Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSSSC- setup crew shooting stages weekend before.

Climbhard

A little info on Rio Salado from an outsider who has been there many, many times. They should be commended for getting an early start building stages. Their matches there are normally rock solid. See the graphic. This range is used by many clubs and individuals. The pistol bays (P in the image) and the Training bays (T in the image) are in high demand. The bays circled in back may be that way also. If one want's to get the build started early, the stuff that in those bays will be used by the other clubs. Shutting down the entire range for 2 weeks (or more) is not acceptable. The build schedule could be compressed but the (mostly unpaid) build staff will not likely be good with that. So, put up fault lines, walls and barrels. Targets can move, swingers can be changed. It's all good.

image.png.85bc219a0ad8180dd3367ea1f1e4f4d1.png

28 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Now if you really want an advantage, show up a day early, and watch the staff shoot all the movers, *exactly* the way they will be set up for the main match.

I noticed that Alex Gutt did this the last time I shot staff day. 

Wasn't sure if he was there to learn anything or just watching us for the comedy. 

2 hours ago, Climbhard said:

I guess I'll learn to not care as much as I strive to reach your level of wisdom.  

Everybody cares, most folks just learn not to get excited, I think that is where the wisdom part comes in. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

A little info on Rio Salado from an outsider who has been there many, many times. They should be commended for getting an early start building stages. Their matches there are normally rock solid. See the graphic. This range is used by many clubs and individuals. The pistol bays (P in the image) and the Training bays (T in the image) are in high demand. The bays circled in back may be that way also. If one want's to get the build started early, the stuff that in those bays will be used by the other clubs. Shutting down the entire range for 2 weeks (or more) is not acceptable. The build schedule could be compressed but the (mostly unpaid) build staff will not likely be good with that. So, put up fault lines, walls and barrels. Targets can move, swingers can be changed. It's all good.

That's some good and interesting info, and makes alot of sense. Thanks for posting that, chuck.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, ChuckS said:

If you really want to get a good look at the stages, volunteer to RO a revo squad. With most of those folks shooting minor, you totally get to see multiple 8-round stage plans. 😉

Now when it was all 6 shot you'd see a LOT of interesting variations.  Now with 8 shots and most stages are 8 round neutral it isn't quite as entertaining.

I've done both at the Nationals, and it was a hoot each time.  2 years got to shoot the same squad with Jerry, Cliff, Mike and a lot of really good shooters.

The last couple I attended were at PASA and there were a LOT of Revolver Shooters, great times.

Edited by pskys2

17 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Now when it was all 6 shot you'd see a LOT of interesting variations.  Now with 8 shots and most stages are 8 round neutral it isn't quite as entertaining.

I've done both at the Nationals, and it was a hoot each time.  2 years got to shoot the same squad with Jerry, Cliff, Mike and a lot of really good shooters.

The last couple I attended were at PASA and there were a LOT of Revolver Shooters, great times.

Yeah, back before 8 round minor in revolver, I made it a point to NEVER watch a revo walkthrough :roflol:

Moving targets around a little bit, changing the shot difficulty by adding or removing partial targets, and switching up the start position location can dramatically change how any particular stage can or will be shot. Activated moving target timing and strategy can be "Figured Out" by simply videoing the activation then reviewing the footage. Getting to a major match at least 1 day early so you can do stage recon is the key to success.

If the exact same stage designs, target presentations and start positions are being used in club matches and left standing to be reused for a major match then that is blatant cheating per the USPSA rules. I am not cool with that. But if things are being switched up for the major match I am fine with it because it will be a unique configuration for everyone at the major match.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s a good thing the diagrams are always to scale, and look exactly like the actual stage.

Yeah some, not all,  level 2 and above I've seen are posted on a grid that 1 square =1yard.

Not that hard to set up for club match practice.

Pretty hard to set up all 12, 16 or 18 for a club match though.

Also....

I Always get a better score when I have to re-shoot a stage... :D 

Edited by WaJim

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

If the exact same stage designs, target presentations and start positions are being used in club matches and left standing to be reused for a major match then that is blatant cheating per the USPSA rules. I am not cool with that. But if things are being switched up for the major match I am fine with it because it will be a unique configuration for everyone at the major match.

If it’s known to the shooters ahead of time that the stage will be re-used, then it’s definitely blatantly not OK. 

If it isnt known to the shooters, and the stage designers etc. that do know don’t shoot the major match for score, then it’s borderline. Leaving them set up definitely pushes it more towards not OK in my opinion, while setting them up at club matches months ahead of time and then setting them up again for a major is closer to OK. 

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

The two stages posted on facebook that prompted me to start this tread sure looked very similar to the match book.  same start, location of targets.  Maybe ALL the targets were not the same but the positions were the same and the swinger was the same, the start was the same.  So maybe if they will still be "Tweaked" (their word not mine) its not blatantly illegal but sure seems less than fair.  

Then everyone chimes in with "when you get more experience"... "its no big deal".....  Did anyone ripping my wisdom or experience even compare the facebook videos to the stage drawings...   I really doubt it.  So whatever.

2 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

The two stages posted on facebook that prompted me to start this tread sure looked very similar to the match book.  same start, location of targets.  Maybe ALL the targets were not the same but the positions were the same and the swinger was the same, the start was the same.  So maybe if they will still be "Tweaked" (their word not mine) its not blatantly illegal but sure seems less than fair.  

Then everyone chimes in with "when you get more experience"... "its no big deal".....  Did anyone ripping my wisdom or experience even compare the facebook videos to the stage drawings...   I really doubt it.  So whatever.

Maybe you should post some links so we can see what you see.  

18 hours ago, HCH said:

Maybe you should post some links so we can see what you see.  

Check out their FB page.  Lots of videos from yesterday of people shooting what appear to be final stages.   This is really bogus.  I don’t belive I’ll be going back next year the way they seem to run a mini training camp in the stages before the match. 

33 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

Check out their FB page.  Lots of videos from yesterday of people shooting what appear to be final stages.   This is really bogus.  I don’t belive I’ll be going back next year the way they seem to run a mini training camp in the stages before the match. 

That was the staff shooting the match. There was rain forecast for today (Thursday) so they moved the staff up a day.  The normal schedule is staff Thursday, Revo Friday, main match Sat and Sunday.

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

That was the staff shooting the match. There was rain forecast for today (Thursday) so they moved the staff up a day.  The normal schedule is staff Thursday, Revo Friday, main match Sat and Sunday.

Thanks, for the clarification. I didn’t know that