangish/copper, browns, and red/pink seem to pretty dramatically increase my red/green contrast.

Makes a green fiber "pop" don't notice any major differences with red sights optic or fiber, but it's been a long time since I looked at one with another tint.

Never messed with a green lense that wasn't super dark, blue makes everything dull/flat for me.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, MikeRussell said:

Depending on lighting & weather conditions, I swap the lenses on my Oakley's from the Prism TR45, TR22, or Black Iridium polarized. The Prism 22 & 45 make everything VERY clear and when you take them off, natural or indoor lighting seems very harsh.

This.  I run the 45s most of the time and they are great.  If it's a bluebird day I'll swap them for the 22s and if it's really overcast I'll go clear.  Prism lenses and dots work very well together.

I’m in the Oakley Prizm camp as well. I switch between the TR22 and TR45 based on how bright it is. They both help out target contrast really well, except for standard cardboard targets against a brown background. I don’t know of ANY lenses that will help out with that one. 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, vgdvc said:

Hello. Has anyone taken note or experimented with different shooting glasses lens colors under different conditions when using a red dot? I have heard rose/vermilion or brown may highlight the dot. I have tried rose-colored but I'm undecided if it actually is a benefit. Could just be the way my visual is relaying feedback to me. Your experiences welcomed,thanks.

Depends a lot on the lens, not always just the colour.

Blue/greens will help you pick up the red dot/white target contrast.  Even reds will help.

I use both Oakley Prizms and Rudy Racing Red. The tech they use do their job, regardless of colour.

Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, blueorison said:

Depends a lot on the lens, not always just the colour.

Blue/greens will help you pick up the red dot/white target contrast.  Even reds will help.

I use both Oakley Prizms and Rudy Racing Red. The tech they use do their job, regardless of colour.

Hope that helps!

Yes, thanks. Yours and others give some direction to start.  I'm seeing some consistencies. I appreciate all the input everyone has given.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, MikeRussell said:

I have access to the M frame Alpha and use the Prism Jade Iridium most of the time and the Prizm Snow Black Iridium in extreme bright conditions  (they are  on a modified TR22 base lens ).. Use the TR22  & TR45 in overcast conditions and I have switched to the TR45 for indoor matches over a clear lens.. 

They all help with the red dot and target to background contrast, Cant stand to use a non Prism lens for anything now.

I wear clear (89% VLT) when it is dim.  If it is heavily overcast I werar Yellow (85% VLT).  On Bright days I wear Ignitor (26% VLT).  here is a picture.  https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/Aegis-Arc-Echo-Replacement-Lenses/p/AEGLNSIG   It adds contrast.   I never wear the dark grey lenses that came with.  They don't do anything but darken.  BTW, these are for SCSA and USPSA.  Fot shotgunning I wear other colors, depending on target color and background.