Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range for Carbine sight in

262alcante

I think most agree that it depends on what kind of match you shoot and what the long range expectations are.  Most majors I shoot you can expect up to 500 yd stages so a 200 yd zero is fairly common with known dopes before and beyond that.  Some matches are restricted to shorter range so a 25yd would be fine.

Most guys zero at 50 yards, it will return to zero at about 200. Confirm zero at 200 if you have the chance.

You can see by these charts the 50/200 gets you point of aim hits from 0-250 and then drops off less than a 100 yard zero after that.

50/200  

Screenshot_20190216-202732.thumb.png.57dc37ca22fbf77fff214bef2e8cd34d.png

2015aac9071362e9718c98468d070972.jpg

0b2d41cd0ec664fbba2fc3f877bf904d.jpg

There are TON of variables that go into answering that question. Are you using irons, a red dot, or a magnified optic? If a magnified optic, which one, and does it have a reticle with any kind of holdover markings (BDC, mils, MOA, etc.)?

On 2/16/2019 at 8:20 PM, 262alcante said:

What is the best range distance to sight in a 16"AR15 for three gun competition.The Normal 100 yrds or not.

Depends on your optic.

I would use a 100yd min. The tactical crowd will tell you 25yds is gtg. Definitely ignore this advice.

Zero at 100yds and find the median target distance you'll be shooting; align that with the fact that your reticle has a BDC/doesn't have a BDC, and add a BDC app like Strelok (there are other free ones, online, on major mfg pages, also), then make the decision whether you want your BDC to align the most precisely to the median target distance and see if a 100yd or 200yd zero gets you there.

I zero red dots/Limited rifles at 200yds because because of the way the dots work/less holdover and the fact that holding under 100yds isn't hard at all with a 200yd zero. 

TL;DR - depends on your reticle and how you want to use it on median target distance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all an "It depends" or personal preference answer.

For my limited set up (dot), I had a much higher riser than most, so a 50/200 was anything but. I still zero'd at 50, and just new my dopes out to 500 with whatever round I was using.

For my tacops setup now, I zero it for 77gr at 200, because it makes sense for my BDC. I then confirm 55gr ammo off that zero so I know if it is hitting true to zero, but my BDC will then be different.

Get a ballistic app, (I use strelok pro), figure out what FPS your ammo is running at (buy or borrow a chrono) that you will be shooting and play with your zero numbers in the app until you find something that works for you and your equipment. Zero it at that then confirm it and see if you like it.

What’s your setup?  Some scopes are designed for a specific zero distance. Some will depend on what your range is capable of zeroing at. 50 is the minimum I use. With the LR Ammo I use its very close at 200 and also matches the BDC on my scope. If your range can go 200 and you are accurate enough that works better. I see a lot of people who try to zero further than they are capable of shooting a tight group. At 200 you also need to pay attention to what the wind is doing. It’s not a huge difference but it’s there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...