Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with setting my load for my Sid mpx gen2

So I bought a gen2 max from a buddy. Trying to work up a load for the gun.

So I loaded up 24 rounds each of the following to test functionality in the mpx;

All powder loads are using cleanshot and using 124 grain blue bullets and all loaded to the same OAL of 1.1475

3.9 grns

4.3 grns

4.6 grns

4.9 gens

All of the above loads functioned the gun without any failures in full and partial mags.

My old pcc load of 3.7 @ 1.11 would only run if there was 10 rounds in the mag. Loaded to a full mag they would fte after the first round.

So my question is, based on several comments about running a HOT load, should I stay with the 4.9 load, go to the lowest load that worked (3.9), or split the difference and go with a load of 4.4?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

In order of importance IMHO when evaluating loads:

Did you make PF.

Does it run reliably.  (Six rounds at each PF is not a large enough sample size for that question)

Acceptable accuracy.  We aren't shooting bullseye but you still need decent accuracy.

Dot bounce.  It's an MPX so there won't be much no matter what your load but it is still worth comparing.  I still rate accuracy above bounce with this carbine.

Recoil.  I've shot major loads out of an MPX and recoil was still light.  

1 hour ago, Neomet said:

In order of importance IMHO when evaluating loads:

Did you make PF.

Does it run reliably.  (Six rounds at each PF is not a large enough sample size for that question)

Acceptable accuracy.  We aren't shooting bullseye but you still need decent accuracy.

Dot bounce.  It's an MPX so there won't be much no matter what your load but it is still worth comparing.  I still rate accuracy above bounce with this carbine.

Recoil.  I've shot major loads out of an MPX and recoil was still light.  

I made 25 rounds of each load. not 24 total.

11 hours ago, mstamper said:

I made 25 rounds of each load. not 24 total.

Fair enough.  My math skills suck.   I would still want to shoot a match's worth of ammo through it but that is just me.  

Edited by Neomet

Be careful. Most folks that get into the MPX and start calling them junk and wont run is because of the mouse fart loads. The gun will run with good ammo and give you the soft shooter that it is. The gun shoots so soft that sometimes the extra light loads don't pay off in a rifle that doesn't cycle 100%. I shot factory Federal in mine and it never missed a beat. Wish I had it back.

9 minutes ago, troupe said:

Be careful. Most folks that get into the MPX and start calling them junk and wont run is because of the mouse fart loads. The gun will run with good ammo and give you the soft shooter that it is. The gun shoots so soft that sometimes the extra light loads don't pay off in a rifle that doesn't cycle 100%. I shot factory Federal in mine and it never missed a beat. Wish I had it back.

I hear you. I have decided, until I can get the loads chrono'd, to go with a 4.4grns of clean shot with my 124grn blue bullet using cci small pistol primers loaded to an OAL of 1.1375. That is sort of the middle ground of the rounds tested. I am shooting an all classifier match tonight and we will see how it goes. Actually more worried about hitting the reloads than functionality right now. LOL

2 hours ago, troupe said:

I resemble that remark.  Painfully so.  LOL

As a point of reference Taran, who is arguably the most successful competitor with a MPX, mainly shoots factory 115s in his Gen 2.